Moving house nightmare

(5 Posts)
LilllyLovesLife Tue 04-Dec-12 09:31:25

I am 33 weeks pregnant and being sick twice daily, have no energy, constantly feel crap and have 2 little ones (3 and 4years), 3 school runs a day and a whole house to pack up and move.

Somebody please help getting me organised! From now till 10th Jan I am lucky enough to have both houses, although new one needs work doing to it as well in that time. We would love to be moving into new house in xmas hols really.

So far I have sold/given away loads but still have loads to go through. Ideally I want to sort through everything ideally so I don't take anything I don't need to keep with me as we have a slightly smaller house and 2 extra people (new baby and my partner).

The DDs hardly see their Dad and I don't have many people to ask for childcare - we have used most of our favours on hospital trips etc.

Anybody got any tips? Just feeling overwhelmed by it all if I am honest! I have been quite calm until now but I just keep looking around my house and wondering how the hell it's all going to fit in and how I am going to get it all done on time.

I am usually somebody who gets stuck in and goes mad doing a great job of everything and gets loads done in a short space of time. But currently finding even walking up the stairs exhusting and I can't sleep at night properly either so I am just knackered. I also suffer from a lot of lower back pain.

Any ideas?! hmm

ouchmyfanjo Tue 04-Dec-12 11:54:20

Hi lillly.not very good at organising myself but couldn't pass you by.
Sounds like way too much for you. You have my sympathy. Sorry that isn't practical help.
Would the budget stretch to someone to pack for you? Maybe suggest to family instead of presents the best thing they can give you this xmas is some help for a couple of hours?
I remember really good advice on a thread a while back about decluttering. Adapting that you could get 3 bags or boxes for bin move or charity. I would seriously lower your standards eg if you were planning to ebay save yourself the time and charity it instead.
Are you sure you couldnt move everthing then declutter when you are more able?
I am not pregnant and am still finding it hard to clean and organise for moving.
Can your partner help? Good luck for move and baby! brew

LilllyLovesLife Tue 04-Dec-12 13:51:21

Thanks. It's not really something anybody can do for me as they can't sort through what I want to keep/sell/chuck etc. I have given lots to charity, including a bag this morning after posting this! There is a little age concern shop right by the school so that helps massively!

My partner is good and helps when he can but he works full time and is doing the DIY etc at the new house - we had loads of unexpected problems - woodworm, water leaks etc and it's just been one thing after the other. We don't have the money to pay people to do things if we can avoid it so try and do everything ourselves if possible.

ClareMarriott Tue 04-Dec-12 16:19:03

Who are you getting to move you all from one property to another ? If it a removal firm, did you arrange with them for them and pack up everything, take it all to the new house and unpack it ? If not, can you rearrange it that they do. That way you will only have to think about what you would like to take with you. Alternatively, you could check out apdo -uk, the professional body for declutterers and see if there is anyone local to you who could help you (they should be able to take things away for you to the charity shops/ recycling places/ dump ) Best of luck

LilllyLovesLife Tue 04-Dec-12 17:05:10

Thanks. We don't have a removal company at all. I have a 7 seater and just using that to move a car load at a time, as and when it's packed. Selling most of my furniture as I'm moving in with my partner, who already had much newer and nicer furniture. He moved out of his flat already and hired a van for that.

Half the problem is that his sister is using the extension in our new house for storing her stuff (don't ask, long story) and that's the space I could use to stack boxes of mine. But instead I'm bringing stuff, and unpacking it straight away which is great but obviously very time consuming.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now