blackout linings for ikea curtains?

(4 Posts)
KMR281 Mon 12-Nov-12 15:22:11

hi, did the pre-baby ikea shop the other week, now have painted room and want to get the curtains up. Got some nice ones (mainly white with some bright characters on), that appear to be tie-top, rather than using rings or eyelets/hooks. Fine (I'm certainly not schlepping back to return them) but how on earth can I fit blackout linings? I don't have a sewing machine, so can't do anything too complex. Could I buy linings and hang them separately from the curtains on the same pole?? what is my best option? and any tips on where to buy blinking linings from? Baby brain really setting in! Curtains are 120x 175, and can't shorten as pattern all at base of curtain.
TIA.

CarpeJugulum Mon 12-Nov-12 15:23:57

My local alterations shop do curtain linings - that an option?

aliasd Wed 14-Nov-12 22:01:43

I think I have the same ikea curtains and have successfully added black out material to them with limited sewing skills and no machine just lots of patience and White thread!! so hope this helps.... I bought some black out material from eBay think was about £10 and stitched it along the inside seam of the 2 sides/edges of the curtain and along the seam that joins the tap top to the curtain at the too So the black out lining is stitched to the curtain on 3 sides with the black out material cut slightly smaller than the curtain and using the existing stitching on the curtain as a guide. Hope this makes sense!

Willowisp Sun 25-Nov-12 20:14:02

I would, in fact I do have, a blackout roller blind behind all my curtains. The trouble with curtain linings is the gap around the edges which let light in....

Alternatively, buy blackout fabric, stitch Velcro on to the tops & stick the other piece of Velcro onto the window frame.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now