My house stinks of vomit - how do you clean it up?

(5 Posts)
Loueytb3 Tue 13-Nov-12 09:20:10

Vomiting bug went through our house on Saturday night like wildfire. DS1 threw up 6x in 2 hours, most of those all over the living carpet/rug. I cleaned it up as best I could and sprayed it with rug doctor odor-eater (all I could find) but it still reeks.

I have realised that I really don't know the best way to clean up vomit – one of those things that I've never been told. So what do you do? And how do I get rid of the smell??

Rosa Tue 13-Nov-12 09:27:49

Bicarbonate of soda- Make like a paste with water and smear over the area - leave to dry and then hoover it . repeat ... works for me!

Loueytb3 Tue 13-Nov-12 10:58:58

Is it safe if you have toddlers/crawlers about? DS3 would try and eat it.

ouryve Tue 13-Nov-12 11:03:45

Bicarb neutralises the butyric acid that's responsible for the smell. You don't need a lot and since it's found in the cooking aisle of the supermarket, it's going to be no more dangerous for a toddler than puke soaked carpets. If I need to deodorise the carpet, I sprinkle it all over through a strainer at night, stamp it in well, then vacuum in the morning.

AdoraJingleBells Tue 13-Nov-12 11:34:01

I second the bicard, and it's not going to harm the toddler. It's put in baked goods, used to help with cystitis, teaspoon in a cup of water and drink it, etc. if you're still worried then do 1 room at a time and keep toddler out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now