Posh hotel quality duvet?

(125 Posts)
msrisotto Mon 05-Nov-12 21:09:30

I recently stayed in a very posh London hotel (courtesy of someone else!). I can't look at my duvet the same way since. It feels lumpy and patchy and deeply wanting in comparison. I didn't have the nerve to ask about the make and didn't have to nous to look at the time so am now left obsessing thinking about it somewhat.

I think it was down. I don't know [listless], can anyone recommend a nice plump soft duvet? I would push the boat out with regards to price as bed is my favouritest place in the world.

MortimersRaven Thu 08-Nov-12 01:45:21

msrisotto when you take the cover off, does your current duvet have lines of stitching so it sits in vertical channels... or is it stitched in a check pattern?

Also they only have a 10 year life so if yours is 8 years old maybe it's just worn out a bit early..?

VicarInaTutu Thu 08-Nov-12 01:57:45

marking a spot.....

i need a new duvet and have promised myself a decent feather one.....

I got a 100% goose down duvet several years ago. It cost me around £200 and I haven't regretted it once. It's light but warm and so fab to snuggle under. Spend as much as you can afford.

VicarInaTutu Thu 08-Nov-12 02:03:29

how can you tell if the feathers were live plucked or not? <ageing hippy who wants an ethical duvet>

MortimersRaven Thu 08-Nov-12 03:26:48

vicarinatutu Hmm... I'm not sure if there's a British standard to look out for... Here's a bit from my research:

''The majority of down is a by-product of the food industry and so its use is considerate of animal welfare. It doesn’t attract the same controversy as the ethical issues surrounding the fur industry. However, live plucking is practice that we need to be cautious of. Although illegal in the US and Europe due to its cruelty, it is known to occur in two European countries (Poland and Hungary) and in China.''

You can also check the seller's website - most will have an info section somewhere. Here is the one from John Lewis

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for John Lewis

reastie Thu 08-Nov-12 07:28:01

I have one of those synthetic ones that has a summer and autumn ones that clip together for winter - has anyone used this sort with down? Doe the clipping together make any difference to the duvet quality compared to buying separate light and heavy tog duvets does anyone know?

Also, I wash my duvet in mt machine - how to do you wash a down duvet? Can it be dry cleaned?

Oh, and pillow - what are the ultimate recommendations? I've tried 2 down duvets (don't like as they just go flat as soon as I lie on them), 2 synthetic ones and one synthetic and one down duvet but never got it perfect, although this could be due to my pillows themselves.

Sorry for hijack OP, you've got me thinking I should treat myself for christmas to a new duvet!

msrisotto Thu 08-Nov-12 08:12:58

No worries reastie.

I treated myself to new pillows recently. I went to Dunelm and gave them all a good testing! It's great, there are some specially for side sleepers and people who sleep on their back. I love them big time. And they weren't too expensive either which is nice.

reastie Thu 08-Nov-12 08:17:33

How long ago did you go though mrsr ? I've bought pillows and they were great for a few months but then after a year or so they go all droopy (and I do plump daily the down ones).

Personally I like a latex pillow - Dunlopillo are good and they last for years and years as good as new (although you'd want them to at over £50 a pop).

VicarInaTutu Thu 08-Nov-12 11:46:24

thanks mortimer

i will avoid those countries when i get around to getting one....i think i need to save up first!

reastie Thu 08-Nov-12 13:22:07

wild I'm allergic to latex, so I'm not sure that would work too well confused

All inspired by reading this thread, I've just ordered a new duvet. It's a Hungarian white goose down kingsize 13.5 tog, and it is currently half price from theduvetstore.co.uk at £120 instead of £240!

According to the blurb, it's 80% down, 20% small feather. I can't wait! After years of cheap nasty duvets, I'm hoping it's going to be like sleeping under a cloudgrin

MortimersRaven Thu 08-Nov-12 23:33:42

Congratulations parentallyinept, I hope you have many good nights of sleep!

reastie the clip together ones are no different in quality and you have the benefit of 3 warmth options. Down ones work the same way as synthetic so it's up to personal taste/cashflow really.

I'd recommend taking a duvet to a launderette instead of doing in the machine at home, most domestic machines are too small to clean them properly and can make them a bit lumpy since the filling can't move around during the wash. Down ones can be washed (check the label for the maker's instructions first) but they need a good old re-fluff afterwards.

As for pillows, if you don't like the ones that flatten easily you can buy 'firm' pillows that have more stuffing. Synthetic filling will plump down less quickly but has a shorter life. You can also buy pillows that have a synthetic core for plumpness, surrounded by a down filled outer casing for the feel of natural filling against your face.

I feel like such a geek right now... blush

Horsemad Fri 09-Nov-12 19:50:08

Mortimers are straight channels of stitching best or the check pattern? Thanks!

Thanks. It arrived today, I only ordered it yesterday! I'm stupidly excited at the prospect of bed timesmile

msrisotto Fri 09-Nov-12 20:52:19

I think mine is squares. I'm thinking of taking it to be professionally cleaned hoping that'll fluff it up again.

MousyMouse Fri 09-Nov-12 22:31:30

if you are worried about allergies you need to look at duvets sprouting the nomite logo 'cos it's the mites that cause allergy probs, not the feathers (usually).

also look for washable duvets (usually sown into 2 layers of outer fabric), which also helps against feather spikes sticking out.

get single duvets so that each partner can have what they need.

and very important: if you want to wash the duvet never ever use bio detergent, better to use wool/delicare detergent or shampoo.

MousyMouse Fri 09-Nov-12 22:45:11

oh and never ever have a duvet dry cleaned, the chemicals used for that are very toxic and could kill you.
if you have your duvet service washed by a cleaner, they will wash it as well, they won't risk poisoning their customers.

MousyMouse Fri 09-Nov-12 22:46:25

I'm on a roll wink duvets fluff up nicely in a tumble dryer, put in a couple of tennis balls or dryer balls.

MortimersRaven Sat 10-Nov-12 05:38:32

horsemad the check pattern helps distribute the filling more evenly so it doesn't all bunch down one end. Still will need shaking every now and again though.

clothaddict Sat 10-Nov-12 07:16:33

I recently bought a wool duvet and mattress topper. Amazing. Very very cosy, lush, comfy, heavy but breathable. Recommend. Devon duvets I think something like that. John Lewis sell the same brand. Google wool duvet you'll get info. I love mine.

reastie Sat 10-Nov-12 07:24:44

mortimers how di you know all this wink - I'd never heard of pillows with a synthetic core - sounds like the best of both worlds to me (hoping they aren't hideously expensive). I googled the JL duvet I had heard about from a few sources being v good - it's around £800 for a kingsize duvet shock <faints>

mousy I probably may well have used bio detergent to wash my synthetic duvet on more than one occasion, maybe that's why it's so rubbish

cloth a wool duvet? Never heard of it, I'm off to google! Is it all deep and snugly and light like down ones though?

Bonsoir Sat 10-Nov-12 07:26:09

Any new goose down duvet will be lovely! I changed my old and rather wanting duvet for a brand new goose down one after staying at Babington House for a few days.

Good sources are The White Company or John Lewis.

Horsemad Sat 10-Nov-12 12:26:41

Thanks * Mortimers* will look out for a check stitched one!

reastie Sat 10-Nov-12 13:32:02

Has anyone heard of the scots feather company for duvets? They have some great reductions on achica at the min with them and I'm tempted but can't find much about them when I google them to see how accurate the rrp is and how good their duvets are

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now