October-fest: a fledgling (at best) might spruce up its nest (then take a rest?).

(989 Posts)
strictlycaballine Wed 26-Sep-12 10:37:01

Welcome to the October 2012 Fledgling Flyers thread. Park your mops, buckets, microfibre cloths, golden dusters and spiders-web-removing-implements here!

A huge "thank you" to Whoknows and Pushme for leading us throughout September!! (Hope you are recovering well Whoknows - take it steady!)

If your house is a mess and you are strugging with C.H.A.O.S. (can't have anyone over syndrome) and S.T.U.F.F. (something that undermines family fun) then this is the thread where we (loosely) follow the step-by-step Flylady housekeeping system (in our own, unique, relaxed style) with lots of chat, support and wine along the way.

This little-and-often system is designed so that you can follow a series of steps and routines each day (which gradually become second nature) in weekly designated zones of the house; defining and minimising housework - which in theory should leave you with more time to do other more interesting things instead! At the same time it is intended to reduce that panicky "rabbit in headlights" feeling when you are overwhelmed and everything needs doing all at once. No problem if you miss a day or two; just jump right back in and it will all come around next month again anyway!

We advise not signing up to receive the Flylady e-mails as you will be inundated! All the information you need will be linked here on a daily basis.

From the first of the month, we will be following Flylady's steps and routines using a three-pronged approach (dependent on the stage everyone is at):

- start or repeat baby steps

- repeat baby steps + do 15 mins a day decluttering in the current zone

- reinforce babysteps and do daily missions if you have finished decluttering.

[And if you are really enthusiastic and have finished decluttering - you can go on to detailed deep cleaning in each zone.]

More info here on getting started, and the flylady system here and here Don't be put off by the barf-tastic language of the site - the underlying system is sound.

All welcome!!

laurenamium Sun 30-Sep-12 22:02:38

<staggers in clutching muscles she forgot she had>

Just wanted to apologies for going AWOL again blush have also spent the weekend with horses and a 9 mile ride on a naughty horse on Saturday has made me ache like I've never ached before!

I'll be back tomorrow full of motivation I'm sure grin

strictlycaballine Sun 30-Sep-12 22:31:37

sympathies Lauren ate my supper off the mantelpiece this evening having ridden a very wide weight-bearing cob all day! Not for 9 miles though I hasten to add!!

Jamillalliamilli Sun 30-Sep-12 23:50:17

Well I didn't manage to watch Downton abbey and listened to friend instead and fought unsuccessfully to banish imaginary skate sled designs, so thanks Bitchy for 'renewing my spirit* when I failed to. grin

S/c An embarrassed thanks. Polishes award and promises not to lose it like everything else blush in the clutter.

Trying not to laugh at enforced mantelpiece dining!
Right, one min to get to bed, before this thread involves working! Night all.

Mymumsdaughter Mon 01-Oct-12 00:02:08

Just popping in to say thanks everyone for last months and for this months

Just signing in for October. Sorry I have been absent for the last week or so. Been more than a little poorly here and seriously thought I was dying of malaria for some time, but I am still here!! shock Feeling very wrung out and have no energy at all. <Helped the weight-loss, though - I can now comfortably wear the trousers I bought out in the hope that I could wear them home next June!! smile >
House looks absolutely awful. I need to do a major floor scrubbing as soon as I feel well enough. DH has kept up with the washing pile, bless him, but the ironing, sorting and putting away has not happened so it is all in a massive pile waiting for me. I will see what energy I have today.

Sorry for lack of personals, but just have to say Whoknows hope you are doing ok, take it easy!!

dizzyday07 Mon 01-Oct-12 01:29:31

Signing in here too. As I've decided that the 1st of the month (and a Monday too) sounds like a good start to getting back on the weight-loss flight too, I best stop munching my way through this packet of biscuits and go to bed!
blush

Not sure how it ended up being nearly 2:30am. I swear the last hour evaporated or something!!!!!!! as did the box of chocolates that was opened earlier hmm

Right sleep and tomo i need to:
tumble washing just put in washer
finish off projects 2, 3 and 4
find an old project
sort out all bits for meeting 1
sort out stuff for meeting 2
attend said meetings
sort out stuff for meeting 3
send off job application
sort out training kit
Early night

It looks achievable until you see the list of bits for each meeting. I am NOT thinking about it now. I am going to sleep. Tomo is a new day, a new month and a new diet hmm That corner over there -------> i'll be hiding in it by the end of the week!

crunchingautumnleaves Mon 01-Oct-12 04:49:39

Hello all (waves enthusiastically). Bit new round here and would love to join in. Been semi following these wonderful threads for ages. thanks for you all for introducing me to Flylady and HomeRoutines app. My home has definitely improved, though there's far to go still I'm not living in CHAOS, I'm just choosy about who I have round grin. Decided you wonderful people will help me stay motivated may be shamed into doing something as I'll feel I have to check in each day. Btw, impressed at all the horse riders here! Would love to if not quite so intimidated by them plus the memory of that pony trek... Never get out of sync so you go down as the horse goes up blush grin.

crunchingautumnleaves Mon 01-Oct-12 06:05:24

Oh and loving the title strictly. Tis a good 'un.

feetheart Mon 01-Oct-12 06:15:17

Happy Monday everyone.
I'm up, I'm determined, I've already printed and laminated stuff for our Autumn Fayre (which is next Sunday - eek!) and sorted out stuff to take into school for classes to make tea-towels. Good start but now need a list smile
- Bath
- All up and out with bags/lunches/books/etc
- Hang rest of posters/banners
- Copy lots more posters and distribute
- WORK - contract invoices and lots of random stuff
- Morning routine PROPERLY
- Hoover downstairs/stairs
- Mission
- Look at paperwork decluttering hints and tips
- Homework
- Ironing

PA - so sorry you have been ill, that must be really hard in such a different country. Hope it didn't make you too homesick as well? Sending you strong 'get better soon' vibes from dark, rainy Bedfordshire.

Bitchy - thanks for last month even if I was absent for most of it hmm

SC - thanks for taking on this month. Hope you could sit down for breakfast?

Right, letter to write for new parents then bath........

CarpeJugulum Mon 01-Oct-12 06:45:50

Good morning. Happy 1st! smile

Up and coffee is switched on. Letting DH shower so he gets some play time with DS (who is now up and lookin better from his cold).

Some work done already.

Usual routine for the morning plus I need to:
Meal plan
Wash bath mats
Hoover stairs
Maybe go food shopping depending on meal plan.
Work out how to do the Shred DVD during the day!

Oh. And start the healthy eating - it's not a diet!

Am also planning to pull out all the info from the Christmas fly thread and bung it into Word. Happy to email it on if people want it!

<leaves brew on bar for those in need>

MercuryRising Mon 01-Oct-12 07:29:38

Hi I really need to join you all. I did Shine 2012 on Saturday and was out of the house all weekend, during that time a tornado (dh and dc) turned my house upside down! I also need to do some major decluttering before Christmas - I can't believe how soon it is! The promise of lots of wine is also very appealing. I look forward to getting to know you all better and no longer living with Chaos grin

Hi ladies, I'm back to try again - would love to get through the whole month (but always seem to drop outblush). Will post list later...

Morning all,

I am trying to surpress giggles at the image of enforced eating off the mantelpiece, so as not to rupture my stitches. I am very definitely in the can't sit down club too. Obviously no Flying to report here, DH is keeping things ticking over but he's got a lot on his plate with me laid up. Welcome to Crunching and Notquite, thanks to PMPY for taking over last month and to SC for leading this month.

PA sorry you've been so ill.
PMPY - sorry to hear about WM, what a pain.

I love the beginning of the Flying month when everyone reappears and we all resolve to start over.

crunchingautumnleaves Mon 01-Oct-12 07:48:38

Oh bother, my decluttering plans may have to be postponed a while. Just spotted little flour mite type things in the kitchen sad. I really really dislike the creatures! And I so dislike the smell of bleach but it's the only thing I've read to deal with them.

strictlycaballine Mon 01-Oct-12 07:52:50

Morning all!

Good to see everyone bright and enthusiastic on day one (and all this talk of lamination, Words docs and housekeeping apps v. impressive). I am aiming to do steps and missions and decluttering consistently this month and am starting on the body clutter properly today.

And now I know how all of dd's extra-curricular activities are panning out - have also written myself out a proper timetable for my cj - a full days of the week/time slot job. It really helps with structuring my day seeing how much time I am wasting making the most of the time available.

A very warm welcome to Crunchingautumnleaves great that the system has started to work for you - you will get loads of support on here to take it further. (My brother had one of those pony trek experiences - on an evil nag called 'High Jinks' no less - the reason for which soon became clear as he disappeared up a Scottish mountain in a cloud of dust - he has never gone near a horse since grin)

Oh no PA I hope you are OK and have access to a good doc/medical care where you are. Take it steady and look after yourself x

Bitchy All I am going to say is [looking sternly over pince-nez] "baby-step 17" wink grin

Justgettingonwithit grin [hands over microfibre polishing cloth

Feetheart good luck with Autumn Fayre prep - that came around fast again
didn't it?

Huge wing flaps to Whoknows Ellie Swan Mymums Dizzy Lauren Honu Castlelough MrsOnatopp Mc Rowingboat Engelse Blue Notquiteperfect and everyone else!

To do:
finish morning routine inc dw, wm, s&s
hang out dark blue wash
put on yellow/grey wash
home bleugh downstairs
rabbit fur treatment
separate rabbits for day sad
rabbit cages X 2
ironing for rest of week
wasp man
prep ballet stuff for dd tonight
art course [wibble emoticon]

Have a great start to the week everyone!

TheHeirOfSlytherin Mon 01-Oct-12 07:54:26

Cam I join you? October is my month to change everything I don't like about my life and the constant messiness of the house is one of those things!

Tonight's focus will be he kitchen. I just want the surfaces and floor clear so I can actually clean them!!! grin

strictlycaballine Mon 01-Oct-12 07:58:30

xposts

Whoknows [plumps up cushions in recovery corner] glad to hear you are taking it easy thanks Yes, I do love a shiny new thread too ..full of possibilities!! Am grimly determined this month for once wink

Great to see you again Maggie

A very warm welcome to MercuryRising I am with you on the pre-Christmas decluttering! It's frightening how much I have to do before then - little and often is definitely the way to go!

Forgot to wave to Carpe Glad your ds is feeling better!

Right, off to re-shine my sink ...

strictlycaballine Mon 01-Oct-12 08:06:28

xpost

A warm fledgling welcome also to TheheirofSlytherin (great nickname btw)! Amen to banishing kitchen clutter if only dh would organise his spice and condiment collection

Recap for newcomers: here is today's flight plan
Day one = baby-step 1 (shining sink)
Zone 1 = entrance, porch, dining room (do 15 mins decluttering or anything really in one of these areas every day)
If you feel up to it: do a daily home blessing (one hour only)
And if you are really feeling energetic - spend 15 mins getting rid of paper clutter

(see my post of 21.02.45 from last night for more details)

Have a good morning everyone!

Oh shit babystep 17. My nemesis. I have an excuse though was prepping for major meeting this morning. I gave up in the end should have done another 4 hours to be ready. though fuck it. In PANIC mode this morning. And ds is playing up a bit. sad

Engelsemama Mon 01-Oct-12 09:02:40

Glad you had a good time sc. I have very limited experience of Belgium (apart from a few nights in Brussels as a student backpacker) but the main thing I associate it with is TRAFFIC JAMS! Every time we head back and forth between NL and the UK we always end up stuck round either Antwerp, gent or Brugge.

I WILL have time for decluttering today as shortly our electricity is going off for 4 hours – so no TV, computer (laptop will only last for 20 mins on battery…hence frantic MNing grin ). DS has a medical appt for vaccinations at 11.30 so will head out for that. Can’t go into town for my errands earlier (as I would like to) as Most shops here don’t open till 1pm (thought he bigger dept stores are open at 11am). Welcome to Holland in the 21st century…..

DS birthday coming up this month so house will be full of visiting relatives and friends on at least 2 occasions – need to get the house in order (good practice for Christmas!). Dutch cleaning standards (or at least my ILs) seem to be MUCH higher than my own family so I must get cracking!

laurenamium Mon 01-Oct-12 09:06:51

Morning all, just a list dump while the children finish snack...I'll catch up later smile

To do:
DD and mindee to playgroup
Home bleugh
Wash DD bedding- washing
Wash my bedding
My laundry away
DD laundry away
Walk dogs
Write shopping list
Food shop
Clean out fridge
Pay council tax
Pay bills
Buy printer ink
Clean kitchen floor
Routines
Locate sandpaper from garage
Clean out tumble dryer condenser
Brush dogs
Dog poo
Shine sink
Shred

BBL!

Engelsemama Mon 01-Oct-12 09:14:20

List for today

DS vacc
Errands in town - birthday party supplies, DSis's present
Hoover downstairs
Tidy downstairs hallway
Tidy upstairs hallway
bag up teen fiction books and put in car - donating to school library tomorrow!
15 mins decluttering hotspot (lounge table)
washing up
washing out of td and away
empty recycling bin
evites - waiting for DH MUST DO TONIGHT!
Mission
Shred this eve while DH is at gym

ToffeeWhirl Mon 01-Oct-12 10:23:42

Morning everyone. Welcome to the newbies.

PA - so sorry you've been poorly. I hope you get better soon. It must be awful to be ill when you are so far from home. Well done to your DH for keeping up with the washing pile!

WhoKnows - good to hear you are still being sensible and taking it easy.

Started with a clean kitchen this morning grin. DS1 has a new tutor (for Maths, you'll be relieved to hear, Honu) this morning and that was incentive enough to tidy up the areas she would see. So all the piles of clean washing were whisked upstairs, washing up done (and put away), surfaces cleared and wiped, floors swept and mopped.

Off to eat breakfast now, whilst I have an hour to myself (tutor is here now).

NickNacks Mon 01-Oct-12 10:31:50

Quick list

Wash on
Call repair man
Mindee to pre school
Clean washing away
Hoover
Clean kitchen
Dry towels
S and s
Sort rubbish out
Write invoices
Give out invoices
Write receipts

Maybe more to add but can't think right now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now