There will be no soot in the Fledglings sacks as they FLY through December and into the New Year

(663 Posts)
laurenamium Thu 29-Nov-12 19:30:51

If your house is a mess and you are strugging with C.H.A.O.S. (can't have anyone over syndrome) and S.T.U.F.F. (something that undermines family fun) then this is the thread where we (loosely) follow the step-by-step Flylady housekeeping system (in our own, unique, relaxed style) with lots of chat, support and wine along the way.

This little-and-often system is designed so that you can follow a series of steps and routines each day (which gradually become second nature) in weekly designated zones of the house; defining and minimising housework - which in theory should leave you with more time to do other more interesting things instead! At the same time it is intended to reduce that panicky "rabbit in headlights" feeling when you are overwhelmed and everything needs doing all at once. No problem if you miss a day or two; just jump right back in and it will all come around next month again anyway!

We advise not signing up to receive the Flylady e-mails as you will be inundated! All the information you need will be linked here on a daily basis.

From the first of the month, we will be following Flylady's steps and routines using a three-pronged approach (dependent on the stage everyone is at):

- start or repeat baby steps

- repeat baby steps + do 15 mins a day decluttering in the current zone

- reinforce babysteps and do daily missions if you have finished decluttering.

[And if you are really enthusiastic and have finished decluttering - you can go on to detailed deep cleaning in each zone.]

More info here on getting started and Flying lessons. Here's the launch pad for more experienced fledglings. Don't be put off by the barf-tastic language of the site - the underlying system is sound (and you may discover a few of our subversions of the vocabularly along the way).

Many thanks to blue for leading the thread through November (and sc for such a good OP, which has been cut and pasted twice!) thanks and I'll post the first babysteps and mission tomorrow evening.

All welcome!!

swanthingafteranother Sat 29-Dec-12 22:04:28

Bitchy well done on your food shop with ds! I have yet to try that. Ds is fine in theory but has this terrible terrible habit of getting bored, legging it in the middle and running home - I don't realise he has gone, and it is seriously unnerving.. He is obsessed by the fish counter, but once I move onto the cat food say, or the tins he is off with the wind...

laurenamium Sat 29-Dec-12 22:10:05

I'm back but on my phone!

Come on in silvery!

swan that must be so unnerving with your DS just running home shock I'm not surprised you don't risk it!

Waves to deck, bitchy, toffee and anyone else I've missed>

Managed to finish my list and do Decembers invoices so feeling quite proud. My 2013 holiday is booked too so I have until October to get to grips with losing this last 2 stone!

Be back shortly with links!

laurenamium Sat 29-Dec-12 22:17:07

Tomorrows links!

Sunday is renew your spirit day

Baby step 29 seems to be remembering people's birthday? confused maybe I've read it wrong!

No missions tomorrow as it is the weekend! It's the last day in zone 5 the living room and the detailed cleaning list is here

Be back tomorrow!

GoingGoingGoth Sat 29-Dec-12 22:22:52

So much for a Family Fun Day here, was meant to take Dd to the Science Centre today, but she threw a strop! Dh volunteered to keep her at home, so I could have a day out by myself grin
Didn't get to Lakeland envy but did end up at IKEA grin so that was ANOTHER bookcase bought.
Dd had cheered up by the time I got home so we got it built, loaded up, and I did a quick vacuum round.
Apart from cooking dinner, that's about all I've done - checks naughty corner for any dregs of mulled wine.

I will do better next week.

SilveryMoon Sat 29-Dec-12 22:56:26

Thanks Lauren.
I don't have an errand day. Will start to think about it, sounds easy enough!
Going to take my 2ds's to the cinema tomorrow and dp is dying to get to Westfield.
I do my home blessing hour on Sunday, so that's my list
Cinema
Shopping
Home blessing
Long bath with book

laurenamium Sun 30-Dec-12 09:26:20

I don't have an errand day either silvery, I tend to just do things as I need to, but I work from home so I guess that's easier for me! The fat fairy has her errand day on a Thursday and being reminded of it does tend to remind me to make appointments etc that I had put off through the week!

DD slept through again grin I'm like a new woman!

Quick list dump

Kitchen floor
Walk dogs
Wash bath mat and towel
Visit family
Clean oven and hob
Newsletters and planning for January tonight
Write next years holidays in a letter for parents. Disneyland is booked grin

Also very tempted to take the tree down!

BBL!

laurenamium Sun 30-Dec-12 09:27:35

<waves to goinggoing!>

I love ikea envy

WhoKnowsWhereTheMistletoes Sun 30-Dec-12 09:50:36

We need to make a trip to Ikea soon, DS loves the creche but he will be too old at 9 in Feb. Don't actually need to buy anything but I expect we will.

dizzyday07 Sun 30-Dec-12 10:08:21

{slinks into the naughty corner and places heaps of chocolate on the side}

Hi everyone. Sorry I went AWOL. The run up to Christmas really got to me so energy levels plummeted and I just about was keeping it together blush

We were away for the big day itself (and drove for hours and hours to visit relatives) and are back home for a couple of days before we are away again for Hogmanay.

The house needs a good Blergh, so that is my mission today as I want to get it in at least a semi decent state before the start of 2013.

Hope you all had a good Xmas and I will catch up with the thread later x

ToffeeWhirl Sun 30-Dec-12 10:14:35

Hurrah for sleep, lauren grin.

No major Flying plans today as best friend is here.

To do :

Walk dog
Chat
Drink tea
Lunch
Chat
Dinner
Drink wine
Chat

smile

SilveryMoon Sun 30-Dec-12 10:26:26

That's a good list toffee!
I've never been to Ikea.
We're now at cinema waiting for Madagascar to start.
My serious to do
Home blessing hour
Print off my old control journal sheets
Food shop the bits I forgot yesterday
Ironing
Half an hour study
Re-acquaint myself with flylady website
Get ready to jump on the fly wagon tomorrow
Drink

And just to check, I never quite understood this, am I supposed to do the daily mission AND 15 min detail?

Cuddledup Sun 30-Dec-12 11:05:57

Morning all....

To do list:

Ironing mountain
Take DD to park and reacquaint her with fresh air grin
Clean bathrooms with lovely new Lakeland mop (I love Lakeland)
Draw up plans for my dad's funeral. sad (Did anyone know you can now get coffins made of wool? grin Sorry if this offends anyone but it made me chuckle)
Go to neighbour's drinks party
Food shop - the fridge is bare at last!

Deckthecastle Sun 30-Dec-12 12:34:19

Welcome Silvery - I am really impressed at your flying skills. You are doing so much automatically already!

Lauren - Disneyland sounds fab! smile

Swan - it has been a very mild Christmas, plenty of rain, but that's a given!

I know it is Renew your Spirit day but my spirit could do with a tidy house (which will make tomorrow's home blessing easier!) so my list:

* Tidy house generally
* Unpack bags from being away over Christmas
* Paper decluttering in the kitchen
* Laundry (disaster zone)
* Visit DMiL
* Put together paperwork for an exemption I need to get so I can finally graduate from my distance learning course (have been procrastinating here for 18 months...)
*Some phone calls
*Dust off control journal - never finished making it....have a look at what sections need to be done. Floundered on the Perpetual Pantry List and Shopping List the last time. Did anyone else make those lists and find them useful???

Waves to Goinggoing, WhoKnows, Dizzy, Toffee and anyone I've missed! (on phone)

Ps - Toffee I love your list!

Deckthecastle Sun 30-Dec-12 12:36:28

And waves to Cuddledup - am sorry about your father. Hugs x

Deckthecastle Sun 30-Dec-12 12:38:15

Adding grocery shop and cleaning out fridge to my list. blush

SilveryMoon Sun 30-Dec-12 14:23:32

Cuddle, I know I'm new to the thread but wanted to say I'm sorry about your dad.
Deck, I've always kind of stuck to the basic routines, I still lay clothes out and swish and swipe etc, I just need to jump in so I don't do the same thing twice a week and neglect something else for a year iyswim.

Silvery - if you are still decluttering it is just 15mins decluttering. A lot of us haven't got around to the deep cleaning. So not sure what the consensus is. I guess if you are on top of clutter and the missions then deep cleaning is done in parallel to the missions?

Am being busy. bbl.

SilveryMoon Sun 30-Dec-12 16:30:34

Hmmm. I don't really need to declutter officially. It's just the ds's bedroom really, everything/everywhere else is ok.
I took Flylady's detailed cleaning list and added/remmoved some things to fit my place so i tend to ignore missions and just spend 15mins a day doing things on my own list. This should be ok though as my lists include everything that could possibly be done and is laid out tic-sheet style, so the following month I'll work on the same sheet but start on the things that haven't been ticked if that makes sense.

madwomanintheattic Sun 30-Dec-12 16:43:19

<creeps into naughty corner and furtively swigs leftover orange truffle baileys - apparently it was on special in duty free....>

<tries to work out who's here and what's going on>

<fails>

Hello! Merry Christmas, happy new year, and all that! (Haven't filled out my 2013 planner yet and feel completely discombobulated)

Visitors here, so not much computer time (or flying time, but trying to work out priorities blush) but tonight I am not feeding them, they are going out, so I have an evening in to try and play catch up.

Tis laundry and vacuuming, for sure. But right now I have to complete an insurance renewal, wake up dd2 and ds1, do breakfast, get to the post office to post said insurance form, then pick up visitors and try to find dh and dd1 on the ski hill... It's the busiest day of the year, and I have had numerous texts from dh detailing the misery of the queues just to get in the car park. grin. Fortunately, I will have dd2 and her magic badge, so I am hoping for a space by the gondola. grin

The sun is shining though, and the sky is blue. And it's family fun day, or whatever that damn fairy calls it. Renew your spirit? So I am orf for renewal.

<waves to everyone. And will try to work out who 'everyone' is later...>

SilveryMoon Sun 30-Dec-12 17:47:17

Gggrrrrrr
So I just went to print off all my routine sheets to create fresh journal, and I've deleted them off my laptop!!!!
Tis ok, I have an old papercopy that has been scribbled all over, so that'll have to do until I can type it all out again.

Tbh i have kinda given up madwoman.

Right ta da
empty and reload dishwasher - currently running
fold massive pile of clean clothes
ironging
2 loads washing on
Empty out dead stuff from fridge
gather recycling for going out
watch Ice age 4 with ds
Continue burning advent candle that is now finally down to the 14th and is sort of burning correctly.
take decorations off tree and put away in their boxes
Cook tea
rescue burnt pot
Spend time with ds playing board games
make jelly
spend time chatting to some friends
Rebuild bookshelf and return contents
remove tv and dvd player from temporary home in ds' room and return to their normal home.

more stuff to do but hey ho that is normal life for you. I am beginning to feel like i might be ready to face the new year running...

GoingGoingGoth Sun 30-Dec-12 19:45:26

Bit of a weird day today, Dd was being a right ungrateful stroppy little madam this morning, (it happens fairly regularly) and I slightly lost it...so... All the Christmas decorations are now down and packed away!

She spent the afternoon in her room, and I've cleaned like a maniac, so despite feeling like a monster, the lounge looks great.

She apologised before dinner and we've had a cuddle since then. She's now happily reading, but I still feel bad. She's 8, has anyone else experienced 'attitude'? She can be so negative and nags. Sometimes it feels like nothing I do is right.

She's not like it all the time, sometimes she's lovely.

Ahhhhh 8 yo trauma. Yep definitely got that here from ds!!! And spending time in her room will do her no harm. promise.

GoingGoingGoth Sun 30-Dec-12 21:00:27

Thanks, I keep trying 'this too will pass' but it's like having a teenager! We never know whether we're going to get Jekyll or Hyde.

Sometimes i find the simple fact is that when ds is like this he actually just wants to spend some time on his own. no expectations. Am trying to train him to express this without the moods, attitude, behaviour but he doesn't do emotions and it can be hard going. Sometimes i think i just need a bit of space and he picks up on this.

Today ds has mostly watched tv or played on his computer games. We did watch a film as much as i could face sitting still but i struggled and feel the need from doing stuff. I find it very difficult to concentrate on just one thing atm and ds is suffering attention wise because of it. Have agreed that despite the last item (tv etc) on my ta da list that it will stay in ds' room until his friend has been mid next week. This is such that i can work at getting stuff done tonight (really am a night owl) and have a lie in tomo. On the previso that tomo we get eggs do some baking and then chill out in a tidy lounge. which really isn't tidy atm. The plan is to then get my door frame painted and door done on the 1st. and this give it almost week before rehanging the door so that the paint can set a little bit.

also ta da
more washing
more folding
more ironing
put my clothes away
unload dishwasher
reload dishwasher
cook food for freezer in prep for crazy busy nxt month
wash up stuff that doesn't go in dishwasher - 1 load done but more to do
make a jule log - ds requested it for new years eve.
take out recycling
Layout plastic and move door ready for painting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now