New carpet has bumps in it - what to do?

(7 Posts)
allnewtaketwo Tue 04-Dec-12 10:00:13

Had carpet fitted 2 weeks ago. There are several visible 'bumps' in it. Hard to describe, but looks like there are creases from either the way it was folded or stored before fitting.

Called the shop day after fitting (when I noticed it) and they said it will relax within a week or 2. But it hasn't. It annoys me every time I look at it, especially after paying so much for it.

Have any of you come across this before? Will it sort itself out or should I insist they come round to sort it out??

SquirtedFrankinScentsInStable Tue 04-Dec-12 14:15:06

Sounds to me like the fitter didnt do a good enough job. I would get them back out.

Surely if the "crease" relaxes, the carpet will be loose?

Its needs pulling up and refitting, it isn't tight enough. Phone back and tell them it hasn't relaxed and you want it sorting

Have never experienced that with new carpets, I'd get them back out.

allnewtaketwo Tue 04-Dec-12 14:49:04

Thanks all, I'll call them this afternoon

PigletJohn Tue 04-Dec-12 17:33:58

you can spray it with water using a plant mister and it will shrink. The carpet fitter may do that when you aren't looking. He will ruck up the carpet in front of the doorway to stop you coming in and interfering.

Inadequate stretching is more likely to give ripples than bumps. Sometimes you can push them towards the wall by hoovering in that direction (with an upright).

Is the subfloor dry? Is there hardboard under it?

Are your pet rats missing?

allnewtaketwo Tue 04-Dec-12 17:42:14

Lol at rats. Theres a definite crease in it which is the biggest problem

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now