Fledglings Remember to FLY through November...

(621 Posts)

If your house is a mess and you are strugging with C.H.A.O.S. (can't have anyone over syndrome) and S.T.U.F.F. (something that undermines family fun) then this is the thread where we (loosely) follow the step-by-step Flylady housekeeping system (in our own, unique, relaxed style) with lots of chat, support and wine along the way.

This little-and-often system is designed so that you can follow a series of steps and routines each day (which gradually become second nature) in weekly designated zones of the house; defining and minimising housework - which in theory should leave you with more time to do other more interesting things instead! At the same time it is intended to reduce that panicky "rabbit in headlights" feeling when you are overwhelmed and everything needs doing all at once. No problem if you miss a day or two; just jump right back in and it will all come around next month again anyway!

We advise not signing up to receive the Flylady e-mails as you will be inundated! All the information you need will be linked here on a daily basis.

From the first of the month, we will be following Flylady's steps and routines using a three-pronged approach (dependent on the stage everyone is at):

- start or repeat baby steps

- repeat baby steps + do 15 mins a day decluttering in the current zone

- reinforce babysteps and do daily missions if you have finished decluttering.

[And if you are really enthusiastic and have finished decluttering - you can go on to detailed deep cleaning in each zone.]

More info here on getting started and Flying lessons. Here's the launch pad for more experienced fledglings. Don't be put off by the barf-tastic language of the site - the underlying system is sound (and you may discover a few of our subversions of the vocabularly along the way).

Many thanks to SC for leading the thread through October (and for such a good OP, which I've blatantly cut and pasted) - thanks - and I'll post the first babysteps and mission tomorrow evening.

All welcome!!

laurenamium Fri 30-Nov-12 12:08:13

Hi all! Quick list dump, I've read the thread though grin congratulations on the cleaner nicknacks, it's an excellent idea, will take the pressure off your relationship with DH a bit too grin

Todo:
DD and mindee to playgroup
School run
clean bedding away
Routines
Nails done
Paperwork
Girls night

Body clutter: I've lost another 1.5 pounds which takes m to 31 pounds since February grin slow and steady!

strictlycaballine Fri 30-Nov-12 12:24:41

Hello. Feeling a bit stressed after a complete waste of a morning. Usually rave about Belgian medical services, but not today. Went to two separate appointments and both places were running late (one an hour and a half because of broken equipment - dd's orthodontist) and the next one (which I had had to really steel myself for) was two and a quarter hours behind with five others in waiting room and I couldn't stand the anxiety for that long(wibble emoticon) so have postponed (again).

Did pick up a present for a party dd is going to tomorrow though and do a supermarket shop so not an entire waste I suppose.

Came home and took my harrumphing mood out on a doorstop cheese sandwich and now have this terrible urge to go to sleep.

Must grab some caffeine as only have two hours in which to complete 8 tasks and then going to pick up dd and attend school fair ...

Swan dh just celebrated his 50th a couple of months back. He had a tooth out to celebrate! Good luck with your busy w/e

Hands brew to Nicknacks

You are on a roll Bitchy!

So are you Toffee!!

Blue you have been a terrific thread leader - thank you thanks!!!! - And crikey, yes, where did November go???? shock

Engels Sorry, shouldn't say so, but I just love coming across a sentence that says >" I cannot FLY and write a novel at the same time"!!! Bloody right too!! When you look back in 30 or so yrs to come, which will you regret most: having dusty surfaces or not writing a book? It's a no brainer!!! Love the Virginia Woolfness of it all ...smile

Thanks for new thread Lauren but "oh no" about your bloke... How very disappointing.... Do you want us fledglings to come round and biff him one???? [Crikey - see what you mean about the back end of that horse btw!! Was distracted by his lovely flowing locks]

Waves to Trazzles Gossip Dizzy Feetheart Madwoman Justgettingonwithit PA ellie Honu and everyone else!!

See you all on the other thread ...!

laurenamium Fri 30-Nov-12 12:32:09

Ah sc when someone turns out to be too good to be true they probably are unfortunately sad he hasn't actually done anything wrong to me but he has a police caution and has to go on a DV course from a past relationship. I was really shocked and sad, but I can't risk mine and DD safety sad so have called it a day!

strictlycaballine Fri 30-Nov-12 12:39:46

Oh, I'm so sorry to 'hear' that Lauren that's really sad news, especially when it all seemed to be going so well. Sounds like you have made a very prudent decision but still sad for you that it turned out that way.

Here's to finding the kind of bloke that you and your dd deserve!

[Leaves out wine and thanks for later ....]

ToffeeWhirl Fri 30-Nov-12 12:40:43

Oh, I'm sorry it turned out like this, lauren. You are doing the right thing by the sound of it.

Jamillalliamilli Fri 30-Nov-12 12:58:13

Lauren I'm really sorry, but so glad to hear your very sensible response.

It's very hard for people to entirely successfully rebuild natural barriers, once they've been broken down, no matter what the circumstances that caused it or how much they regret it.

It isn't just physical safety, even when they've learnt not to control themselves, living with unspoken fears takes the shine of everything.

_Absolute respect to you._

Jamillalliamilli Fri 30-Nov-12 12:59:20

even when they've learnt to control themselves!

laurenamium Fri 30-Nov-12 13:17:40

Thank you everyone! I wish he had mentioned it 6 months ago! Never mind, plenty more fish and all that sad

ToffeeWhirl Fri 30-Nov-12 14:15:22

((hugs))

<hands over strong brew to lauren>

swanthingafteranother Fri 30-Nov-12 14:40:12

omg Lauren, although everyone deserves a second chance, he should have told you straightaway to be given one.

SC poor you, ops are horrible, not suprising delay was final straw. Sounds like postponment in present circs is the better part of valour.

done
tidied three rooms, but not so that you would notice
talked to a friend
felt really rather low...dh has cooked a lovely spicy lunch though which cleared the sinuses magnificently
talked to Dyspraxia EP...still no nearer to having OT assessment sad missed dr slot this morning on telephone, so that merrygoround will have to wait till Monday...

Now am going to tackle my bedroom - maybe that will cheer me up

Dammnit! BIL has sent Xmas parcels for our three from Germany...he has pipped us to the post, and we have only to buy one present for his dd..Not a clue what she wants. He always sends the wrong presents that is my only consolation (DH would be very cross if he heard me say that blush)

<whizzes past> - nearly finished my Christmas shopping, back later, just wanted to send a quick hug to Lauren.

Honu Fri 30-Nov-12 15:32:25

My to-do list is so huge I'm not even strong enough to write it out. All I know is it would rival one of Bitchy's. I shouldn't be here at all, I should be trying to do some of it, but I have a severe case of rabbit-in-headlights-itis. I think I shall go and log onto the new thread, start the expresso machine, then write a list of 3 things and resolutely do them before collapsing with a rl strong coffee.

Oh, and Lauren, what a bummer! You know you've done the right thing though.

nightshade1 Fri 30-Nov-12 16:16:09

im floundering in the corner (or computer cupboard) with a house that looks like a bombs gone off! DS has had gorgeous long auburn ringlets till he found the scissors earlier and came to me baring and handfull of them saying they fell off sad lots of crying (from me) i know its only hair and realisticly he has only lost a few and its not THAT bad but sad sad
im supposed to be going out tonight, but i dont want to go now. my hearing aid isnt fixed, had early mc 2 wks ago, DD is being very difficult atm, the house is a tip and now DS hair. its all a bit much.

P.S. sorry about the woe is me rant i know others have it much worse, im going to hide with the gin and chocolate anyone else want to down your sorrows feel free to join

strictlycaballine Fri 30-Nov-12 16:42:47

School fair a lot less taxing than anticipated thank heavens ....glad to get home though ... freezing fog out there and perishingly cold

Nightshade so sorry about your mc sad thanks Can understand why the hair incident was the last straw. You rant away whenever you like and if you don't go out tonight, try and get the dc to bed early and open a bottle of wine and pamper yourself a bit x

Nightshade and Honu Sorry you are both so stressed. If it's any consolation my house has exploded too ...it's so untidy I had to cancel the cleaner as it really would have been impossible for her to wade through all the hideousness!! Every surface seems to be littered with crap. You two should definitely NOT feel guilty after what you have been through recently though - you have totally legitimate reasons for messiness!!

Heigh ho, tomorrow is another day, start of the month and all that and Honu has a good strategy there. We can do it!!!!!!

Hope you are not whizzing too fast Whoknows

Thank you Swan smile all starts again Tues eve (here's hoping there's not a queue this time) Medical issues are a merry go round aren't they? Hope your day is getting better. One of dd's godparents is similarly efficient - Christmas present always arrives in November. Don't have a hope of competing.

That's the spirit Lauren

Waves to Justgettingonwithit

Flaps wings at everyone and ambles off unenthusiastically to cook fish ...

NickNacks Fri 30-Nov-12 19:16:25

Hugs for nightshade and lauren sounds like you've both had a rough time.

I was whizzing because of nearly being late for school pickup SC, thank you for looking out for me. I am officially allowed to be fully active apart from heavy lifting and high impact exercise now, spent several hours Christmas shopping today (dropping bags off to the car before they got heavy) and the only thing aching tonight is my feet, hoorah!

Nightshade - sorry you are having such a tough time, I had three early MCs and they were very upsetting.

Got to dash - DS is whinging. See you on the other thread later <grabs coffee from Honu>

dizzyday07 Fri 30-Nov-12 23:58:28

Popping on just before the end of the month!

Hugs to all who need them. I too have had 3 early MMC so Nightshade take it a day at a time x

List that covers the last couple of days:
* Washing in and hung to dry
* Clean washing put away
* Emptied bin and recycling
* RR of dining room - including de-extending the table that has been up since Halloween
* Mercy mission to Argos to collect an on-offer toy for an internet friend - and posted it to her
* Mini Quilt finished and posted to USA
* Pink quilt finished up to binding (need to sew on over weekend)
* Found and hung advent calender and filled pockets with sweets

I gave in and unpacked DH's suitcase that has been lying on the bedroom floor for 3 weeks. More fool me but I couldn't stand having to shift it to get into my side of the wardrobe any more angry

See you all on the other side

dizzyday07 Sat 01-Dec-12 00:03:42

Lauren - biggest hugs to you. It must be hard for him if he is trying to reform, but yes he should have told you and you have to think of your and DD's safety.

castlelough Sat 01-Dec-12 13:16:00

Thank you for the thread Blue.
Have been a bit useless this month. Next month will be better though smile
Lauren I'm sorry things haven't worked out with your date. You and DD deserve only the very best. xxx

Nightshade I'm sorry about your early mc. Sending you babydust xxx

Will see everyone else on the December thread xx

swanthingafteranother Sat 01-Dec-12 22:35:07

I've done some Christmas shopping! Only 6 godchildren to go, and my own children confused Have done some stocking fillers, and a proportion of ds1's present. Also a card for Dh birthday. That is something, anything shock

Also saw all the delicious readymade things in M & S sad Better not to even look in there, or why bother cooking anything?

Dd is off snowboarding tomorrow. In a snowdome!

Ds2 went swimming this afternoon, and the others were in a local concert. Ds2 has been in a complete state since 6pm (he has a very calm, some might say boring, day with exercise x 2, and no concert), and for the life of us we can't understand why...gibbering, throwing things, and running around, then screaming his head off when told he had behaved too badly to watch Merlin. He absolutely hates it when dh is cross with him (which is very seldom) so perhaps that is why he has completely lost it this evening. Still it is very disconcerting. Dh calmed him down. He is such a creature of habit that he has to get on with his DAD and watch Merlin for everything to be right with the world. I hope things aren't going to go on deterioating. Maybe he just wants to see more people, rather than less people. We have sort of been avoiding large crowds, but maybe that has backfired. He was then in very good form for the last half hour before bedtime confused cracking jokes, and generally happy. I think he is finding life very boring atm, he needs an adventure or trip of some sort.

Sorry, just rambling as usual. I hate winter!!! And this house is sooo freezing. I am huddled in kitchen, too cold in watch telly even in any comfort.

WhoKnowsWhereTheMistletoes Sat 01-Dec-12 22:49:13

Pssst, over here New Thread

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now