My house stinks

(18 Posts)

I cooked some sausages the other day and the fat went everywhere. Oven has now been cleaned but the kitchen still stinks.
I have all the wondows open, but is there anything else I can do to get rid of the smell? Is there anytiong I can put in the oven that will make it and the kitchen smell nice?

Someone must have a stinky house solution! I am sitting here in an ice box with wide open windows and one scented candle between me and the sausage stink

TheOriginalSteamingNit Thu 15-Nov-12 08:56:40

Have you mopped the floor? Clean everything you can think of and keep the windows open! What candle is it: the Price's ones are good. Are there curtains in the kitchen? Wash teatowels, too.

Good point about floor, that could do with a clean. No curtains, but blinds we can't really clean till summer. Will also double check the cupboards round the oven

Am also baking a cake later ,hopefully that will help.

Sausage cake...Mmm... Nice grin

TheOriginalSteamingNit Thu 15-Nov-12 09:14:42

Sausages are buggers!

I would wash anything that you can - eg., I have a peg on the kitchen door with apron, a bag etc on it, and they would be smelly too. Any tea towels you were using, and cloths, too. Even if they're not the sausagey things, them being clean will help.

Pascha Thu 15-Nov-12 09:32:09

I had this from chicken curry on monday. I washed everything, including the extractor filter and the curtains in the living room. In the end nothing worked except leaving every window and door in the back half of the house open wide for the whole afternoon and freezing. Its much better this morning.

Thanks. I will chuck tea towel and cloth in wash, nothing else clothey really. Extractor fan may need a clean too - oh such fun grin

duchesse Thu 15-Nov-12 09:55:12

Have you cleaned the tiles and kitchen cabinets? The greasy smoke will deposit everywhere, including the ceiling! Use a degreasing cleaning product (maybe one of those containing orange oil) and a drop of lavender oil on the cloth and you should shift it. Good luck!

Pascha Thu 15-Nov-12 10:14:06

I cleaned the top of the glass on the extractor and I was blush at the disgusting sticky fluffy foody state of it. I looked in the manufacturer's book to check about what I could clean it all with and it says to wash the filters and underside once a week to keep it at bay. Ooops...

PigletJohn Thu 15-Nov-12 12:32:50

I'm sure it will be the vapourised fat mist.

For the tops of cabinets, where it accumulates, you can lay thick paper or spare wallpaper and chuck it out when dirty.

Kitchen walls also get very dirty around the cooker, sugar soap will get it off. It hardens like varnish over time. A powerful extrractor will help whisk it away before it settles, and the filter is usually washable or replacable. You might consider keeping a spare filter so you can have one in use and one in teh wash. You will be revolted at the colour of the water when you wash it.

I have cleaned the extractor filter fairly recently.
Will clean tiles and cupboards, bleurgh grin

That said I had all the windows open this morning and have now baked a cake and it does smell much better

Pascha Thu 15-Nov-12 14:15:06

Mmmm cake...

Doyouthinktheysaurus Thu 15-Nov-12 14:17:53

I came on to suggest baking something!

I've baked raspberry and white chocolate and chocolate chip muffins, my house smells gorgeous but my diet is a disaster grin

mmm they sound nicer than my banana loaf smile

HecatePropylaea Thu 15-Nov-12 14:30:07

Clean everything. Keep windows open. Make a white vinegar & water spray and spritz round the house. have little pots of white vinegar around. bicarb is also a great odour neutraliser. Sprinkle it on your carpets, leave for a while then hoover up. Essential oils on little cloths tucked onto your radiators.

WholeLottaRosie Thu 15-Nov-12 21:09:11

Sugar soap wipes are great for cleaning grease off kitchen units, extractor etc.
For cooking smells I usually put a teeny drop of Zoflora in a small bowl/ ramekin with some hot water.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now