October-fest: a fledgling (at best) might spruce up its nest (then take a rest?).

(989 Posts)
strictlycaballine Wed 26-Sep-12 10:37:01

Welcome to the October 2012 Fledgling Flyers thread. Park your mops, buckets, microfibre cloths, golden dusters and spiders-web-removing-implements here!

A huge "thank you" to Whoknows and Pushme for leading us throughout September!! (Hope you are recovering well Whoknows - take it steady!)

If your house is a mess and you are strugging with C.H.A.O.S. (can't have anyone over syndrome) and S.T.U.F.F. (something that undermines family fun) then this is the thread where we (loosely) follow the step-by-step Flylady housekeeping system (in our own, unique, relaxed style) with lots of chat, support and wine along the way.

This little-and-often system is designed so that you can follow a series of steps and routines each day (which gradually become second nature) in weekly designated zones of the house; defining and minimising housework - which in theory should leave you with more time to do other more interesting things instead! At the same time it is intended to reduce that panicky "rabbit in headlights" feeling when you are overwhelmed and everything needs doing all at once. No problem if you miss a day or two; just jump right back in and it will all come around next month again anyway!

We advise not signing up to receive the Flylady e-mails as you will be inundated! All the information you need will be linked here on a daily basis.

From the first of the month, we will be following Flylady's steps and routines using a three-pronged approach (dependent on the stage everyone is at):

- start or repeat baby steps

- repeat baby steps + do 15 mins a day decluttering in the current zone

- reinforce babysteps and do daily missions if you have finished decluttering.

[And if you are really enthusiastic and have finished decluttering - you can go on to detailed deep cleaning in each zone.]

More info here on getting started, and the flylady system here and here Don't be put off by the barf-tastic language of the site - the underlying system is sound.

All welcome!!

An interesting day here - messy church in the morning, which is in the city centre so did a few errands as well. Discovered that DS1's trainers were too small so managed to get some new ones in the sale. Then assumed that school shoes must also be too small, so trogged over to the factory shop, queued for hours about 20 minutes, got new shoes home to discover that they're the same size as his current ones. hmm confused Trainers must have shrunk or something!

I've also been spectacularly losing it with the boys in the last couple of days. I really need to learn some effective anger management techniques fast!! blush

Hey ho.

SC When I'm working I try to intersperse housework with computer work so as not to get too bored with either. It also forces me to take a screen break and move around a bit!

Ellie - hope everyone is feeling better tomorrow.

madwoman - shock at squirrels!!

Big waves to everyone else. Will post link to new thread in a mo.

November's thread is here.

Thanks to SC for this one!

ToffeeWhirl Tue 30-Oct-12 23:54:01

Ellie - well done at maintaining your good and loving wife facade in the face of DH's feelingsorryforhimselfitis. And, seriously, I do hope your DH has good news from the GP soon. It is horrid to be worrying about that stuff.

Madwoman - can't believe you have squirrels in your sitting room! LOL at your description of your DD's face on seeing the intruders.

All those who are struggling with the half-term - same here. I'm usually reasonably patient, but seem to have run out of that quality at the moment. Today I resorted to allowing the DC endless time on the computer. DH noticed, but was wise enough not to criticise me. I think I am just feeling a bit overwhelmed. I managed some more decluttering and tidying up today, plus the usual chores, but it feels endless - and now we also have Halloween stuff scattered all over the sitting room sad. I really can't summon up any enthusiasm for it this year, but will do my best.

SC - thank you very much for running the thread so efficiently this month.

Blue - thanks for starting the new thread. Will pop over there now.

Evening all,

Well today was my first whole day alone with the DCs, they've either been at school, at their GPs or DH has been at home so far. We survived, in fact we had a lovely relaxed day with far too much screen time the main things is the DCs behaved and we managed to feed ourselves. The Dcs carried and unloaded all the Ocado shopping to the kitchen for me so all I had to do was put it in the cupboards. However i was tired out by this evening and they desperately want me to come out trick or treating with them tomorrow, so I am going to have to rest up more tomorrow. My parents have agreed to pop round for a bit and lend a hand.

I have to say, I may have had one or two self pitying rants on here this month, but I am so grateful for all the help the parents and inlaws have provided these last few weeks, I am very fortunate. Also very grateful for having MN, I must have spent more time on here this month than I usually do in a year. Between you lot and the prolapse thread it has been a lifesaver.

Oh and just to cheer me up even more have found out that I am signed off work for nearly a week longer than I had thought (due to my sick note starting from the day I left hospital not the surgery date plus me being part time).

Night all.

madwomanintheattic Wed 31-Oct-12 02:58:14

dh got the squirrel shit out. It is his chair, so he had a vested interest...

Lol at that carlsberg ad - though I suspect this one was more of a xxxx drinker. wink

I have returned from guides party where mummies were wrapped in bog roll, doughnuts eaten from string, apples bobbed, and body parts in bags felt up. They made the coolest tombstone cupcakes, too. I am about to get stuck into the <watermelon> brains, as all three ds's want one to take to school tomorrow. They are quite fun but take soooooo long, and am knackered. Anything other than squirrel do removal is off limits tonight. <eyes corners of the room warily>

Right, off to find new thread...

Honu Wed 31-Oct-12 06:04:55

Am still here but self-imposed discipline of only 15 min/day on mn means only time for lurking.

Can post another body clutter pound lost - 3lb since we started. Horribly slow but at least in the right direction.

RL even more manic than usual as extension (those who have been here some time might remember we are doing this) is coming together but slowly - services for making meal (fridge, food storage, cooker, sink) now spread across 4 rooms with one small work surface by sink (doubles as draining board). No complicated cooking here.

Thanks for thread SC - will go and find new one tomorrow - 15 mins is up.

Waves to all

strictlycaballine Wed 31-Oct-12 08:48:44

Well I've woken up a bit jaded but am determined to actually get some stuff done today. Going to follow Ellie model and do chores this morning and Halloween cooking/pumpkin carving this afternoon, although I must admit that half the morning has already gone blush Am not going to stop and post chores but hopefully will be back with a ta da list later on.

Waves to Honu. Crikey, must be tough having the building works go on for such a long time. Hang in there. Don't think I could be so disciplined about 15 mins Mnset stints and well done re: body clutter!

Madwoman arf at mummies in bog roll with body parts grin

Whoknows great news at having longer than expected to recuperate and take it steady now you are Flying virtually solo again!

Toffee/Blue sorry to hear you are struggling with half-term holiday patience levels too but it is very nice to know one is not alone smile

Thanks for new thread Blue will trot over and park my bucket ....

castlelough Wed 31-Oct-12 11:30:02

Morning everyone!
SC thank you so much for running the thread again this month, and Blue thanks for taking it on in November. smile

Slow start to my morning here (a luxury I an treasuring this week!). Did some baking last night, and am going to work on paper clutter today.
Tackling a bag of stuff from moving house (two years ago!) and going to help DH file some of his piles for the farm and pub (and that could take some time!).
Also hoping to go to school and catch up on some paperwork (so much easier during the hols, more relaxed/not rushing!)

Am quite envy envy of all the Halloween preparations some of you have going on! No dc in this house yet and no children living around! Enjoy the madness! Watermelon brains sound wonderful!!!

swanthingafteranother Wed 31-Oct-12 11:42:32

oh dear, having a nasty morning...just checked with Admissions (this is last day) about some errant email. They reassured me that they had definitely GOT my application, but suddenly came up with info that I had sent medical information to the wrong place...ie: should have been to school not the council [aargh!) because that school doesn't have same admissions policy as "council" community schools!!!! Aargh! Now they tell me. However, kind yorkshire lady (I'm in London! so that is why I am mentioning the yorkshire angle) said she would fish out info from 1000 applications and send it on to school with a note....
I could cry, honestly, why does everything have to be so complicated, and why did the school (or my primary school)not say this to me when I talked to them? Honestly Pan London Scheme is not as coordinated as it thinks it is...hmm

Swan - offers a brew, thank goodness you did find out though and hooray for the nice lady. I bet this sort of thing happens all the time.

Castle a brew for you too, enjoy your relaxed paperwork, slow starts make a lovely change. I'm back on school run duty next week and it is going to be a major shock after 5 weeks of lie-ins.

Hallowe'en prep (low key) going on here too. We carved a pumpkin this morning and DD saved all the cut out bits and sellotaped them onto a black tee shirt in the shape of a face. She has also made a ghost out of paper and tracing paper and stuck it on the lounge window with sellotape (our house is slowly being engulfed in sellotape stickiness). DS is going to make some Hallowe'en cakes in a minute.

SC - thank you for running this thread this month, I am going to depart to the other new one now.

strictlycaballine Wed 31-Oct-12 14:17:47

Oh no Swan after all the effort you put in and everything! That must be so frustrating ...thank heavens you had the presence of mind to check...

Good luck with paper clutter Castlelough (think I am going to continue, er, or should that be start - this happen again in November)

Whoknows ditto with Halloween prep here. If house wasn't chaotic enough before, it certainly is now!!

MaggotMcVitie Wed 31-Oct-12 15:36:35

Oooh, not a great morning...
Went to pub quiz last night and had FAR too much wine, spent the morning in bed with tea and paracetamol while Ds's watched James Bond films (DS1's current obsession) blush

Anyway, more productive this afternoon - have washed sofa covers, made a very green Halloween cake with DS1, DS2 is playing a neighbours and have put a load of washing away. Off to get ready for Halloween party in a bit...

Swan sounds really stressful - thankfully we don't have that problem living in deepest Wales. My cousin and sis are just starting the process - both have DC's in year 5 this year.

See you all on the November [fshock] thread.

MaggotMcVitie Wed 31-Oct-12 15:38:03

[fshock]? should be shock
<mumbles about bad wine...>

dizzyday07 Thu 01-Nov-12 11:32:33

Found you all have moved so heading over to November thread!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now