Cat fleas

(17 Posts)
toomuchicecream Tue 27-Nov-12 21:51:01

Never had them till moving to this house so suspect they may have been left by previous owners' cats. Have used Frontline on the cat - what do I do (if anything) with the carpets, sofa etc??

Nigglenaggle Tue 27-Nov-12 22:15:29

Indorex spray, it's over the counter from your vet. Be careful if you have fish or cage birds!

Nanny0gg Tue 27-Nov-12 23:15:42

And hoover. hoover and hoover again.
Especially around the edges of carpets and under radiatiors.

FriedSprout Tue 27-Nov-12 23:17:51

Can second Indorex. Bought via Amazon I think. Only thing that worked first time.

bitsnbobs Wed 28-Nov-12 16:51:58

If they won't go away get a flea bomb I saw them for sale in pets at home.

toomuchicecream Wed 28-Nov-12 20:31:12

Thank you all - off shopping...

specialsubject Thu 29-Nov-12 12:29:11

vet stuff only (pricey as it is) - the over the counter stuff doesn't work. Each room needs to be sprayed and then vacated for a couple of hours by all life forms including the cat.

best of British.. .:-)

If you have young children I'd suggest hoovering and washing everything above 60 degrees.

The spray stuff works and keeps on working. I used it once along the edges of a carpet and spiders and woodlice were still dropping dead 6 months later. It's powerful stuff. I haven't used it since.

Teatree oil can work as a preventative too - rub it into your hands and then stroke your cat as normal.

Nigglenaggle Thu 29-Nov-12 19:33:21

Go for the hoovering in addition to other things but dont forget it will only suck them up and not kill them - the bag or bagless contents then need to go in a plastic bag and in the outside bin. Otherwise they will hop back out....

Nigglenaggle Thu 29-Nov-12 19:34:34

Also second the washing at 60c, but tea tree oil will do nowt - if the fleas don't come while they've got it on then they weren't coming anyway.

lagoonhaze Thu 29-Nov-12 19:37:34

Indorex (online I got two cans for same price as one from vets) and stronghold. Frontline not working these days

Nanny0gg Fri 30-Nov-12 12:26:13

True - all other bug life will die too. Good job it's winter.

ISeeThreadPeople Fri 30-Nov-12 12:30:00

Frontline definitely isn't working anymore and there have been terrible flea problems in the last couple of years as they're just immune.

toomuchicecream Fri 30-Nov-12 21:52:57

What are you using on your cat other than Frontline then? When the cat had his annual injections at Easter the vet gave him something to last 6 months, so that's now run out I used the Frontline the vet had recommended in the past, but if there's something better out there now...

ISeeThreadPeople Fri 30-Nov-12 21:57:39

Same as lagoonhaze said, we use stronghold.

Whojamaflip Fri 30-Nov-12 21:58:27

Stick a flea collar in the hoover too - it will kill any of the little blighters you do suck up and stop them hopping back out again grin

lagoonhaze Sun 02-Dec-12 22:32:41

Basically they have become immune to frontline. Vet admitted not working and I was cross as we got a pack from vets only recently prior to them telling us. Changed to stronghold and then did a full indorax of house just over a year ago. Not seen a single flea since (touch wood)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now