What do you use to clean your leather sofas?

(14 Posts)
DoingTheSwanThing Fri 19-Oct-12 14:30:58

My cream is now a 5yo mucky beige.
Mum used to do her cream ones with a soft nail brush, bit of soap and elbow-grease. Never seemed to do them any harm but doesn't sound like the safest option.
Any suggestions?

MicroPigInHighHeels Mon 22-Oct-12 09:23:41

I do remember watching an episode of 'How clean is your house' where Saddle Soap was used to clean someone's really manky old leather sofa. They used a nice soft cloth to rub it in & gave the leather a good buff with elbow grease too. They also used hairspray to remove biro marks from a different leather sofa - I have had to do this and it does work a treat!

Tuttutitlookslikerain Mon 22-Oct-12 12:48:06

This is what I do

You need 2 soft white cloths (face cloths or micro fibre are ideal)
2 bowls of warm water
A bar of Dove soap

Use one bowl to wet the cloth you are going to use to put the soap on with. Wet the cloth, rub the soap onto the cloth and rub into the sofa. (My sofas are brown and I go over them with a baby wipe every couple of days, I was amazed what I got off!). Use the other cloth and clean water to rinse the soap off and repeat in small patches until the sofa is clean. You will need to change the water quite often too.

It takes a while but it is worth it.

mawbroon Mon 22-Oct-12 14:01:25

Magic sponge

spottymoo Tue 23-Oct-12 16:20:41

Warm water and fairy washing up liquid brings my sofas up a treat there 5 yrs old but still look as good as new I had a leather cleaning kit with the sofas but it never cleaned them good enough

pud1 Tue 23-Oct-12 16:24:03

I use grannys soap flakes and a soft cloth. Just pour some in hot water and slosh about to make it foamy and use the foam to clean with a soft cloth.

Choufleur Tue 23-Oct-12 16:24:56

baby wipes

DoingTheSwanThing Sun 04-Nov-12 23:01:08

Thanks smile
Did it before I got any replies - with a bit of laundry liquid and a few old nappies, plus a soft brush. Figured cows are made of tough stuff, worked a treat on the really grimy bits <reminds self to do before next year>

dreamingofsun Mon 05-Nov-12 12:55:14

i use wipes that are designed for the purpose or polish - again specifically for this use. i get it either from a supermarket or lakeland. the supplier for the sofas said they needed feeding every so often with products of they could dry and crack. he recommended .....can't remember name, the company that puts those brochures through your door and delivers things once you order them????

I use the leather cleaning stuff from ikea every now and then, and baby wipes/ water and flannel for small stuff. The ikea stuff helps to keep the leather supple.

Littlemissimpatientlovesxmas Sat 10-Nov-12 07:23:03

Method do leather wipes that smell nice.
Or I use baby wipes or cloth with washing up liquid. DH will occasionally treat them with the leather care kit we got with them

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 10-Nov-12 12:12:31

Astonish do a leather cream in Savers and Homebargains.

It is really good and not tested on animals. BUAV approved etc.

NameGotLostInCyberspace Wed 14-Nov-12 22:27:18

hiphop, did you mean betterware??

MissBrown Sun 02-Dec-12 12:44:28

You can get leather spray from a cheap shop or I use spray saddle soap that I have for my tack.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now