Tell me about your vacuum - I'm in need of a new one!

(39 Posts)
sparkle9 Sun 11-Nov-12 09:35:57

I'm due to move from a flat to a three storey house. My Dyson is about ten years old and is heavy! And a bit snapped off so there are a few good reasons to get a new one. I have no idea where to begin and I'm hoping some of you will have recommendations.

The new house will have karndean flooring downstairs and carpets upstairs and on the stairs. So one that is good on both would be great. I would like a vacuum that is not too heavy so that it's easy to take up and down the stairs. I have long hair and it gets everywhere! Would a 'pet' vacuum be best?

ImperialStateKnickers Sun 11-Nov-12 09:42:01

I love Henry. Nice long lead, built like a brick shithouse, low maintenance. The one called James has a handy tool holder in the lid.

Mynewmoniker Sun 11-Nov-12 09:45:29

Henry here too. Wouldn't want another after trying Dyson (rubbish) I bought an extra revolving brush attachment on Amazon and it's brilliant for pet hair.

nocake Sun 11-Nov-12 09:46:26

There are two choices. A Miele or a Henry. I've had both and can recommend both.

sparkle9 Sun 11-Nov-12 09:48:28

I last used a Henry when I worked in a shop. I remember him being quite bulky and heavy. Have they improved the design? He is cute though! What's the difference between Henry and Henrietta?

And how does a Miele compare?

SandStorm Sun 11-Nov-12 09:48:58

I have an upright SEBO which is virtually indestructible and has been going for at least 12 years. It is heavy though so might not suit even though it does a fab job.

ImperialStateKnickers Sun 11-Nov-12 09:52:51

I've got a Miele for the other half of the house, it and Henry are about the same level of weight and efficiency but Henry cost considerably less.

Mynewmoniker I've got an Aerobrush for Henry, but I find it bungs up with hair, so usually use the original one. Is my hair somehow more sticky than yours grin?

nocake Sun 11-Nov-12 09:54:10

A Hetty is a pink Henry... That's the only difference. There are other versions with extra features (tool storage, powered brushes etc) and they all have different names. Look on the Numatic website to see them all.

amistillsexy Sun 11-Nov-12 09:54:37

Henry fan here too. My house has four storeys, and is the best thing for stairs. I did buy a little vax thing for the upper floors, but it sits in a cupboard in a bedroom while henry makes the trip up from the lowest floor.

That's how good he is!!!

I recently treated him to a new hose and super-dooper ' Turbo charged' sweepy uppy bit (that's not its registered trade mark name, by the way). Now, he's even better than before!

Get one. Today.

;-)

amistillsexy Sun 11-Nov-12 09:59:25

Imperial, mine gets wrapped up with hair too, but I like that. Shows it's working!
With the old one, long bundles of duty hair would be left behind by dh after the cleaning was finished!

sparkle9 Sun 11-Nov-12 09:59:38

Lots of love for Henry on here! :-) I will look online!

Thanks for the advice. Very much appreciated!

Mynewmoniker Sun 11-Nov-12 16:05:14

Yes my super duper turbo brush get's clogged but it's therapy cutting through it with small scissors and removing it. I don't mind as long as it's taken stuff off my floor. Wouldn't be without this attachment now.

addictedtolatte Sun 11-Nov-12 16:12:54

miele fan here

pictish Sun 11-Nov-12 16:15:48

Another Henry vote here too. We bought ours about three months ago and it's the best vac we've ever had.
Ok - he's not great at cornering, and he is known to have toppled over once or twice...BUT that little red bastard sucks like billy-o.
Nothing escapes his greedy nozzle.

Miele - brilliant, and they never break. I've had mine 10 years and it is as new.

Miele, they come with an offer for a 10year warranty for £30.

The last Henry I used was at work wasnt as good as my miele.

John Lewis was cheaper than Argos when I got mine.

SixtyFootDoll Sun 11-Nov-12 16:34:29

I hated my Henry, heavy and always bashing the woodwork. Have a Miele now, it's far better and lighter. The tube dismantles for easier storage too.

Miele Cat and Dog was great when I had long hair and it has kept going well for years and years! The bags can be expensive though, but they do last quite a long time.

gallicgirl Sun 11-Nov-12 16:54:04

Hate my Henry too. Heavy, cumbersome, gets trapped around corners and generally makes vacuuming a difficult chore. It's such hard work, I couldn't use it at all towards the end of my pregnancy.

Looking at getting an upright to replace it.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Sun 11-Nov-12 16:55:38

Another Henry hater too, if you found it big and bulky before chances are you'll feel that way again.

mummylin Sun 11-Nov-12 17:02:54

Another vote for henry here !

sparkle9 Sun 11-Nov-12 18:24:45

I went to a shop to lift them both today. Henry is super cute but my new house doesn't have much storage and the Miele ones are more compact so I think it will be a Miele that I get.

Any recommendations for particular models? Is it sensible to get the pet one seeing as my long hair gets in the carpet more than a dog's probably would! Is the pet one good on hard floors too?

I've got the cat and dog, the pet hair head has a rotational brush in it like an upright but it says to only use on carpet.

It comes with another head for hard floors that can also be used on carpets if you CBA to swap heads.

I had the cheapest cat and dog when JL had it on offer. www.johnlewis.com/231379743/Product.aspx It was £20 cheaper when I bought it.

Costco might have one if you are a member.

anniewoo Sun 11-Nov-12 18:31:58

Miele Cat and Dog. I would buy it again- the ultimate test.

I've got a Miele S something, which I love. But the bags are expensive! And I need to buy a new exhaust filter, which apparently needs to be changed after every 50 hours of use (£20!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now