Fledglings Remember to FLY through November...

(621 Posts)

If your house is a mess and you are strugging with C.H.A.O.S. (can't have anyone over syndrome) and S.T.U.F.F. (something that undermines family fun) then this is the thread where we (loosely) follow the step-by-step Flylady housekeeping system (in our own, unique, relaxed style) with lots of chat, support and wine along the way.

This little-and-often system is designed so that you can follow a series of steps and routines each day (which gradually become second nature) in weekly designated zones of the house; defining and minimising housework - which in theory should leave you with more time to do other more interesting things instead! At the same time it is intended to reduce that panicky "rabbit in headlights" feeling when you are overwhelmed and everything needs doing all at once. No problem if you miss a day or two; just jump right back in and it will all come around next month again anyway!

We advise not signing up to receive the Flylady e-mails as you will be inundated! All the information you need will be linked here on a daily basis.

From the first of the month, we will be following Flylady's steps and routines using a three-pronged approach (dependent on the stage everyone is at):

- start or repeat baby steps

- repeat baby steps + do 15 mins a day decluttering in the current zone

- reinforce babysteps and do daily missions if you have finished decluttering.

[And if you are really enthusiastic and have finished decluttering - you can go on to detailed deep cleaning in each zone.]

More info here on getting started and Flying lessons. Here's the launch pad for more experienced fledglings. Don't be put off by the barf-tastic language of the site - the underlying system is sound (and you may discover a few of our subversions of the vocabularly along the way).

Many thanks to SC for leading the thread through October (and for such a good OP, which I've blatantly cut and pasted) - thanks - and I'll post the first babysteps and mission tomorrow evening.

All welcome!!

NickNacks Sat 24-Nov-12 21:31:51

Hi Everyone.

I just wanted to pop back and say thank you to you all for your support and lovely kind words last week. I did read it all but made me a bit teary thinking of everything over too much so I hid from Flying for a bit.

Anyway, happily things are a bit better. I realised I probably do expect quite a lot from DH. He does put DD to bed if he's here, he's in charge of the food shop and finances, takes the cars to get fixed, mows lawn, does at least half of the running around of DC to activities. I know I sound like I'm making excuses for him now but I am genuinely feeling better. He's also stepped up a bit and I've calmed down so hopefully we'll meet in the middle!

So will slope back into the thread and post my list for tomorrow.

(DH is working so is forgiven for not helpingsmile)

Feed bath dress dd ready to get picked up
Mop kitchen
Finish laundry
Put all clean clothes away
Hoover stairs
Write invoices
Write card & wrap gift
Drop DS at party
Collect DD
Collect DS
Tidy my room
Tidy dd room
Pack sport kits
Lay out uniforms
Hoover upstairs
Dust upstairs
Clean bathroom
Wipe out fridge
Get ds's to shower
Ds's to do homework
Cook roast
Get boys to clean out car

Hmm lots more to do but I think that's pushing it. smile

Unfortunately not really Ellie. i am drained. However, there was a whole hour and half where he was being occupied and I just had to watch. That was lovely. And he went to bed without too much fuss once i got him tonight bed. Which was nice. Hoping for a better day tomo.

*into not tonight.

Evening all,

Another one with a DH at work today, he said he just had to pop in at 8.30 to let a tradesman in and then go back and close up when he had finished this afternoon, but ended up there right through to 5.30. So the DCs and I had a lazy day at home, with limited small screen time but the telly ended up on all afternoon, we watched Cinderella, some cartoons, F1 qualifying and Strictly. They played really well together all morning after an hour or so on the computer first thing. DD has a set of colour in yoursefl Christmas cards, so she has done her cards for her school friends today, putting my Christmas efforts to shame.

I installed family protection software on the computer this week and DH is getting cross tonight that it is interfering with his surfing, he has just come in growling cos it won't let him follow links on one of his forums to a photo sharing website, my reaction was oh good, that's exactly the sort of thing it's meant for and he is completely perplexed, does not get why the DCs being able to follow such links might be a bad thing. We talked about this on here a few weeks ago, I was wondering how others were getting on with it, was it you Swan that had it installed recently?

Bitchy - hope you get a decent sleep tonight and have a good day tomorrow.

Ellie - I would pass on the Church parade too, especially in this weather, it has rained solidly all day here.

Nicknacks - glad you ar feeling a bit better about things now. I get similar waves of frustration with DH, he works long hours compared to me, so it is fair that I do most of the housework, but I do get resentful at the fact that I do all the "responsible" stuff, finances, shopping, book holidays, organise all childcare, car maintenance, house and garden maintenance. He does do some of the latter two, but only when and how I tell him, I organise garages, tradesmen, anything we can't do ourselves.

Toffee - sounds like a productive day, well done.

Swan - I bought DD a big playmobil school fo Christmas about two years ago, she did like it but we simply haven't got anywhere to keep it out, it is too big. She was only 4 then, so I built it, must have taken about 6 hours in total but I did enjoy it. I'd like to have another go with it but the crate it is all in is too heavy for me to shift at the moment, it is under another full one of Happyland that she won't get rid of, must enlist DH's help and get it out.

Consils - I weigh myself very randomly, sometimes I do it most days, other times I leave it all week. Had a bad diet day today, being at home all day is not good for dieting, too tempting to grab a biscuit and we had a dips and nibbles meal in front of the telly tonight.

*Castle - sorry to hear about your aunt.

Turquoise - I have got some white wool with a little silver threqd running through it for the snowflakes, verey pretty, but I plan to block them with spray starch and not sure if they will stay shiny.

Waves at anyone I have missed, I'm on the Ipad so scrolling is a bit hit and miss (risk of losing a long post). Have a good Sunday everyone.

<Lobs Golden Duster awards at Ellie and Toffee >

Not much Family Fun here today - hate Saturday afternoons when everyone's on top of each other and at each other's throats. Hey ho.

Anyway, quick links and off to bed.

No mission for Sunday - we should all be renewing our spirits instead...

Babystep is another testimonial thingy.

Night all!

NickNacks Sun 25-Nov-12 11:14:03

Mop kitchen
Finish laundry
Hoover stairs
Write invoices
Write card & wrap gift
Drop DS at party
Collect DD
Collect DS
Tidy my room
Tidy dd room
Pack sport kits
Lay out uniforms
Hoover upstairs
Dust upstairs
Clean bathroom
Wipe out fridge
Get ds's to shower
Ds's to do homework
Cook roast
Get boys to clean out car

I haven't ticked much off but haven't stopped this morning! Got a full day ahead of me.

Hope you are all having lovely Sundays.

Engelsemama Sun 25-Nov-12 12:06:18

Afternoon all - have been awol this week blush

have only scanned thread but have also been out in the gardne this weekend Toffee - have finally cleaned bench and put away for winter, along with hosepipe. Also pulled up all old tomato/pepper plants and filled up green bin with waste. Am sure no one will notice it!

Felt good to get outside though. spend far too much time indoors.

swanthingafteranother Sun 25-Nov-12 14:23:45

Ellie just looked up Sybaritic myself. My goodness, I didn't know any of that stuff shock Luxuriant Greeks, horses that danced to pipe music, sleeping on rose petals, city destroyed by a giant river diverted by envious neighbours! Wow, can't compare little red plastic pieces playmobil to any of that.

We are all ill, not so badly, but just snuffling and coughing and wheezing. Having a lazy day. Lunch was all prepared on Friday (shepherd's pie), and dd made a Devil's food cake with me.

Ds2 has been having fun with the agricultural silo and tractor, Ds1 decided to put the red lentils all over the carpet.

Usual rows over untidy rooms. And usual arguing children. Dd says it is not her job to put her clean clothes away it is mine shock. No way Jose, so we have compromised on piles of folded clothes in her room that SHE puts away. I think the more you give teens the more petulantly they behave. (okay she is not a teen yet, but I can forsee this getting far worse, the entitlement stakes) I am making an effort to speak to them all very politely though, which is one thing I have learnt from FT.

Nicknacks Glad you are feeling slightly better.

swanthingafteranother Sun 25-Nov-12 14:31:00

nicknacks I see the phrase, "get boys to clean out the car" on your list and am full of admiration. My sister's boys do that all the time, but mine just start crying and arguing when I try to get them to do it, and I have honestly completely given up trying to bother to do that job with them. Ds1 is at 12 the most impractical person you could ever meet, he can hardly tie his shoelaces, a piece of paper never makes it out his bag without being crumpled into a ball. Ds2 is even worse. It feels like getting a cat to write a sonnet to get them to do anything practical beyond laying the table or loading the dw sad

Jamillalliamilli Sun 25-Nov-12 15:51:18

Have read thread but am unable to do personal's at the moment (hope to be back later) Resigned to the fact I clearly should have had ‘Build Ark’ on a to do list earlier in the year! Flat’s suffered further flooding a couple of days ago and again last night. There wasn't anything we could do to stop it, too much wind and water and nowhere for it to go.

Trying to summon up the energy to keep going through this is proving hard. Have rather had enough now, but am acutely aware others have it worse. (can't get that poor girl in the tent out of my mind. I know it sounds stupid as it makes no odds to her now, but I hope she was living in a tent through choice, not because it was all the home they had. sad )

Am off to flat to organise getting us pumped out tomorrow and write yet another ‘how to fix this’ plan. Going to try and make it to church (have never tried an evening service before, so no idea what d/s will make of it) and then come back here and try and catch up a bit.

Jamillalliamilli Sun 25-Nov-12 15:55:45

oh and make Christmas pudding!

elliepac Sun 25-Nov-12 16:59:59

Evening all.

Far less productive day but a far more relaxed one hence a small ta da list!

Ta da:-
General maintenance tidy downstairs
Washing/drying/putting away x 3
2 hours lesson planning
watched Wizard of Oz with dc's
lounged around on sofa mn'ing
Sunday dinner nearly cooked.

To do:
Bathe DD
Make sure DS bathes himself
Long hot soak for me.
FInish Sunday dinner
Packed lunches
Crappy tv

Dc's have once again been remarkably good. I gained inspiration/balls from you lot and banned screens all morning. They actually played with their toys shock. Nicely. Together. They also got togged up and played in the garden for a little while and all this allowed me to get my lesson planning done earlier on in the day rather than on Sunday evening when I normally get around to doing it. DH has been at work for most of the day so am about to serve Sunday dinner and have a bit of family time.

just sad. You are so strong and your attitude to it all is amazing.

Back later.

ToffeeWhirl Sun 25-Nov-12 17:21:08

Did ironing last night, then was up first thing this morning to finish tidying the house. Have moved all the boxes into our room and DS1's room, so the rest of the house is immaculate. Am seriously wondering if it is possible to keep it this tidy until Christmas... hmm

The visit went well and there was only one disparaging comment about the house, which is an improvement on previous visits from this particular person.

Just - I'm so sorry. It's just not fair. As always, I am so impressed by your stoicism and positive attitude.

Ellie - glad you've had a nice family day.

Swan - I also had to look up sybaritic blush. Sorry you are all ill - hope you get better soon.

Engels - well done on also getting out into the garden. I keep looking at mine and feeling proud at how tidy it is compared to before.

Nicknacks - glad you are feeling better smile.

Blue - ooh, a golden duster award! Thanks <listens for applause> <bows>

DS2 is calling me. Breaktime over.

NickNacks Sun 25-Nov-12 18:44:38

Mop kitchen
Finish laundry
Hoover stairs
Write invoices
Write card & wrap gift
Drop DS at party
Collect DD
Collect DS
Tidy my room
Tidy dd room
Pack sport kits
Lay out uniforms
Hoover upstairs
Dust upstairs
Clean bathroom
Wipe out fridge
Get ds's to shower
Ds's to do homework
Cook roast
Get boys to clean car out

just It all just sounds like a living nightmare. So sad for you sad

Swan I'm very lucky with my dc actually. I caught them early and they've been doing chores since they were toddlers. The boys are 8 and 6 and between them each week take the dustbins out and bring in again, strip their beds and help remake them, empty DW each morning, they can Hoover, dust, sweep, wipe and lay table, excellent at tidying, and are fab at helping with DD (2). I was determined not to have boys who couldn't manage around the house and do their fair share.

smile

HappyTurquoise Sun 25-Nov-12 19:05:14

Relaxing at last.

ta da:
bedding changed in main bedroom & my bedside cabinet cleared up
nearly all the pesky ends sewn in for blanket 2 while listening to The Archers and Just A Minute
huge lot of ironing while catching up with Nigel Slater recordings
dealt with the flooded bathroom/light fitting/kitchen from dd's shower overflowing.
cooked soup and yummy cheese scones from things just lying around in kitchen

to do:
the pesky ends on the last 5 blocks.
crochet a few more blocks to add colour interest.
Relax and enjoy some Downton Abbey

swanthingafteranother Sun 25-Nov-12 21:43:24

just sad Is there any plans to move somewhere else in future? Or is that question enough to make you want to tear your hair out further, if so sorry blush

tada
managed to get to church for 6pm service
Ds1 now in floods of tears after watching Youtube excerpts of Boy in Striped Pjs (tis dd's set book for Yr 6) Especially upset because he has both Jewish and German roots.
did a lot of washing up, as it no longer fits in dw! Making one cake has made a lot of mess - maybe the mess of baking is part of its therapeutic charm!

Dh continues in bad mood over demands on him! Ds2 is sick and I'm meant to be at a volunteer slot for 2 hours(on a monthly rota tomorrow) so I said I would leave ds2 in the house on the sofa in front of telly, so it shouldn't disturb his business work upstairs, but I think he feels I am taking advantage of his working upstairs. Followed by an appt with ds1 school at 2pm. Think I am going to have to reschedule that one. Can't reschedule volunteering as it means someone else gets let down, who usually helps every single week confused

Anyway otherwise the week is bulging with busyness, and I still haven't bought any presents for anyone or been to hairdresser for 6 months...Not that anyone needs presents hmm I've got a big pile of Xmas cards though from last year so am somewhat ahead in that respect...

Toffee at least the visitor has her advantages - still not nice to feel bullied by anyone.

swanthingafteranother Sun 25-Nov-12 21:45:18

Nicknacks I know you are right, it is just the positive attitude that makes children helpful, and that's why my heart has to be in it when I want them to help, not merely a ranting tearing hair out sort of request...blush

NickNacks Sun 25-Nov-12 22:04:50

Sorry swan I just read our 'conversation' back and realised I sound like a right arse. blush I agree it's very difficult to get them to help when they are not feeling very helpful and in that respect mine are no different, I hate getting shouty but it happens sadly when I'm desperate for cooperation. The tactic we use at the moment is 'The Power of 15'. I'll say to them that they can finish that tv prog/game/ turn on wii but then I want 15 minutes of jobs from them. I join in too and grab my list and we rush around doing as much and we can. They come back to me after each completed job for the next one and it's almost a game. They then get another pleasant thing at the end such as I'll make us hot chocolate or play a game with them.

(sorry this is me just passing on what I find works. I agree it's so hard though and I do get sulks and 'Do I HAVE to?' a lot)

Evening all.

Getting glazed eyes from researching Christmas presents on the interweb all evening, so once just links.

Babystep 26 is impossible if you haven't signed up for the emails! grin

Mission - we're moving into the living room this week and first up is getting rid of anything that doesn't belong there.

Hope everyone has a good week!

I always worry about the amount, or rather lack of amount if chores my DCs do. They are both very different, DS will do things that are drummed in as routine, which DD won't, but DD often joins in and helps of her iwn accord, but only when she feels like it, no amount of nagging, threats ir bribery really work in her. They do for DS though. Also if it's something they both have to do, like tidying, DS will do both shares for extra credit.

Nick - you didn't sound like an arse, just someone who has got things sussed WRT DCs and chores. One thing I have learnt from MN is mot to read too much into posts as they are only a snippet of the whole picture.

OK day here, we had a half price ticket for Portsmouth Historic Dockyard which had to be activated this year and the weekends are flying by so we braved the weather but it was pretty grim so we didn't stay long. It is mow valid for repeat visits for a year so we will go again at a later date, it's not too far. Then back for F1, which I am grafually getting sucked into via DS, tea, Strictly results and bed fir the DCs. I have just traumatised myself by watching the episode of ER where Dr Green dies <sobs>.

Flying wise, not much, judt tidying and washing. Also, dragged myself into the 21st century by plugging my whole calendar contents into my phone and successfully syncing it with Zopad and com

Ipad and computer I mean. Phone fingers strike again.

swanthingafteranother Sun 25-Nov-12 23:27:33

oh just checked in as waiting for a wash to spin, and
Nicknacks I am not at all offended! I love to hear it IS possible, and it gives me more confidence to proceed with serious proddinggrin
And indeed your method is the one Dh employs (although he is erratic) It does work!

Kitchen is vaguely tidy, and full of steaming laundry hanging up to dry.
I am feeling hopeful about next week...if I can just get through the money counting tomorrow and cancel that appt! Can't really think further than those problems...my method for reducing stress, just don't think wink

swanthingafteranother Sun 25-Nov-12 23:31:46

I remember that episode Whoknows. It was many years ago wasn't it? shock

Off to bed now.

Yes, probably 10 years ago. I'm watching the whole series again on Sky Atlantic, it's just brilliant. Hope tomorrow works out ok Swan.

Jamillalliamilli Mon 26-Nov-12 00:07:48

Definitely not feeling strong or the owner of a good attitude.
Made the pudding, probably too much alcohol in it, (may have to attack it with a straw) and watched son look very serious over his wish. We did make it to church, discovered there’s no choir to cover up the tuneless (whistles) in the evening, but interesting accessible sermon regardless of anyone’s beliefs.

Hello to Happy Turquoise

Swan not unless we win the lottery. (In which case I’m building something on stilts!)

Toffee only four weeks to go, it’s technically possible.

Who knows Nooooo! I’d forgotten all about Er and Dr Green.

Blue hope you’ve found yourself a present too.

Castle very sorry to hear your aunts news. Hope all goes well with yours.

SC The rabbits sound like they’ve landed on their paws! I hope you can get it through that you need creature comforts to make a home fit for yourselves too.

NickNacks glad you feel things can be worked on.

Ellie I had to look up what sybaritic meant too.

Bitchy I hope your weekend got better.

Waves to all and apologies but must go to sleep before the fat fairy catches me and the snoring reaches the point where I can't drop off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now