October-fest: a fledgling (at best) might spruce up its nest (then take a rest?).

(989 Posts)
strictlycaballine Wed 26-Sep-12 10:37:01

Welcome to the October 2012 Fledgling Flyers thread. Park your mops, buckets, microfibre cloths, golden dusters and spiders-web-removing-implements here!

A huge "thank you" to Whoknows and Pushme for leading us throughout September!! (Hope you are recovering well Whoknows - take it steady!)

If your house is a mess and you are strugging with C.H.A.O.S. (can't have anyone over syndrome) and S.T.U.F.F. (something that undermines family fun) then this is the thread where we (loosely) follow the step-by-step Flylady housekeeping system (in our own, unique, relaxed style) with lots of chat, support and wine along the way.

This little-and-often system is designed so that you can follow a series of steps and routines each day (which gradually become second nature) in weekly designated zones of the house; defining and minimising housework - which in theory should leave you with more time to do other more interesting things instead! At the same time it is intended to reduce that panicky "rabbit in headlights" feeling when you are overwhelmed and everything needs doing all at once. No problem if you miss a day or two; just jump right back in and it will all come around next month again anyway!

We advise not signing up to receive the Flylady e-mails as you will be inundated! All the information you need will be linked here on a daily basis.

From the first of the month, we will be following Flylady's steps and routines using a three-pronged approach (dependent on the stage everyone is at):

- start or repeat baby steps

- repeat baby steps + do 15 mins a day decluttering in the current zone

- reinforce babysteps and do daily missions if you have finished decluttering.

[And if you are really enthusiastic and have finished decluttering - you can go on to detailed deep cleaning in each zone.]

More info here on getting started, and the flylady system here and here Don't be put off by the barf-tastic language of the site - the underlying system is sound.

All welcome!!

dizzyday07 Thu 01-Nov-12 11:32:33

Found you all have moved so heading over to November thread!

MaggotMcVitie Wed 31-Oct-12 15:38:03

[fshock]? should be shock
<mumbles about bad wine...>

MaggotMcVitie Wed 31-Oct-12 15:36:35

Oooh, not a great morning...
Went to pub quiz last night and had FAR too much wine, spent the morning in bed with tea and paracetamol while Ds's watched James Bond films (DS1's current obsession) blush

Anyway, more productive this afternoon - have washed sofa covers, made a very green Halloween cake with DS1, DS2 is playing a neighbours and have put a load of washing away. Off to get ready for Halloween party in a bit...

Swan sounds really stressful - thankfully we don't have that problem living in deepest Wales. My cousin and sis are just starting the process - both have DC's in year 5 this year.

See you all on the November [fshock] thread.

strictlycaballine Wed 31-Oct-12 14:17:47

Oh no Swan after all the effort you put in and everything! That must be so frustrating ...thank heavens you had the presence of mind to check...

Good luck with paper clutter Castlelough (think I am going to continue, er, or should that be start - this happen again in November)

Whoknows ditto with Halloween prep here. If house wasn't chaotic enough before, it certainly is now!!

Swan - offers a brew, thank goodness you did find out though and hooray for the nice lady. I bet this sort of thing happens all the time.

Castle a brew for you too, enjoy your relaxed paperwork, slow starts make a lovely change. I'm back on school run duty next week and it is going to be a major shock after 5 weeks of lie-ins.

Hallowe'en prep (low key) going on here too. We carved a pumpkin this morning and DD saved all the cut out bits and sellotaped them onto a black tee shirt in the shape of a face. She has also made a ghost out of paper and tracing paper and stuck it on the lounge window with sellotape (our house is slowly being engulfed in sellotape stickiness). DS is going to make some Hallowe'en cakes in a minute.

SC - thank you for running this thread this month, I am going to depart to the other new one now.

swanthingafteranother Wed 31-Oct-12 11:42:32

oh dear, having a nasty morning...just checked with Admissions (this is last day) about some errant email. They reassured me that they had definitely GOT my application, but suddenly came up with info that I had sent medical information to the wrong place...ie: should have been to school not the council [aargh!) because that school doesn't have same admissions policy as "council" community schools!!!! Aargh! Now they tell me. However, kind yorkshire lady (I'm in London! so that is why I am mentioning the yorkshire angle) said she would fish out info from 1000 applications and send it on to school with a note....
I could cry, honestly, why does everything have to be so complicated, and why did the school (or my primary school)not say this to me when I talked to them? Honestly Pan London Scheme is not as coordinated as it thinks it is...hmm

castlelough Wed 31-Oct-12 11:30:02

Morning everyone!
SC thank you so much for running the thread again this month, and Blue thanks for taking it on in November. smile

Slow start to my morning here (a luxury I an treasuring this week!). Did some baking last night, and am going to work on paper clutter today.
Tackling a bag of stuff from moving house (two years ago!) and going to help DH file some of his piles for the farm and pub (and that could take some time!).
Also hoping to go to school and catch up on some paperwork (so much easier during the hols, more relaxed/not rushing!)

Am quite envy envy of all the Halloween preparations some of you have going on! No dc in this house yet and no children living around! Enjoy the madness! Watermelon brains sound wonderful!!!

strictlycaballine Wed 31-Oct-12 08:48:44

Well I've woken up a bit jaded but am determined to actually get some stuff done today. Going to follow Ellie model and do chores this morning and Halloween cooking/pumpkin carving this afternoon, although I must admit that half the morning has already gone blush Am not going to stop and post chores but hopefully will be back with a ta da list later on.

Waves to Honu. Crikey, must be tough having the building works go on for such a long time. Hang in there. Don't think I could be so disciplined about 15 mins Mnset stints and well done re: body clutter!

Madwoman arf at mummies in bog roll with body parts grin

Whoknows great news at having longer than expected to recuperate and take it steady now you are Flying virtually solo again!

Toffee/Blue sorry to hear you are struggling with half-term holiday patience levels too but it is very nice to know one is not alone smile

Thanks for new thread Blue will trot over and park my bucket ....

Honu Wed 31-Oct-12 06:04:55

Am still here but self-imposed discipline of only 15 min/day on mn means only time for lurking.

Can post another body clutter pound lost - 3lb since we started. Horribly slow but at least in the right direction.

RL even more manic than usual as extension (those who have been here some time might remember we are doing this) is coming together but slowly - services for making meal (fridge, food storage, cooker, sink) now spread across 4 rooms with one small work surface by sink (doubles as draining board). No complicated cooking here.

Thanks for thread SC - will go and find new one tomorrow - 15 mins is up.

Waves to all

madwomanintheattic Wed 31-Oct-12 02:58:14

dh got the squirrel shit out. It is his chair, so he had a vested interest...

Lol at that carlsberg ad - though I suspect this one was more of a xxxx drinker. wink

I have returned from guides party where mummies were wrapped in bog roll, doughnuts eaten from string, apples bobbed, and body parts in bags felt up. They made the coolest tombstone cupcakes, too. I am about to get stuck into the <watermelon> brains, as all three ds's want one to take to school tomorrow. They are quite fun but take soooooo long, and am knackered. Anything other than squirrel do removal is off limits tonight. <eyes corners of the room warily>

Right, off to find new thread...

Evening all,

Well today was my first whole day alone with the DCs, they've either been at school, at their GPs or DH has been at home so far. We survived, in fact we had a lovely relaxed day with far too much screen time the main things is the DCs behaved and we managed to feed ourselves. The Dcs carried and unloaded all the Ocado shopping to the kitchen for me so all I had to do was put it in the cupboards. However i was tired out by this evening and they desperately want me to come out trick or treating with them tomorrow, so I am going to have to rest up more tomorrow. My parents have agreed to pop round for a bit and lend a hand.

I have to say, I may have had one or two self pitying rants on here this month, but I am so grateful for all the help the parents and inlaws have provided these last few weeks, I am very fortunate. Also very grateful for having MN, I must have spent more time on here this month than I usually do in a year. Between you lot and the prolapse thread it has been a lifesaver.

Oh and just to cheer me up even more have found out that I am signed off work for nearly a week longer than I had thought (due to my sick note starting from the day I left hospital not the surgery date plus me being part time).

Night all.

ToffeeWhirl Tue 30-Oct-12 23:54:01

Ellie - well done at maintaining your good and loving wife facade in the face of DH's feelingsorryforhimselfitis. And, seriously, I do hope your DH has good news from the GP soon. It is horrid to be worrying about that stuff.

Madwoman - can't believe you have squirrels in your sitting room! LOL at your description of your DD's face on seeing the intruders.

All those who are struggling with the half-term - same here. I'm usually reasonably patient, but seem to have run out of that quality at the moment. Today I resorted to allowing the DC endless time on the computer. DH noticed, but was wise enough not to criticise me. I think I am just feeling a bit overwhelmed. I managed some more decluttering and tidying up today, plus the usual chores, but it feels endless - and now we also have Halloween stuff scattered all over the sitting room sad. I really can't summon up any enthusiasm for it this year, but will do my best.

SC - thank you very much for running the thread so efficiently this month.

Blue - thanks for starting the new thread. Will pop over there now.

November's thread is here.

Thanks to SC for this one!

An interesting day here - messy church in the morning, which is in the city centre so did a few errands as well. Discovered that DS1's trainers were too small so managed to get some new ones in the sale. Then assumed that school shoes must also be too small, so trogged over to the factory shop, queued for hours about 20 minutes, got new shoes home to discover that they're the same size as his current ones. hmm confused Trainers must have shrunk or something!

I've also been spectacularly losing it with the boys in the last couple of days. I really need to learn some effective anger management techniques fast!! blush

Hey ho.

SC When I'm working I try to intersperse housework with computer work so as not to get too bored with either. It also forces me to take a screen break and move around a bit!

Ellie - hope everyone is feeling better tomorrow.

madwoman - shock at squirrels!!

Big waves to everyone else. Will post link to new thread in a mo.

strictlycaballine Tue 30-Oct-12 20:08:29

xpost

Ellie thanks for time tactics - much appreciated. Thinking about it, it is much more realistic for everyone concerned to do half a day of one and half a day of the other. I always intend to do a full day's cleaning and fail miserably! Here's a little wine to ease the nursing duties and arf at goat-walking!

strictlycaballine Tue 30-Oct-12 20:01:44

I am in the middle of doing all the laundry which I should have washed during the past three days ready for fortnightly ironing lady tomorrow. Apart from cooking uninspiring supper and playing 3 more games of Battle Ships - have achieved very little. This is the template we are using if anyone is interested DD is obsessed atm.

Swan Think I will try Halloween pumpkin carving solution with dd tomorrow to alleviate boredom. Your dd and mine sound very similar in character - right down to grey pallor(!) -Hope your ds2 enjoys his party tomorrow and that you feel better soon. And well done to your ds1!

Maggot a good stomp in wood with crusty loaves followed by a bit of horse husbandry sounds like my perfect day!

Take it steady Issima and hope the blues aren't too severe. Things can look quite gloomy at this time of year.

Engels You sound v. organised and on top of things and good luck with the writing!

Huge wing flaps to Trazzles Carpe Gossip¨ Bitchy PA honu Justgettingonwithit OFM Pushme Shifty Dizzy Whoknows Feetheart Ellie Sowornout Toffee Nettie Linzer Arses Thatsnice Castlelough Lauren whoknows Blue and everyone else I've inevitably missed!!

Right, going to post [drum roll] very last baby step of the month plus other links - now that dh is home and keeping dd entertained, I can finally go and get some chores done!

************************************************************************************************************

Well done for getting through another month everyone!

This applies in particular to Trazzles and her lovely ds and their family - all of whom are still very much in our thoughts.

Baby-step, no. 31 for Wed 31 Oct - the very last baby step of the month - is here to keep Flying and be reassured that you don't have to understand the whole of the system at the beginning - it will become clear as you go along!

Wednesday we will our last day in Zone 5: The living room here

NB newcomers - we will be starting in Zone 1 again on Thursday!

Try and declutter for 15 mins per day in the current zone. Once decluttered, you can go on to detailed cleaning

Also, don't forget your super fling boogie in this zone this week in preparation for the Christmas holidays!

Wednesday's mission is: here 15 mins removing jackets, shoes, laundry baskets from sitting room

The daily focus for Wednesday is: anti-procrastination day do all those horrible things you have been dreading

The habit for October is: getting rid of paper clutter here Try and shred/recycle/jettison papers you no longer need, 15 mins per day.

If I've missed anything, have a look at Wednesday's flight plan which should update with date.

************************************************************************************************************

elliepac Tue 30-Oct-12 19:51:51

Evening all!

Lovely, if rather chilly, afternoon at the farm park complete with goat walking/chasing. Have taken dd swimming but ds declined to join us because he had cba (he takes after his mother wink, I tried desperately to persuade dd she didn't want to go but she was having none of it) and then a pootle round sainsbo's to buy some ingredients for halloween baking tomorrow. Dinner is in the oven, DD in bed, DS watching a dvd, and DH playing his xbox feeling sorry for himself. Thanks for the sympathy, swan and others, I am trying really hard to feel sorry for him/look after him but failing a little bit somewhere along the line....to his face I am the loving wife personified, in my head it is something a little different winkgrin. Bad wife me grin.

issima see, I told you I was a lazy chops, straight away lauren comes in and makes me look crap grin.

sc and swan DS (9) has been a pita as well which is weird because it is normally DD. Doesn't want to do anything apart from sit in front of a screen and is doing my head in. I have planned some baking and crafty stuff tomorrow so hopefully he may cheer up.

sc my time division tactic is actually quite simple (and don't worry half 5 was an anomaly, DH was up to go to work and wanted to check he was OK). I know for a fact I am a morning person and am much more productive of a morning and more likely to achieve stuff. I also know DC's are more malleable in the mornings and more likely to amuse themselves nicely. So, when at home, I allocate mornings for doing housework stuff and afternoon's for more fun stuff. I would get bored if I spent all day doing housework grin.

madwoman how's the squirrel shit? (I am definitely NOT grinning at this grin)

Engelsemama Tue 30-Oct-12 18:03:03

swan the problem with DS is he’s old enough to want to go everywhere (he’s 12mo and been walking for a month and he’s really fast!) but not old enough yet to understand me when I tell him not to go somewhere!

dizzy I would have mini-roll rage <Grrr emoticon>

whoknows I have never been involved in a bridezilla wedding. My Dsis was very “do what you want”. Did you see that recent email that went viral sent by a scary American bride?

<waves to chairmum > I’m a fledgling veteran of 5 months!

A squirrel madwoman ?! shock

<waves at sc, toffee, blue, maggot (hallowe’en inspired nc?), lauren, issimma, ellie, castle, just, bitchy and anyone else floating around >

Haven’t achieved a great deal today as was working, but kitchen left tidy, washingup done, lunch made for tomorrow.

Going to plan some more of my novel tonight – nanowrimo starts on Thursday!

swanthingafteranother Tue 30-Oct-12 17:51:04

if it's any comfort SC dd has behaved appallingly this morning, and yest eve, and yes, it is because she is thoroughly bored...her face is grey with boredom, despite being given numerous ideas of what to do...friends is the oxygen she requires to breathe grinsad, and most seem to have departed for a bit of Autumn sun...
However she cheered up this afternoon when dh took her out to buy two pumpkins, carved them with her, stockpiled three gallons of sweets for trick or treaters and when she had draped some cobwebs over the sitting room! Also short walk with neighbour's dog was a success, she was enthusiastic and happy with an animal friend wink at least...

Ds2 has been behaving beautifully, he has been soul of politesse. Ds1 lolling somewhat but seems in good spirits - they played football this morning (although also friendless atm...he went out today, bumped into someone he knew at busstop and returned home to mention this...so did you invite him round or ask him where he going? No, I didn't think of that confused Hope he enjoys seeing some 10 year olds at party tomorrow [sigh]

Ellie poor dh, and poor you, to deal with poorly one when you are meant to be having a break sad

done
tidied kitchen
recycling nearly out
exercise for all
otherwise a bit ill...have retired to bed...

issimma Tue 30-Oct-12 17:34:36

I wiped the skirting boards downstairs [severe nesting emotion]. shock

Room of the day is kitchen. I cleared a load of clutter from the window sill. I had thought it was a nice display, but realised it was just dustcatching. Have one vase with three big fake flowers in it left. Have also done the same with my arty haha stuff on the hall table. It now has one bowl of those rattan pongy balls.

Did chores in town and found some charity shop bargains grin, washed and dried some clothes, and had a nap. Good day all round. Am trying to count my blessings - I'm aware there are many but somehow the baby blues seems to be starting early. I blame winter. And hormones.

MaggotMcVitie Tue 30-Oct-12 17:21:47

shock at madwoman's squirrels!

A fairly good day here, got out for most of the afternoon. took crusty loaf and sanwich fillings to my Mum's for lunch then went for a good stomp in the woods afterwards. Then up to friends stables to help/learn - she's going away for the week next week and has entrusted evening feeds to me grin
Will be pretending they are mine all week blush

Other jobs done..
Library
Docs to book flu jabs for DH and DS2
Walk dog (and DS's)
Buy pumpkins - NONE LEFT shock
Do something cosy with DS's -game/jigsaw
Cook dinner

strictlycaballine Tue 30-Oct-12 16:53:20

Afternoon everyone. Hope you are all OK. Lots of intriguing er, wildlife talk I see ....

Struggling to get stuff DONE here. Still have rotten colds. Went to gynaecologist's appt this morning and had to wait for ages which ate up the morning. There was a bit of light relief though: just as I was undressing, I remembered the 30 cm cartoon of "girl with pigtails" that dd had drawn on my lower leg in some purple and green "tattoo pens" she'd received in a party bag last week - which still hasn't come off despite daily scrubbings in the bath! Kept the gyn/ob amused anyway ... grin

DD bored at gynaecologist's (although to do her justice, she behaved very well)/bored at art exhibition afterwards/bored now at home... We had lots of games yesterday but we'd agreed that today was our "hwk/chore day" so that we can have an almost "total" fun day again tomorrow. She however is not cooperating and is making her displeasure known!

Sounds ridiculous with just one dd, but I'm finding the holidays increasingly challenging when all her friends are away. I am trying to persuade her (having reminded her about the 10 unfinished projects in the art trunk/reminded her about hwk/explained several other reasonably fun tasks that she could help me with) ... that "boredom stimulates creativity"! She is not convinced ...

Anyway, enough of my inconsequential musings grin what have you all been up to? Putting me to shame on the Flying front I imagine... All this talk of cleaning radiators and skirting boards is making me feel worried!! ...

Castlelough well done for getting everything done on time! Nothing like guests to provide the motivation kick up the rear one needs!! grin I always swear to myself that I will be more organised and that the next family/friend visit will not necessitate running around like a blue-arsed fly at the last minute -but I somehow never ever, manage it!!

Elliepac sorry your dh is unwell. Hope he recovers soon and the xray tests come out positively. well done re: clothes purge. I have noticed that you always seem to manage your time really well ie have a good balance of fun stuff v. chore stuff. Got any tips for someone who is totally useless at this? [Oh I just see you got up at 5.30 am ... in the holidays ... I think er, there's a distinct possibility that that's where I am going wrong!!]

Maggot (love the Halloween nickname btw!! grin) Sympathies over virus thing - we all have something rather odd here - nowhere near as bad as flu but worse than ordinary cold and it's dragging on .... Well done for taking it slow and steady ...

Chairmum funnily enough - the only times we haven't been troubled by mice (old town house) is when we've had resident guinea pigs and rabbits. You'd think it owuld be the other way around what with bags of hay and feed about.. but maybe our local mice don't like the strange smell of domesticated furries ... Can't think of any other explanation ... Hope you had fun in park.

Issima on the odd rare occasion they get done, I hoover skirting boards first with thin attachment thing on end of hoover nozzle and then wipe with damp cloth. Radiators are more problematic because we have those old 'Edwardian' metal ones which require loads of probing with special radiator dusting implements such as this and this It's a real fag actually.

Lauren envy as usual, at horsey afternoon ...!! Hope hooves still sound ... Horse management must be getting more challenging now the days are shorter. Thanks for reminder about hyacinth planting btw. DD would really enjoy that!

Madwoman grin grin Sorry! But had to cackle at "How do you get squirrel shit out of upholstery, then, fledglings?" [Awards madwoman best house-keeping question of the year award!!) It hadn't been drinking Carlsbourg had it? Sorry - no experience with carving watermelon brains either grin

Toffee love the scary orange pumpkin idea - will do that one too!!

Huge wing flaps to eveyrone else! BBL!

castlelough Tue 30-Oct-12 15:06:55

Crisis cleaning of kitchen/diner/sitting room and bathroom done. Just in time too - guests arriving shortly! smile

<vows not to do this to self again and improve at my flying....>

elliepac Tue 30-Oct-12 09:27:26

Oh and

Ta da:-
Washing x 2
Dryer on
Dd's room sorted
Dc's and I dressed
Car tidied out.

Have also had a purge of Dd's clothes. She has more than the rest of us put together and now she is at school simply doesn't need that many so I have bagged a load for charity shops and now everything fits in her drawers.

Old work colleague/friend has rung this morning and we are now going to a local farm park this afternoon. Sod the tidying, have done 3 rooms in 4 days so not bad goinggrin.

Am going out soon to pop into town, get a few bits and bobs and maybe have lunch. Back soon!

issimma Tue 30-Oct-12 09:25:30

Will give it a go! I do wipe the radiators, door handles and tops of doors, but I'm worried if I get down to do the skirting, I may not get up again!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now