Help! Put wool on a non wool wash?!

(8 Posts)
PigletJohn Tue 04-Dec-12 17:36:08

I am told that if you hand-wash woollens with shampoo (!) and cold rinse, the fibres will soften and relax and may wear back to size.

IveBeenGoodSantaIPromise Tue 04-Dec-12 15:44:52

Ok thanks guys. I don't have a tumble dryer but might take them over to my mum. I'm going to have to tell her I shrank her beautiful cardigans anyway!

tribpot Tue 04-Dec-12 15:29:55

I think it would help with the stiffness ... but I would ask over on Arts and Crafts, I am only half-remembering this story!

Frontpaw Tue 04-Dec-12 14:51:30

Won't that make it even smaller? I am now looking at DSs school jumper, just washed at 30* and now fits him. It was almost at his knees yesterday (smart mummy got him a size too big!).

tribpot Tue 04-Dec-12 14:49:46

You might want to post in Arts and Crafts as well - I have a feeling SoupDragon said she'd rescued a blanket/jacket in similar circs by tumble drying it?

IveBeenGoodSantaIPromise Tue 04-Dec-12 14:40:55

Bugger!

Frontpaw Tue 04-Dec-12 14:24:09

Oh dear. I don't think you can fix this. If it makes you feel better I had 4 beautiful, fluffy, soft cashmere / agora sweaters that I put on a delicate cycle and they would now fit Barbie.

IveBeenGoodSantaIPromise Tue 04-Dec-12 14:20:51

In my ridiculous tiredness just realised the wool wash I put on earlier went on a normal wash. Don't care about my dh old jumper but 3 beloved handmade cardigans of my 3mo look smaller and feel a bit hard?! Can I rescue them or have I ruined them?

Want to cry feel like such an idiot!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now