How to clean aluminium blinds?

(9 Posts)
oldraver Fri 16-Nov-12 12:08:37

I bought a blind cleaner (one that fits between the slats) and a bottle of spray, but the smell of it made me heave (more about me not liking chemical smells) I had forgotten about the bath trick so will have to try that

germyrabbit Thu 15-Nov-12 20:57:41

i take them off and shower off the dust

waitingforgodot Thu 15-Nov-12 20:56:15

thanks!

GrumpyOldWomanToo Thu 15-Nov-12 19:04:56

The blinds are removable, they fit into a sort of hinged square pocket at either end. There is a video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BTAUucLW00 on how to install them, it shows clearly the bracket with the square pocket.

In the bath... I just used dishwashing liquid, soaked them for a while, and then took them outside and rinsed with a hose.

Fadingfast Tue 13-Nov-12 20:59:11

Grumpy, what did you soak them in? I am wondering whether biological washing liquid would do the job. Did you have to do any scrubbing at all?

waitingforgodot Tue 13-Nov-12 20:58:23

what did you soak them in? How do you take down aluminium blinds. Is it quite easy?

GrumpyOldWomanToo Tue 13-Nov-12 18:38:56

I soaked mine in the bathtub, then hung them up outside and rinsed them with the hose. You might want to put something (towel? non-slip mat?) on the bottom of the bath so the blinds don't scratch.

waitingforgodot Tue 13-Nov-12 08:04:06

no idea but watching with interest!

Fadingfast Mon 12-Nov-12 20:39:52

We have white aluminium blinds in our bathroom which were caked in dust until I spent the best part of the afternoon cleaning them. The dust was almost stuck on, presumably because of the condensation, so I had to use an abrasive sponge to clean every single slat. It took bloody ages and my arm almost fell off. Has anyone devised an easy way to clean these sort of blinds? Is there some sort of magic tool I can use?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now