Fledglings Remember to FLY through November...

(621 Posts)

If your house is a mess and you are strugging with C.H.A.O.S. (can't have anyone over syndrome) and S.T.U.F.F. (something that undermines family fun) then this is the thread where we (loosely) follow the step-by-step Flylady housekeeping system (in our own, unique, relaxed style) with lots of chat, support and wine along the way.

This little-and-often system is designed so that you can follow a series of steps and routines each day (which gradually become second nature) in weekly designated zones of the house; defining and minimising housework - which in theory should leave you with more time to do other more interesting things instead! At the same time it is intended to reduce that panicky "rabbit in headlights" feeling when you are overwhelmed and everything needs doing all at once. No problem if you miss a day or two; just jump right back in and it will all come around next month again anyway!

We advise not signing up to receive the Flylady e-mails as you will be inundated! All the information you need will be linked here on a daily basis.

From the first of the month, we will be following Flylady's steps and routines using a three-pronged approach (dependent on the stage everyone is at):

- start or repeat baby steps

- repeat baby steps + do 15 mins a day decluttering in the current zone

- reinforce babysteps and do daily missions if you have finished decluttering.

[And if you are really enthusiastic and have finished decluttering - you can go on to detailed deep cleaning in each zone.]

More info here on getting started and Flying lessons. Here's the launch pad for more experienced fledglings. Don't be put off by the barf-tastic language of the site - the underlying system is sound (and you may discover a few of our subversions of the vocabularly along the way).

Many thanks to SC for leading the thread through October (and for such a good OP, which I've blatantly cut and pasted) - thanks - and I'll post the first babysteps and mission tomorrow evening.

All welcome!!

Evening all, and welcome to Paneer, Catmint, Nightshade and CaptainHoratio.

Paneer - the idea behind Flylady is that it all builds up gradually, so if you start by keeping your sink shiny you'll be fine. smile

WhoKnows - it's great that you've got such helpful family!

SC - impressed by all your halloween baking!

Waves to PA - hope we can keep the thread manageable for you! Good luck with new house, cleaner etc.

Just - Not surprised there's no flying with all that going on!

Issima - sounds like some serious nesting - keep us posted...

<Clinks glasses with Carpe> - cheers!

Big waves to Trazzle, Lauren, Engels, castle, Ellie, Feet and anyone else I've missed!

There's been no Halloween stuff here, partly because my parents are very anti so it's never been part of my life, and partly because DS1 is still a bit scared by the mob of overly realistic zombies he opened the door to last year. He kind of wanted to go trick or treating, but also wanted to stay at home and refuse to answer the door!

Still, I have got some work done and am currently basking in the glow of my decluttered desk. The study/spare room needs to be cleared for FIL on Friday so managed to do that after collecting the boys this afternoon. smile

Here come the first links for November...

Babystep 1 is to shine your sink.

The flight plan for tomorrow includes the mission, which is chucking out rubbish from the hall, porch and dining room, and the new habit of the month, which is menu planning.

ToffeeWhirl Thu 01-Nov-12 02:39:29

Can't sleep thanks to absolute downpour outside, so am drinking hot chocolate and enjoying an uninterrupted MN session smile.

Went trick or treating with DS2 and our neighbours last night. It's always fun to see how people have decorated their houses (some are like film sets) and how they dress up for the occasion, but goodness, there was a biting cold wind! Even DS2 had to give in and put his coat on. Was very glad to get back home again.

Did anyone see the MN thread on pumpkin carvings? I was quite proud of our efforts until I saw the artistry of MNetters.

<waves welcome duster to Paneer, Catmint, Nightshade and CaptainHoratio>

Blue - Thanks for the links. I really need to do that mission. We have a narrow hall, so it is easily cluttered up (and usually is blush). Well done on your decluttered desk. My recently decluttered bedside table brings a smile to my face every time I see it.

Trazzle - great to see you here smile.

PA - very good idea to get someone to help in the house and it will help provide someone with a much-needed wage as well.

WhoKnows - glad your DH is off work for the rest of half term and can help you.

JustGetting - grin at the chap asking to use the loo! What did he do instead?! Sorry you are still having to deal with the consequences of the flooding though. Am constantly amazed at your resilience.

SC - your Halloween grub sounds fantastic <looks sorrowfully at half-eaten pizza and empty sweet wrappers> envy.

<waves to Ellie, Castle, Engels, lauren, Carpe and Feet>

<looks in naughty corner for missing regulars>

Probably won't get on here tomorrow as it's one of those busy days: lovely cleaner is coming first thing, then I'm taking DS2 to a party (and helping out), then I'm going out for the evening.

madwomanintheattic Thu 01-Nov-12 02:45:46

dh carved a Harry potter pumpkin... He tweeted it. <sigh>

Well, here I am. Less than two months to Christmas, bah humbug. grin

Am generally mardy and a bit of a nightmare today, so will go and sleep it off and wake to November! <how in the heck did that happen?>

feetheart Thu 01-Nov-12 06:30:51

OK, new month, new start again
SC - I did the 'must do better' last month too and the month before. This time I really mean it as we will be at home for Christmas and I want the house in a good state so I can enjoy it properly.
Also need to conjure up more time as intending to start running again properly - off out in a minute as sign of good intentions smile

Welcome to all the newbies - we aren't very scary just very chatty. Flylady is sometimes bonkers but the system works if you actually do stuff rather than just talk about it smile

PA - well done on getting a maid. As Whoknows says, when did lack of Flying ever stop any of us posting grin

Trazzle - good to see you here, thoughts and best wishes coming from this direction too

Whoknows - hurrah for families that are able and willing to help

Just - shock and <<thud>> HUGE respect for your positive attitude/fortitude

OK, enough stalling, I need to run. Thing is I love it once I'm out there and love the smug 'I've done exercise before you were even up' feeling it gives me for the rest of the day smile Its just a bit dark and cold out there at the moment.
Have a good first day everyone.

Lovely to "see" you here Trazzle Much love and thoughts to you and your family. ((hugs)) too! wink

SC Halloween sounds fun with you! Nothing done here, which I don't mind cos I was never into all the halloween stuff myself.

Feetheart Hope the run was good.

Toffee Massive storm here last night, too! grin not the same one, I doubt!

Waves to everyone else. smile

<<sigh>> "maid" isn't coming until the weekend now as she is away in the country <sigh> just as I got all excited and thought that was the end of my housework today i have had to clean all the floors, AGAIN!! I am torn between leaving it for her to do now when she starts, but then she might take one look at the place and decide that we are filthy white people and not come ever again!

Just been furniture shopping with DH. Another <sigh> !! grin \What we like is way out of our budget and what is in our budget is a bit too Cambodian for us!! These people are built differently. I am 5' 3" and I feel like a giant here. I tower over the men let alone the women. So all their chairs and sofa's are designed for midgets and we end up sitting with our knees up to our chests!

Skype night tonight! Weeeeeee!!!! grin

Right off to do some work, so have a good day everyone!

Honu Thu 01-Nov-12 06:51:16

I'm here and have reinstated the expresso machine in the naughty corner as I definitely need the caffeine. Have resisted adding croissants as I have reverted to muesli for body clutter reasons. Lovely to see you back PA.

CarpeJugulum Thu 01-Nov-12 08:02:32

Morning all.

Got guests here so flying will be minimal, just keeping up with laundry mountain and shining my much in need of it sink.

To do list:
Organise dinner (print Chinese menu from t'internet)
Organise washing for us, DS and guest.
Hand in nursery contract (so DS can start on Wednesday eep!)
Buy beer
Change library books for DS
Pick up skirts
Shine sink after finding it!

Hope everyone has a lovely day

MaggotMcVitie Thu 01-Nov-12 08:20:23

Just checking in quickly - today will be the day I get it together! Will report back later with my impressive list of achievements hmm

laurenamium Thu 01-Nov-12 08:47:08

Morning all, it's my long day at work today and I'm at a friends birthday meal tonight but I will post a list- most of it was on yesterday's list but I got carried away with other things yesterday! Will post yesterday's ta da and today's to do!

Yesterday's ta da:
DD and mindees to the woods for a witch hunt
My laundry
Walked dogs
Mowed lawn in back garden
Planted hyacinth bulbs with DD
Cleaned kitchen after bulb planting
Bathed dogs
Cleaned bathroom and washed bath mats
Swept kitchen floor
Hoovered and routines
Kitchen hotspot
Put away the massive mound of clothes from my room

Today's to do:
Put away DD laundry
DD and mindees to library for Halloween crafts
Kitchen hotspot (already blush)
Routines
Walk dogs
1 wash load
Get petrol
Out for tea
No porch or dining room here and a tiny hall, so will pull out sofas in living room and Hoover and toy rescue underneath

BBL!

ToffeeWhirl Thu 01-Nov-12 08:57:13

Honu! I was wondering where you'd gone to. You will be pleased to hear DS1 now has a proper Maths teacher (see, I do listen to your advice) and, after just one lesson, he was beaming and telling me that he'd done really well grin.

Can I have some of that coffee from the naughty corner, please?

PA - how annoying about your cleaner's delay - just when you got all excited too.

Must go and crisis clean myself and house before the cleaner gets here grin.

NickNacks Thu 01-Nov-12 08:58:51

Please may I join you?

I've had a busy month or two with childminding and house is starting to slip. I had decluttered really well but it's starting to seep in again. December is so busy in our family (as is most) with lots of birthdays Xmas and lots of jobs on house are bring done at the moment. We've a new floor downstairs which I'm loving cleanibg at the moment! smile

laurenamium Thu 01-Nov-12 09:03:42

Hi nicknacks! I was wondering about you grin good to have you back!

NickNacks Thu 01-Nov-12 09:17:24

Hi lauren I'm still here, just drowning a bit in everything at the moment.

We've had a busy month with looking round and choosing new school for ds1, close friends wedding weekend and tons of cm paperwork catching up. How are you? smile

laurenamium Thu 01-Nov-12 09:27:22

I'm okay, have a nightmare mindee at the minute but that's a whole other thread. It's made complicated in that they are a friend of the family sad always the case! Everything else is great though grin

GossipWitch Thu 01-Nov-12 09:34:11

Good morning all, I haven't been on for the last couple of days due to childrens, have needed to keep ds1 on a level due to the excitement of trick or treating, otherwise me and dp will have gone mad, now we have the excitement of bonfire night to look forward to, however I now have a plan in regards to the de-clutterings of the house, there is no chance that we will be moving until at least April, so of course with all this stuff and kids and so on I want to re-decorate the entire house before xmas, I have broken it down into rooms, and I have broken them down into areas and jobs IYSWIM, and I am starting on the living room, as it will be the cheapest room to do, (already have wallpaper and paint etc), so my jobs for today are :-

box up ornaments
put candlesticks out for scrap man
take pictures down and take out picture hooks
sort out craft drawers and move them somewhere
box my books

dp is to:-
take shelves and fire to the garage
fill any holes I make

then its on with general cleaning smile

NickNacks Thu 01-Nov-12 09:38:05

Oh no! I have some pain in the neck parents instead. Can't win!

MrsHoarder Thu 01-Nov-12 09:50:45

Can I join in? Although I have an unshinable sink (plasticy monstrosity from the previous owners, stained, paint splattered and doesn't all drain to plughole).

Consils Thu 01-Nov-12 10:11:18

I have no central heating so no way to dry clothes. The boiler is due to be serviced on Tuesday. I need to turn off the computer. And spend 4 hours on the weekly blessing hour.

swanthingafteranother Thu 01-Nov-12 10:22:13

Well, Halloween party went well...just a few guests belonging to dd.
I do find parties stressful though. blush

today I feel as I have successfully got through Christmas shock but unfortunately there is still christmas ahead.

engaged in battle with dd to clear up sweet papers this morning1
decs look great, and she was very helpful yesterday...we made some ghostly muffins, and homemade chicken nuggets.
a cold night for roaming around though, my cold/flu is worse...

GossipWitch Thu 01-Nov-12 10:54:07

Boxed things up, pictures are down and there are holes in the wall, hmm now its time for a quick tidy and then I can move things around, and out !! hoping ds1 doesn't get too affected by it.

swanthingafteranother Thu 01-Nov-12 12:05:02

Sunday is refresh your spirit day Paneer. I recommend just reading all the links at top of thread and not doing anything!

So here, am I, not doing anything...blush

oh yes, today is errand day and I did my errand of the week yesterday, which was to buy two weeks of groceries [and now there is nowhere to put them angry I knew there is a reason I never order on online...although to be honest I didn't order online, just went to shops with my car...)

So the kitchen is piled high with groceries, freezer is full and there are pomegranates bursting out all over (on special offer blush

The haunted front room remains haunted. A rather bickery morning. Ds1 is trying to do his art homework (liechenstein), dd has been putting photos into computer folders [hurrah, we've never managed that!) and ds2 has just been out to the shops to buy me some washing powder

Dh has gone off to see his new local accountant. It is not very easy to get much done with the dcs around, that's for sure, as his study is next to dcs bedrooms. He is is trying not to interfere but it is difficult when you hear bloodcurdling screams outside your door...blush

done
s & s loo
hung out washing
wiped out breakfast dishes with ds2 help
trying to keep calm grin without much success...it is sooo difficult to get everyone even dressed in this house without major fireworks..

dizzyday07 Thu 01-Nov-12 12:08:03

That's right! Whilst I'm up to my armpits in washing up and pumpkin seeds you all jump ship!

The guests have gone, DH at work and DD is still in her PJs watching Inspector Gadget. And it's quiet grin

Those who asked about Legoland - it was OK but that might be because I didn't really realise it was an amusement park that had a vague connection to Lego! We didn't get around to all the different areas and although it didn't seem to be heaving we had to queue for @30mins for the half a dozen rides we/the kids did go on (we didn't even both joining the queue that had a 75min wait) - and in all honestly they weren't really worth the effort - which was confirmed by my neice when she got off the Driving school (having queued, then they had to watch a 10min "safety" video before 5 mins in the cars!)
Although the park was open until 6pm, some of the rides closed at "dusk" which turned out to be @3.45pm. By the time we got to MiniLand which had 40million bricks made into world buildings/sights (e.g. Tower London, Space Shuttle) it was dark and there was only a few spotlights lit which meant we couldn't see much at all. Atlantis is a new underwater aquarium type ride and that was fabulous and we all enjoyed that. There was quite a lot of walking (which you would expect) but it wasn't all flat.

We all went swimming yesterday then I spent the afternoon carving pumpkins - my efforts were a Tinkerbell for DD and a Mario for my nephew. Although there aren't many houses here the kids enjoyed going Trick or Treating and the cups of blood (tomato soup) and brains (spaghetti and meatballs) went down great!

Today's list is:
* S/S x 4
* Washing load done and hung to dry
* D/W emptied (again!!!)
* Halloween decorections down
* Spare bed stripped and changed

swanthingafteranother Thu 01-Nov-12 12:15:17

Dizzy I went to Legoland one and half years ago, with three kids and by myself...it was an ordeal...grin
like you I wished I had found the Miniland first as it was so great, and I didn't really enjoy walking for hours and getting stuck in queues. And the driving school was the pits, as dd has a massive tantrum about wanting to buy a personalised driving licence afterwards (which they cunningly offered for an extra £7 angry
However, and a big however, DCs thought LEGOLAND WAS BRILLIANT and are still talking about the Viking ride (very stormy). And at least we've done it!

I've sent DH off to Legoland with the DCs today. The local NAS branch was offered tickets for all the members and their DCs, we've had them for about 6 months and they expire this week, so it was now or never and would have been silly to waste them. I'm not much of a fan of theme parks anyway.

It was very stormy here last night, thunder, torrential rain. DH was out last night and said he thinks he might have driven through or near some sort of twister it was so wild, he said he was just surrounded by flashes of lightning coming from all directions.

I'm having a rest day today, going to do some filing and a bit of dusting etc.

feetheart Thu 01-Nov-12 12:27:49

dizzy - they are amazing smile
All pumpkins sold out round here so thankfully I got out of trying to chop my fingers off with a sharp knife again smile

Run was lovely, but slow. As it was a bit later, and therefore almost light, I got to do my usual country run which I can't do on early wintery mornings as there are no street lights.
Have been working this morning and trying to keep DC occupied/away, now have to throw together picnic and meet DH in 30mins for a walk/geo-cache/sloe hunt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now