Tell me about your vacuum - I'm in need of a new one!

(39 Posts)
sparkle9 Sun 11-Nov-12 09:35:57

I'm due to move from a flat to a three storey house. My Dyson is about ten years old and is heavy! And a bit snapped off so there are a few good reasons to get a new one. I have no idea where to begin and I'm hoping some of you will have recommendations.

The new house will have karndean flooring downstairs and carpets upstairs and on the stairs. So one that is good on both would be great. I would like a vacuum that is not too heavy so that it's easy to take up and down the stairs. I have long hair and it gets everywhere! Would a 'pet' vacuum be best?

Another thing to think about: The "cat and dog" style rotary brushes should not be used on berber (looped) style carpets as they can damage them (apparently!)
Chien. I've had a Miele Cat and Dog for years and never knowingly changed an exhaust filter! Ive only changed the kind of filters that come with the vacuum bags. Is it about to explode on me?

Mine started squealing and the top lifted slightly!
I had a look and the filter was totally rammed. Was just about to tackle my DDs room with it too. <suspicious>

I think you'll get fair warning when you need a new one, educating grin

Mynewmoniker Tue 13-Nov-12 21:28:34

Has anyone else had a smelly Henry? hmm

Both mine have begun to pong when I switch them on. I've tried putting air freshners in them and swilling them out but still the stink comes!

Do you reckon it's my carpets?

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 13-Nov-12 21:38:40

We had one at work years ago that smelt horrible. Bit like sherry that was rancid.

I wouldnt think it's the carpets.

amistillsexy Tue 13-Nov-12 22:07:59

Do you always unwind the electrical cord completely before you use it? The smell could be coming from the cord overheating if you leave it wound inside the machine.

Otherwise, are you sure you're changing the bags regularly enough? IME, the bag often starts to smell if it has been in use for a while, regardless of whether it is full or not, so if you don't vacuum very often, your bag will sit half-full of gunk for a few weeks or months, and it will smell Mum, I'm looking at YOU!

CharlotteWasBoth Tue 13-Nov-12 23:32:02

Another Henry fan here. Had ours for about 15 years and still going strong. So much lighter than an upright because you only push the tube rather than the whole thing.

Clarabumps Tue 13-Nov-12 23:47:52

I have a Hetty which is a great vacuum but a pita to use. She always bashes into skirting boards or topples over.angry boot! I have an oreck which is extremely light and I love love love it! The only thing is it doesn't have a tube funnel attachment thing so I can't get right into corners but it kind of fluffs up your carpets so that's a great plus. grin

pictish Wed 14-Nov-12 09:14:07

I think it depends on your budget tbh. If, like me, you're skint-arse, then Henry is the vac to buy. A Henry is without doubt the bext vac in the lower price range.
If you have 2/3/4 hundred to spare, then you'd probably choose one that is lighter and doesn't get stuck on corners.

I think it's worth saying that even if I did have a bigger budget I would still stick with Henry, because he does the job beautifully and I'd rather spend the cash on something else.

Mynewmoniker Wed 14-Nov-12 17:18:27

amistillsexy never heard of the totaly unwound cord theory but I'm willing to try anything hmm

I have just replaced my Henry with a Miele. The Miele is much lighter, easier to store and does a much better job than Henry did. I had always like Henry but the Miele is far and away the better of the two. The Miele was about £128 - not very much more than a Henry.

Jdub Thu 15-Nov-12 10:55:25

I HATE my Henry with a passion - it's big, bulky and when it's not bumping into things when I pull it, it helpfully falls over! It's a bloody nuisance!

amistillsexy Sun 18-Nov-12 22:27:15

Mynewmoniker electrical cables should be fully unwound before use, as using them wound can cause them to overheat and start a fire. The first you will know about this is the smell of the cable overheating.

My DH recently told me about a heater being used in an office near his, which was attached to a wound up extension lead. It was overheating, and this was discovered by someone looking for the source of the bad smell. The cable had melted and was hot to the touch.

Allofaflumble Mon 19-Nov-12 09:13:51

As a cleaner I would always recommend the Miele particularly if you get the beating attatchment - wonderful. I do like Henrys too but they are not as good as the Miele and are akward on stairs.

I loathe Dysons. The most cumbersome beasts on the planet. I think James Dyson is having a laugh on us all. :0)

comelywenchlywoo Tue 20-Nov-12 09:33:09

Miele. Indestructible and generally great in every way!

TheSitChew You can get bags from Amazon (proper Miele ones) for the same price as generic ones in my local DIY store. I think there were filters in the bag too?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now