Bamboo floor nightmare!

(10 Posts)

Oh I couldn't read and run on this one! FOUR long years I've had a bamboo floor in the living room. God I hate it. We have the oiled wax version - what a nightmare. It scratches terribly, and dents if you drop anything on it and God forbid your badly trained dog should leave a little present on it. Damn floor is covered in stains. And it's really difficult to keep clean. Can't use anything stringent on it as it takes all the wax off. Don't buy it unless it's at least varnished or you're seriously unhinged like I was at that stage of the renovation.

Cost a bloody fortune too. There's no way I can afford to have it ripped out and replaced with something sensible. Like shag pile or laminate or vinyl or anything really, anything other than sodding bamboo.

Floralnomad Wed 14-Nov-12 18:43:51

My mum has bamboo throughout ( fitted by my DH) and has no problems with it and she has dogs and a cat . Perhaps you got a faulty batch .

Selks Wed 14-Nov-12 18:39:42

sad what a pain. But thanks for sharing your experience.

CharlotteWasBoth Tue 13-Nov-12 18:05:39

Oops. Builder came to look at it today, said he'd never seen anything like it. Suggested contacting the supplier but no doubt they'll blame the fitting... Ugh.

CharlotteWasBoth Tue 13-Nov-12 18:03:59

Yes, we had underlay. It is strand woven, from the Bamboo Flooring Company. Builder l

Woodlands Tue 13-Nov-12 11:59:28

We also have it in the living room and I love ti but I agree, it does scratch.

Bramshott Tue 13-Nov-12 09:47:48

We have bamboo in the living room and have found it scratches VERY easily - I wouldn't have it again.

CleopatrasAsp Tue 13-Nov-12 09:34:10

Did you get the stranded woven bamboo? I have had mine installed (it is dark as well) for nearly six months and I find it great, it certainly hasn't warped so far. Where did you get yours from?

Selks Mon 12-Nov-12 13:12:48

That's really interesting to hear, Charlotte. I had thought about bamboo for the bathroom but it doesn't sound good based on your experiences. Did it have an underlay under it?

CharlotteWasBoth Sun 11-Nov-12 23:02:49

Having keenly followed all the kitchen threads we decided to go for bamboo floor. It's a disaster! Lots of it is warped so the floor is distinctly bumpy. (Think this might be the builders installing it wrongly.) Also, it's sooo susceptible to scratching -- so much so that after one single day we are talking about buying wood floor restorer. (We went for a dark colour so maybe it wouldn't show so much with a lighter colour.)

Anyway, just to warn any fellow searchers that it's not necessarily as perfect as other threads might suggest...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now