Tefal Actifry - any good?

(20 Posts)
Witco Mon 10-Dec-12 22:20:15

Ordered from Amazon and delivered in a few days

chocolatespiders Mon 10-Dec-12 11:52:43

Where did you order it from, I am tempted and they seem to be cheaper now.

Witco Sun 09-Dec-12 19:24:36

Sweet potato chips were a bit limp. What did I do wrong? Have used it for lots of things do far and it's a great gadget. No nasty smells either and the 'pan' goes in the dishwasher

Witco Tue 04-Dec-12 22:03:34

It has arrived and I have just done chips - yum and although it took 40 mins, they were v good. Hadn't thought about sausages or spag bol so will try those at the weekend. Has anyone used it for stir fries

LilllyLovesLife Tue 04-Dec-12 09:46:04

Sausages are amazing done in the actifry - perfectly cooked all the way round as constantly turned. And you can just put it on for 20 mins and forget about them!

It did take a while to get chips right - Found the best potatoes to use were big jacket potatoes, and make sure they are quite fresh. But others have said they prefer Maris Piper or Desire Potatoes. I do them in little cubes rather than chip shapes as I find they come out better. I love that you can add seasonings and they come out perfectly too as it's stirred the whole time.

I also have done spag bol in it and it's great as again, it's constantly being stirred. So I can shove the mince in, and turn in on while I chop the onions, then put them in while I prepare the next bit and so on - so it gets the prep done quicker and easier and less stress.

I love my actifry!

AlmostAChristmasHipster Mon 03-Dec-12 22:39:58

Oh yes - I forgot the onions I use frozen chopped ones

No, it's fine as long as you don't overfill it. I did once. Once. smile

Mandy2003 Sat 01-Dec-12 21:52:41

Wot no onions?! Doesn't it gloop and bubble and splatter up on to the lid/heating element?

AlmostAChristmasHipster Fri 30-Nov-12 21:07:32

It's really easy - put about 500g of mince in and cook for 10 mins. Drain off the excess fat and then add tinned tomatoes, garlic, tomato purée, herbs, stock melt and a splash of water and cook for another 10-15 mins.

The paddle motion ensures it's all mixed in well and the sauce is beautifully reduced.

cheekybaubles Fri 30-Nov-12 09:47:18

You really have to tell me how you make sauce in one?
Smell is minimal due to filter or something.

AlmostAChristmasHipster Thu 29-Nov-12 14:08:41

I use mine every day - it makes a fab bolognaise sauce!

Mandy2003 Thu 29-Nov-12 14:05:45

No they don't leave any smell at all! That's the reason I bought one as opposed to an ordinary electric deep fryer.

Do they leave that awful fried food smell in your house? I have a real aversion to deep fat fryers for that very reason even if I could eat chips til I blow up like a balloon

cheekybaubles Thu 29-Nov-12 05:19:05

Actually the rotary arm is removable. It didn't occur to me to try that. Will report back

Witco Wed 28-Nov-12 15:18:49

Too late, I've ordered it now! Will post when I have tried it grin

Isitme1 Tue 27-Nov-12 22:59:26

I hated it
Dm used it once and the chips came out disgusting x

Yes, makes lovely chips, potato wedges and cubes.
I admit I haven't tried any of the other recipes in the book it came with.
I have a thing for chips

Mandy2003 Tue 27-Nov-12 22:52:30

I have the Halo grill (owing to an ugly scene in Currys where they wouldn't sell me the Actifry at the advertised price angry)

I actually prefer it now because the rotary arm is removable and it also has a wire rack so you can cook breaded foods on there, or on the base of the bowl.

Also makes fab cheese toasties, put on rack in lower position.

Witco Tue 27-Nov-12 17:29:13

Dishwasher friendly? Even better!

cheekybaubles Tue 27-Nov-12 12:55:11

Excellent for chips/wedges and far healthier. Makes lovely home-made chips but also makes oven chips much crispier.
Because of rotary arm softer foods like breaded prawns tend to get broken up.
All parts are dishwasher friendly.
Have been using well over a year but probably only about once a fortnight.

Witco Tue 27-Nov-12 12:32:19

I'm considering getting one of these but are they any good?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now