If you can't reheat rice...

(89 Posts)
Meringue33 Thu 08-Nov-12 21:46:19

...Does that mean you can't reheat rice soup?

vintageviolets Tue 13-Nov-12 08:51:58

Couldn't be bothered to read it all.

lottiegarbanzo Tue 13-Nov-12 08:52:28

The washing out dirt discussion is addressing a separate issue but appears to have become confused with the food poisoning one recently.

lottiegarbanzo Tue 13-Nov-12 08:53:40

Helpful that I've summarised then smile

vintageviolets Tue 13-Nov-12 08:56:59

Very grin

You have saved me from dying of boredom, which is probably worse than death by food poisoning!

thanks

lottiegarbanzo Tue 13-Nov-12 09:11:05

It is starting to feel that way!

amazingmumof6 Tue 13-Nov-12 09:11:34

I've had left rice out all night before several times, by accident mind you, and also have used cooked rice after storing it in fridge for up to 3 days -this is definitely news to me!

never had any problems either, ever, but I'll try to follow your advice and thank you for explaining it!

btw I've always used cold running water to quickly cool rice not eaten immediately, as did my mum and grandma, but only out of habit and for practical reasons: to avoid the grains to stick, plus I don't want to put hot rice in the fridge or freezer!

I wonder why we've never got ill - is it rare to have a "bad batch"?
or could I have been ill from it as a kid, but then developed immunity (same as jabs) ?

Gentleness Tue 13-Nov-12 09:34:45

Food poisoning from rice is vile. I had it when traveling in India and ignorantly choosing fried rice dishes as a safe option. It was vile for over 2 weeks. And after recovering had bouts where it seemed to reoccur for nearly 2 years. Either the bacteria was lingering somehow or it had made me more vulnerable.

The only food experience worse than that was eating dodgy chicken, but while that was grim, once the illness was over, it was over. I'm not fussy about food, but I'd not risk anything with rice. If it's not gone in the fridge within 30mins of being cooked, it gets binned.

ethelb Tue 13-Nov-12 09:38:21

I hate these thread. People miss the point. It's not that you can't reheat rice it is that it doesn't matter if it is 'piping' hot when you eat it as the heat makes no difference.

It is v rare to have a bad batch in this country as our rice is stored properly.

The more important point is to not eat old rice. I don't leave cooked rice more than 2 days.

lottiegarbanzo Tue 13-Nov-12 09:45:14

Amazingmum you've never had a problem because you're doing the right thing.

It is very rare. There is no immunity.

To cool rice, I put it in a shallowish dish and place in a sink surrounded by cold water. Leave a couple of minutes then change the water for ice cold again. I repeat this several times then once the rice is cold, put in fridge. The cold running water method is a safe way too. I just do it the other way by preference!

lottiegarbanzo Tue 13-Nov-12 10:00:21

ElizaDay, that is interesting about washing to get dirt out. I only think about washing before cooking in terms of starch and stickiness. Now you mention the dirt it's no surprise. Boiling dirt gives you - clean dirt! (That's what I learnt in primary school after finding residual jelly on a water glass - clean dirt!)

it is interesting, for the strong stomached, what is really in food, especially the unwanted extras. (One day, if feeling mischievous, I'll start a thread about biscuit beetles).

AmberLeaf Tue 13-Nov-12 10:03:55

Yum biscuit beetles!

Extra protein I say grin

amazingmumof6 Tue 13-Nov-12 10:49:51

"clean dirt" and "biscuit bugs"

bwahahaha!

funny how I could be doing the right thing without knowing it just by copying older generations habits...
...my mum will be happy to hear she did after all did teach me something useful! (I always challange her, less her...)

ethelb several people have already pointed out what you said, but I guess some of us just jump in without reading through - inlcuding yourself?

anyway, no harm in repeating sound advice! smile

amazingmumof6 Tue 13-Nov-12 10:51:55

about my mum I meant to say BLESS HER! <not less her, damn you stupid keys sticking!>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now