Fledglings Remember to FLY through November...

(621 Posts)

If your house is a mess and you are strugging with C.H.A.O.S. (can't have anyone over syndrome) and S.T.U.F.F. (something that undermines family fun) then this is the thread where we (loosely) follow the step-by-step Flylady housekeeping system (in our own, unique, relaxed style) with lots of chat, support and wine along the way.

This little-and-often system is designed so that you can follow a series of steps and routines each day (which gradually become second nature) in weekly designated zones of the house; defining and minimising housework - which in theory should leave you with more time to do other more interesting things instead! At the same time it is intended to reduce that panicky "rabbit in headlights" feeling when you are overwhelmed and everything needs doing all at once. No problem if you miss a day or two; just jump right back in and it will all come around next month again anyway!

We advise not signing up to receive the Flylady e-mails as you will be inundated! All the information you need will be linked here on a daily basis.

From the first of the month, we will be following Flylady's steps and routines using a three-pronged approach (dependent on the stage everyone is at):

- start or repeat baby steps

- repeat baby steps + do 15 mins a day decluttering in the current zone

- reinforce babysteps and do daily missions if you have finished decluttering.

[And if you are really enthusiastic and have finished decluttering - you can go on to detailed deep cleaning in each zone.]

More info here on getting started and Flying lessons. Here's the launch pad for more experienced fledglings. Don't be put off by the barf-tastic language of the site - the underlying system is sound (and you may discover a few of our subversions of the vocabularly along the way).

Many thanks to SC for leading the thread through October (and for such a good OP, which I've blatantly cut and pasted) - thanks - and I'll post the first babysteps and mission tomorrow evening.

All welcome!!

Long, long time lurker. Marking my place & determined to join in this month!

Hello! Joining back in, have been on this thread before a long while back. I am at the start or repeat baby steps stage, focusing on shining sink now - and it did make me smile when it shined this morning, thus: smile The other baby step I'm focusing on is Pick Up After Yourself - I spotted advice in a recent Flylady mail to pick up three times a day, so that's my aim. Really need to get home to be a consistent low-arousal environment to keep ds calm, so that's my big motivation!

GossipWitch Thu 01-Nov-12 14:50:02

ahhhhhhh I have done it, hall is now a tip and kitchen is now a storage area till dp comes back later, lounge is now a clutter free (except for coffee table) spacious haven, will be stripping wallpaper when kids go to bed tonight, and will be painting the ceiling tomorrow, I will be glossing tomorrow night and painting the walls on saturday day time, then sunday dp will wallpaper the one remaining wall, then it'll just be a case of adding the finishing touches and the lounge will be done smile I am feeling very proud of myself right now.

nightshade1 Thu 01-Nov-12 14:58:45

HELP this morning i found the kitchen under all the washing up/laundrey and other random items - 2 violins and a triangle on the dining table anyone? as i am HOSTING A DINNER PARTy tonight, i thought this a great plan to get ahead of myself and was feeling proud of the progress............untill DD1 her friend over they have baked and decorated cakes, trashed the sitting room and buried the kitchen once more - i have 4 hours till lift off. am i allowed to just bolt the door and sit in the corner swigging the gin?

strictlycaballine Thu 01-Nov-12 15:10:05

Thanks for thanks and [flowers] from earlier in thread!

A warm welcome to MrsHoarder (that should be my nickname!! wink) NotQuitePerfect and a warm welcome back to Systemsaddict (I remember you from previous thread smile)

Nightshade >"am i allowed to just bolt the door and sit in the corner swigging the gin? " Please can I join you!! That's exactly how I feel today too!

Hey Nicknacks great to see you - of course you can join us - you are already with us grin!!

And thanks for links Blue! Has the Fat Fairy been drinking I wonder? It seems to be Friday on the flight plan. Must be end/beginning of mth glitch. Well done with mahoosive desk declutter.

Blue/Toffee*/*PA we don't really "do" Halloween either (RC background so wasn't done when I was a child either and not really celebrated here either) - I just instigated a bit of cooking and dressing up in a desperate bid to keep dd entertained yesterday which sort of worked.

Dizzy your pumpkin carving skills are v. v. impressive!

Like Madwoman the start of the month has taken me by surprise! October went so fast ...house really needs serious attention. Bah humbug from here too!

Feetheart really admire you for running - must be nice having the opportunity to do so in lovely countryside too. My deadline for decluttering is Christmas as well - really want to have things much calmer/organised/more in control by then.

Swan we have had a bickery morning too blush Dh is at home (public holiday here) which is lovely so have had to abandon kitchen altogether - never mind shine the sink! He always has ants in his pants when he is not at the office! I have pointed him in direction of grassy knoll in garden which is slippy and dangerous and badly needs attention and the metalwork outside in street which is dusty and desperately needs cleaning but he doesn't want to do any of that - in fact he shows virtually zero interest in the house sad which can be rather disheartening. He served us all a cooked breakfast which was lovely and I just got that cleared away and then he started cooking pasta for lunch (I know, I know, ... I'm horrible to complain) but there's never enough time to do anything else in between! Still, dd needs fattening up so not all bad ... Hope your cold improves soon and good on your for going ahead with party despite attendant stress!

Enjoy your child-free day Whoknows Hope you can enjoy a bit of repose! ...

Gossip good luck with continued decorating/sort out/house overhaul strategy! You are doing brilliantly!

Consils arf at 4 hrs spent on weekly blessing hr!! grin Don't worry - very few of us get it done in allotted time! Hope you can wrap up warm!

Lauren v. impressed by your consistent lists and good luck with difficult mindee!

PA hope you find some furniture that fits size and budget!

Huge waves to Trazzles Maggot Honu Carpe Castlelough Ellie Pushme Shifty Bitchy and everyone else I've missed!

I must now go and try and overcome my grumpiness/irritation at the world in general (think a brisk walk might help) and then try and fight through the chaos - and actually DO something productive for once.

Hope eveyrone has a great Flying start to the month!

strictlycaballine Thu 01-Nov-12 15:16:56

Enjoy your evening out Toffee and hope dinner goes well Nightshades

Bitchy luv - where are you? Hope all OK!

Forgot to say hello to Justgettingonwithit and Issima and probably loads of others too

Going to take back control of my domain. Had guests last w/e then immediately went away for 2 nights leaving 17 yrs DS home alone (he had FIVE different friends staying in various combinations).

Work this morning, then supermarket to restock Everything. Don't know where to begin on bedrooms/kitchen/fridge clear out so think I'll start by shining my sink wink.

Engelsemama Thu 01-Nov-12 18:02:12

Just flapping in to say hi. House is a state. Am feeling rotten again so looking forward to the weekend.

Going to ignore the washing-up and head upstairs now and write my novel grin

MaggotMcVitie Thu 01-Nov-12 18:21:17

Well...
Have stripped beds and washed sofa covers today - sofas are looking lovely now shock at how grubby they must have looked before!

Have de-cluttered our bedroom
Taken DS's swimming
Done friends horses
Had a lesson re: holiday cottages and apartments I'm looking after next week while my friend (same one) has a well earned holiday
Been to docs re: virus which has made my joints swell up - have reactive arthritis apparently and now on anti-inflammatories - hoping it might deflate some of the fat too! hmm

Lovely DH has gone out for fish and chips so no cooking tonight grin

feetheart Thu 01-Nov-12 20:45:53

Ended up stressy and cross before going out at lunch-time - feeling that this half-term has been too busy and I'm struggling, and failing, to hold it all together. Not the calm, fun week I'd had been hoping for sad
However we all had a nice cold, brisk walk round the zoo plus much cake in the cafe, followed by swimming for DS/diving for DD and easy macaroni cheese dinner.
Early night all round I think and hopefully tomorrow will be calmer though do have to get DD to Brownie camp by 3pm - ho hum.

The only Flying done so far today has been one load of washing that I have still to hang out hmm but will do that and washing up before bed. Just watching Autumnwatch with boycat who came rushing in and is trying to work out how to get at the birds on the screen smile

Sorry for moany, me post.
Hope everyone else has had a better day.

Evening all,

Legoland was proclaimed a success by DH and the DCs, especially the water ride, the DCs have spent the evening asking when they can go again unfortunately I will probably have no excuse next time, not my idea of fun

I have done a bit of tidying, minimal filing (the piles of paper are too bulky for me to lift, as are the box files they need to go into), a short walk and placed an Ocado order and eaten lots of leftover trick or treat sweets

Watching Young Apprentice now <plumps up cushions in the naughty corner>

well I've managed to find my way over to this thread. had a few busy half term days with little time for flying or mumsnet, but my sink is still shining, and the tidy patch of kitchen is slowly spreading.

I really struggle to keep up with everyone on this thread but its nice to see some childminders on here and I'm very jealous of PA with her cleaner! I am still registered as a childminder, having done it for a year, but my mindee was very difficult, my kids were not happy and I was seriously stressed, and my anxiety was coming back, so I'm back on income support for a while, just looking after my youngest most of the time, and trying to find time to retrain myself in some software development skills, which is what i used to do once upon a time!

I have developed morning and evening routines, but my whole life seems rather out of control at the moment, so I'm back to baby steps - day number 5 today for me, and so far it is helping with my focus.
Was out for most of the day at a friends house today but I did manage to clean up after dinner - properly - and put a wash on so I'm getting there, and the kitchen is a little tidier than it was yesterday.

trumpalot Thu 01-Nov-12 21:28:19

JOBS done today..
beds made as soon as up
swished and swiped bathroom
swept and cleaned kitchen floor
cleaned front of cooker and washing machine and wall next to them!
washed and cleaned out washing powder drawer of w/m ..urghh
decluttered some hand bags.. bag in shed ready to go to charity shop tomorrow
decluttered sock/knicker drawer
decluttered large drawer in bedroom
continued toilet training dd (its half term) day 5.. no accidents at all whoop whoop!!!
washed/dried and put away halloween costume dd s not mine!! lol
recharged kindle (does that count?)

CaptainHoratioWragge Thu 01-Nov-12 21:32:58

Hello everyone, thanks for the welcome.
My sink was looking lovely and shiny this afternoon, and then I discovered mouse droppings in one of the kitchen cupboards. shock

It is the big corner one as well, that has loads of lost and forgotten stuff hiding at the back. So every plate, pan and cake tray in there has had to be washed this evening.

So more decluttering than I thought, but not by choice [hmmm]

deleted203 Thu 01-Nov-12 21:47:48

thanks to SC for the October thread and thanks to Blue for this one!

Captain I have got mouse droppings in ALL my ruddy kitchen cupboards. We are having a mouse-y blitz, but as fast as I clear out cupboards the beggars are back (sob). DH keeps setting traps but we seem to be inundated over the past couple of weeks. V depressing.

Ta da list

Made bed
Swish and swipe
Took birthday present to friend
Made lunch for ex MIL and visited (she's not well)
Made Drs appt for eldest DC
Had DS2's friend for afternoon (groan....two 7 yo boys have wreaked havoc in the whole of the upstairs)
Cooked tea for 7 of us
Picked up DD2 from course she's been on
Took DD1 to Dr
Finished knitting a scarf for Teddy
15 min de-clutter
Ironed a basket of clothes
Made a cake
Cleaned up kitchen
Did paperwork and bank run

Love and waves to all.

castlelough Thu 01-Nov-12 22:09:17

<waves to all >

Quiet day on the fly front here...
Did some school paperwork (teacher) and returned a book to the library (€9.20 fine hmm ).
But.... <drum roll!> I borrowed a book called "Cut the Clutter" gringrin <cackles at self>
Heading home to parents again tomorrow via two detours to visit friends strewn across the country...so no flying on the agenda at the castle until Monday wink.

Nightshade special mention to you - hope dinner party is going well.... <leaves a bottle of gin on naughty corner bar counter...for later!>

castlelough Thu 01-Nov-12 22:11:12

By the way it is lovely to see all the newcomers and returnees smile

swanthingafteranother Thu 01-Nov-12 22:17:12

SC I have to watch Dh like a hawk to see when he betrays the slightest interest in anything house or garden related...and then seize the moment grin
Atm I'm afraid to say his only obsession is the state of the recycling which he has arranged in perfect categories and he becomes incandescent if he finds it mixed up If only he would show an interest in cooking...but there again, I suppose washing up would be an inevitable side effect...hmm

today I have done
hit the bottom of the washing pile
forced ds1 to change his sheets
had a friend over for ds2
swept kitchen floor
wiped kitchen worktops
dw loaded and reloaded
bought cat litter
hot spotted a kitchen drawer or two
swept hall floor
de-halloweened front room
DH tidied dd's room
sent ds1 on a long walk to park (still no friends alas sad
made fish bake for tea
lamb chops for lunch
sorted out some of the overflowing fruit/veg

swanthingafteranother Thu 01-Nov-12 22:22:20

soworn teddy's scarf, how sweet smile
4 dcs wow, and I recommend cats for mice..our house really is a mouse house manque (loads of mismanagement and crumbs) but the cats stand like musketeers warding off all vermin, and lay it at our feet with depressing regularity (in fact they go and find the little blighters innocently cavorting in the flowerbeds and bring them in [grrr]
chairman I take my hat off to anyone who managed childminding, I know I couldn't [bows to Lauren and Nicknacks] be professional enough about it and stay good tempered for long enough
hope you feel better over coming weeks, I bet you are doing much better than you think [flowers]

So as the law of Sod would dictate, today would be the day I come home to find dd has wedged a counter unremovably in the dishwasher door handle, somehow turning it into a finger trap and making opening and closing it a high-risk feat of dexterity and daring. Sink shining will be more interesting from now on.

Still. Sink is shined, dishwasher running, and week-old cat footprints in paint have gone from the kitchen counter grin. Sofa rebuilt (ds dismantles it daily) and a few things picked up from living room. Have prepped the papers I need for tomorrow morning's meeting, and will get clothes out before bed. Now what I really want to do is crash on the sofa, but will try to Get to Bed at a Decent Hour and sleep in actual bed instead!

Chuffed that I am remembered, thanks caballine!

Busy again here today! My ta da! in no particular order:
Laundry done, dried and away
Sainsbo’s and Aldi shop, put away
Work
Hoovering – even moved the sofas!
S&S
Changed throws on sofas
Properly shiny sink
Various stuff up in the loft
Made up spare bed
Tidied bedrooms

FIL isn’t too fussy and the house is relatively tidy now, so it’ll do. Besides, they’ll be traipsing mud everywhere all weekend I expect…

Toffee - hope you enjoy your evening out, and glad to hear maths teacher is encouraging.

madwoman - hope you’ve had/are having a better day (not sure of time difference)

Glad you enjoyed your run, feet! grin at the cat watching Autumnwatch. Did he see the Scottish wildcats yesterday?

PA - shame about the maid not starting straight away. grin at 5’3” being a giant. Clearly I should live in Cambodia!

Cheers for the coffee machine, Honu!

Like “Buy beer” on your list, Carpe! grin

Gossip - good going with the living room. smile

Welcome MrsHoarder - we had an unshinable sink when I started on the thread too – it was awful so I feel your pain.

Consils - argh, re boiler. Hope house bleugh took less time than you thought.

swan - well done for getting through Halloween party. Ah, the perils of working from home when there is blue murder being screamed…

Welcome to NotQuite and trumpalot and welcome back to systemsaddict too.

Hope nightshade and SC haven’t been swigging gin all day… wink

castle - how overdue was that library book?? shock wink Or are Irish libraries really fierce with their fines?

Big waves to NickNacks, Lauren, Maggie, dizzy, Engelse, Captain, sowornout and anyone I’ve missed.

Links:

Babystep 2 is the controversial lace-up shoes… Don’t let it put you off if you’re a no-shoes-in-the-house kind of person, like me!

I’ll do the mission via sneak peek for the week as the flight plan seems to get confused by time zones and suchlike. Quick sweep and vacuum in entrance, porch and dining room.

systemsaddict - cross-posted - yikes to dishwasher finger trap! Daily reassembling of sofa sounds horribly familiar too...

Where did my last post go???? confused
I posted a long post last evening (well, evening here, lunchtime uk) and this morning it has disappeared! Grrr!!

Can't remember what I typed, but hello to everyone anyway.

madwomanintheattic Thu 01-Nov-12 23:51:41

Engels, are you doing nanowrimo? I think I am going to decide tonight whether I am or not... I really shouldn't, as I have ten thousand other way more important stuff on the list to do, but I figured it might be good for the soul...

Am in a far better mood today. smile had a pisser of a day yesterday. Picked up my first paltry pay cheque and still didn't have enough to pay the mortgage this month (had to call the bank and defer until next week when dh gets paid), then got home at lunchtime to find out that I hadn't even made the short list for interview for a job application that I had discussed with the HR dept and they had suggested and agreed I should be applying for (not current HR - from summer seasonal job employer). I wasn't banking on it, but I was pretty certain that I would make it to interview. And I didn't. It was a bit of a slap in the face with a wet kipper, particularly as not for profit colleague also knew I had applied, works there, and was going to give them a nudge. And current colleagues seem to be treating me as something of a remedial candidate, with lots of sighing and hiffing, and general rolling of eyes. So I was altogether gutted. And skint. And knackered. Great combination.

But today is a whole new day, and all that.

Hmm, and maybe I need cats to get rid of the fecking squirrels? The dogs aren't much cop...

<pointedly ignores lace up shoes> I am going to get myself sorted completely before I wake the dcs tomorrow though. There is no time at all once they are awake. <sigh>

The good news is (apart from on a financial front) my training for the new job is over, and I go onto part time hours next week, so I should be less, um, harassed. 9.30-1.30. grin I only need childcare every other Friday! <sees emotional if not fiscal light at the end of the tunnel)

I have sent dcs to get their act together and do their evening routines. wink

I am going to have a cup of tea. blush

madwomanintheattic Fri 02-Nov-12 01:27:26

Aaaaaaaah, you are <found the nano thread>
<ponders>
I have nowt. But ya gotta start somewhere, right?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now