So I have some bleach, and a nightie...

(10 Posts)

Wash it with a capful of vinegar and that should keep mildew at bay and won't smell like a chippy.

Napisan is also good as its a bleach

Goldmandra Sat 17-Nov-12 21:42:06

Doh! Just realised you've done it! Blame the children for distracting me with trivialities!

Goldmandra Sat 17-Nov-12 21:41:07

I've only ever succeeded in getting mildew out by soaking things in Napisan for several days. I don't know whether it is the same chemical as bleach. I'd be worried about leaving something in bleach for a few days.

LynetteScavo Sat 17-Nov-12 17:28:17

Good Lord, how do you get mildew on your nightie?

I'm sure there is a course joke in there somewhere.

Showtime Fri 16-Nov-12 23:40:58

Really pleased for you, Leucan - was about to suggest Astonish spray for mould and mildew which works quicker than bleach, but glad it's now fixed.

Hoorah! Thank you, Fluffy, I am now a Good Housekeeper. It looks like bloody new, I'm so impressed. grin

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 14-Nov-12 15:38:30

I cant think why it wouldnt work. It's just like bleaching anything else to get mildew out.

Then it needs a good hot wash in bio powder to get the stains out.

I've used bleach in an old spray before now to treat stains, I found that if they were going to lift then they would start to fade in seconds.

Well, yes, that probably is what I'd do if I weren't going to try this instead.

My current weekly budget for food and utilities is about £30, which coincidentally is about what my lovely floor-length, thick cotton, winter nightie cost.

So has anyone tried this and it worked?

starfishmummy Wed 14-Nov-12 10:55:50

Buy a new nightie. It will be easier.

... do I really just slosh some in a bucket with water and soak to get mildew out of it? I've googled myself silly and it appears to be rocket science, so can I just use household cleaning bleach?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now