If you can't reheat rice...

(89 Posts)
Meringue33 Thu 08-Nov-12 21:46:19

...Does that mean you can't reheat rice soup?

CountBapula Fri 09-Nov-12 06:56:37

What about risotto then? You wouldn't pour water over that. Does that mean you shouldn't reheat it? If not, how come you can get risotto as ready meals?

It's annoying because risotto is something DS will reliably eat so I'd like to keep some in the freezer for him but I don't because I'm worried about the reheating thing.

vodkaanddietirnbru Fri 09-Nov-12 08:05:54

I'd put it on a plate/in a dish and then cover and put in the fridge or put in a freezer bag/tub and put straight into the freezer. I havent noticed it making much difference to the internal temperature of the fridge/freezer so feel it is ok not to cool it completely before storing it.

Furball Fri 09-Nov-12 08:18:34

with all bought ready cooked rice, they steam it first so the bacteria is killed - saw it on
jimmys food factory

AmberLeaf Fri 09-Nov-12 09:58:06

Cold water rinsers rice must taste well shit sorry!

Narked Fri 09-Nov-12 11:21:37

grin You don't cook much then?

omletta Fri 09-Nov-12 17:56:40

How do you think restaurants do it?

Putting hot stuff in your fridge or freezer is unwise as it will affect the temperature, and isn't good for the appliance.

And the answer to ready meal risotto is a blast chiller.

Only pasteurisation kills this bacterium.

culturemulcher Fri 09-Nov-12 18:01:09

Lordy, I've been wantonly reheating, semi-reheating, and re-reheating rice for ever and ever, as have my parents. Not as much as a tummy ache.

confused

Meringue33 Fri 09-Nov-12 18:24:52

Dear-o! Thanks all! Think I will give it a miss this time as pregnant though we put it in the fridge quick! Thanks for all the prompt advice! :-)

AmberLeaf Fri 09-Nov-12 18:29:33

How do you think restaurants do it?

Indian, chinese and caribbean ones cook rice by the absorbtion method and you cant run cold water over rice cooked that way.

So for them, I have no idea.

omletta Fri 09-Nov-12 20:00:40

Sorry to be pedantic but I don't understand why you can't run cold water over absorption method cooked rice? Surely you cook and eat, but ant leftover could be cooled quickly to be reheated later? - or am I being dim?

omletta Fri 09-Nov-12 20:01:11

Not ant....any!

WrathdePan Fri 09-Nov-12 20:08:27

I cook by the absorption method. CAn't see the prob with running cold water over the left overs to quickly cool it and then re-heating it next day. Unless I am in the dim class with omletta.

Tuttutitlookslikerain Fri 09-Nov-12 20:09:09

I had food poisoning from reheated rice once(from a hotel function not my kitchen.)It was horrendous, the stomach pains were not unlike contractions. I never reheat rice, I don't even eat rice salads. One woman who was ill nearly died, it was that bad!

Mintyy Fri 09-Nov-12 20:11:19

Its astonishing that so many people don't know about food poisoning from rice. We all know to be careful with chicken, seafood, pork etc. But why not rice? There should be some kind of campaign.

SecretCervix Fri 09-Nov-12 20:55:47

What is the absorption method?

WrathdePan Fri 09-Nov-12 20:58:41

Cervix - double volume of water to rice - eg I cup of rice in two cups of water. Simmer v v slowly, covered ( though you can stir it in the first minutes) for about 15 mins til all the water has been absorbed. Brown rice is about 40 mins.

AmberLeaf Fri 09-Nov-12 22:19:45

I don't think anyone is being dim and I don't mean to imply that at all.

I think we all have different ways of cooking.

To basically 'wash' rice after it is cooked seems nuts to me~!

I often cook rice that has other things in it, like biriani or rice and peas, rinsing that in cold water just wouldn't work.

I think some of us really must be immune to the bacteria, because I must break every rice safety rule going and ive never been unwell because of it.

Absorbtion method, wash the rice well so that the water runs clear, you do that by putting it in the cooking pan and filling with cold water and draining several times till its clear, add salt and water to the level of your second finger knuckle if you place your fingertip on the top of the rice, bring to the boil, boil out till most of the water is gone [about 8 mins depending on volume] then turn down low and put the lid on. the last part is basically steaming.

Startail Fri 09-Nov-12 22:40:52

I love rice and have been reheating rice in all its manifestations for a huge no. of years. I shall continue to live dangerously I fear.

Tepid prawn soup on the other hand I shall not eat again.

(unfortunate holiday experience that I do not wish to repeat)

omletta Sat 10-Nov-12 06:51:58

I think you are right Amberleaf in that some people must be immune, otherwise more people would be ill because few people realise the importance of cooling quickly if you are gong to reheat.

The safetest way to eat any food is to cook and eat immediately.

Size6feet Sun 11-Nov-12 07:45:24

Thank you for that link furball . Very interesting. I rinse my uncooked rice well - in a seive under cold running water.

TheHairyDieter Sun 11-Nov-12 07:51:21

Oh gosh, I sent my DS to school this morning with a rice salad I had just made, that was still a bit warm. The temperature is in the 80s today. It will be hanging around in his lunchbox for 6 hours.

I am now really worried confused

digerd Sun 11-Nov-12 08:05:34

For years I had rice always with a curry, and ate it all up, so never saved any to reheat. Now I,m older and not so active, I use the 2 minute packet and eat only half. Then some days later, after it being in the fridge, I reheat it in the microwave again. No tummy problems.

EIizaDay Sun 11-Nov-12 14:40:39

I'm horrified by the fact that lots of people don't wash rice properly before they cook it. Rice is filthy. Lots of people standing on it, touching it, sneezing, coughing, spitting on it, throwing it about in to containers etc etc. I've seen all of this in India so know what happens.

Rice needs to be washed and rinsed and washed and rinsed many times before you can cook it.

AmberLeaf Sun 11-Nov-12 15:23:13

Im with you there Eliza!

I thought everyone washed rice before it's cooked?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now