It's September so the Fledgings Fly, as we wave our clutter bye bye

(806 Posts)

Welcome to the ongoing Fledgling Flyers thread for September, thanks to Bitchy who kept us posted through August.

<cuts and pastes>

Right, most of you should know how this works. It's a three pronged attack.
Phase one: The babysteps master these and you will be working like clockwork.
Phase two: Adding in Decluttering this will help you keep on top of the amount of stuff contributing to CHAOS.
Phase three: Missions Targeted activities to keep the chaos at bay and starting the deep cleaning.

The golden duster of Flying is stage 4: deep cleaning. This is for most me anyway, somewhat unrealistic and in theory you don't need to worry about it until you have finished decluttering that's never then. Just do it if you want to.

Now for those of you who are completely lost, lets rewind a bit.
CHAOS: Can't have anyone over syndrome. We've all been there

The fly lady approach works by breaking the house down into tiny activities which you do repeatedly until they become habit and don't feel like chores any more. The house is split into zones, each zone is tackled for a week before moving on and comes round again at the start of the next month.

There are lots of experienced Fledglings on here, hence lots of advice and support and chat about anything except housework some days. the main thing is that you can post any time you like even if you haven't lifted a finger around the house that day because with Flylady you just pick up again the next day and off you go again.

We advise against signing up for Flylady emails as they can lead to a great deal of clutter in the Inbox, each days steps will be posted on this thread to save you having to find them yourself.

In the meantime here is a link to the Flylady website for anyone who would like a browse.

Getting started Remember - don't subscribe to the emails!

I need to post tomorrow's links early as we are going to be out late, and out again early in the morning.

So, here we go:

Babystep for the first day of the month we are going to start shining our sinks. Despite 3 years here I still sometimes lapse from this one, so it's good to be reminded again every month.

There's no mission tomorrow as it is a Saturday. However we have a few tips and reminders. Reminders

On Monday we will be alunching into Zone 1 - Entrance Front Porch and Dining Room

This is a link to the Flylady Launchpad where you can find most of the links to the sections Launchpad

CarpeJugulum Fri 31-Aug-12 10:53:08

Morning all.

I have been a remiss flyer for most of the summer due to guests being here. And I'll be bad for most of September too as we're on holiday blush

Sorry!

<flagellates self with e-cloth>

toomuchmonthatendofthemoney Fri 31-Aug-12 13:03:45

<tentatively sneaks onto thread>

Hello ladies, I have been on MN ages but always managed to successfully ignore the GH topic, but now I think I may need your help. I am fed up with state of house. Just me, messy DS (6) even messier DH and a permanently casting Ddog.

Is this a quiche or can anyone join in the cry for help?

I'm here and ready for the first of the month. I still have no idea whether September will bring me employment or not but if not, I am going to have a proper go at getting on top of this house (and of getting DH and DD on board but thats another story)

Toomuchmonthatthenedofthemoney Come and join in, all are welcome. Read the blurb at the top of the thread and it'll give you a good idea of what we are all about but hopefully you'll find us a good place to get any help (or procrastinate) to sort out the house.

Trazzletoes Fri 31-Aug-12 14:42:51

<waves at toomuchmonth>

castlelough Fri 31-Aug-12 15:25:53

Looking forward to the new month! Thanks WhoKnows x

Toomuch yes and no is the answer. yes we appear to be a quiche because there are a lot of regulars and we like to chat sometimes more then clean but no we are not a quiche because as long as you are not rude/nasty/etc anyone can post. Some post a few times, some post a little some post a lot. Some have been here a few days, some a few months some a few years. it is transient and everychanging. Jump on board, see if it works for you but many of us have found it is not a quick fix but a slow burn in sorting out the chaos.

Afternoon. Looking forward to tomo but not for the flying. Off galavanting around the countryside to go see a show tomo and quite excited about it. Been at a craft fair and managed not to spend a fortune which was nice.

IWipeArses Fri 31-Aug-12 16:55:00

Marking place for tomorrow. The sink is my nemesis, so I'm going to focus on babysteps this month.

dizzyday07 Fri 31-Aug-12 22:45:33

Found you all! It was my birthday yesterday so I've come sharing chocolates.

I'm hoping that as the decluttering should be done for the move that when we get to the new house I can start straight with babysteps and missions - but as I can always find something else to do instead of housework - I'm not holding my breathe!

We were meant to exchange today but the bank is messing around but fingers crossed it happensMonday

Evening all, nice to see so many people ready to Fly in September. We've just got back from an unexpected outing to the Paralympics, DH managed to get tickets yesterday for tonights athletics and we've had a brilliant time, journeys went like clockwork, nice weather too. DCs have just gone to bed, in fact I beat them to it as we all got in my bed for a story then they turned off my light and went away leav

ing me with my phone, hence broken post. DS has got his first proper football match tomorrow, got to go at 8.30, he's going to be shattered.

Night all.

laurenamium Sat 01-Sep-12 07:28:19

Ohhhh am I in a quiche?! grin

Waves to toomuchmoney, your name made me smile!

My mum gets back from new York tomorrow <does a little dance> so it would be nice if she could come back to a clean house with clean dogs so today's list:

Wash and sweep all floors
Empty dishwasher
Shower dogs
Clean shower
Dust
Hoover rugs and stairs
Walk dogs *2

BBL!!

ToffeeWhirl Sat 01-Sep-12 09:33:37

Morning all. Have just woken from a nine-hour sleep shock! DH is worrying about me because I have had some odd blood-test results from the dr (linked to the pneumonia, possibly) and have to go back on Monday, so he let me sleep in. Am feeling fine, so I'm sure it'll be nothing.

Our holiday dog, the Border Terrier, returned to us yesterday - three times! The first time, DH and DS1 came back from shopping to find her sitting on our doorstep, waiting patiently. The second time, our next-door neighbour knocked at our door and said, "Is this your dog?" And then she did it again, at which point I suggested to the owners that we just keep her until evening, which we did.

DS1 and I ended up taking her for an extra long walk on the Downs. It was a very happy reunion. Sadly, her owners have gone now (moving house today), taking her with them. They will only be a couple of miles away, but it feels so far (am still wondering if she will trot along the river back to us though wink). I never expected to grow so fond of her. It has really taken me by surprise.

As for Flying... I need to get sorted in time for school and home ed next week. I don't think much will get done today, as we have to go out today and have a neighbour's birthday party to go to this evening. Will try and get stuff done on Sunday. My deadline is the visit from the LEA next Thursday, by which time my house needs to be spotless (a crisis clean might be in order wink).

Hope you all have a good Saturday.

ToffeeWhirl Sat 01-Sep-12 09:34:19

Apologies for me, me, me post! blush

Mymumsdaughter Sat 01-Sep-12 09:52:54

I can remeber the first thread and lurking I need to do it all again Do babysteps come before missions and zones, is. It really aweek for enterance and porch and do I really need shoes on! I'll just follow u guys

Brices Sat 01-Sep-12 09:57:22

Hi
I would like to try flying again.
Today I would like to:-
Declutter bedroom
Attempt to fix telescopic window cleaner
Work out how to lengthen straps on buggy
Find out when car insurance renewal is
Sew trousers
Attach new lampshade in DDs room

feetheart Sat 01-Sep-12 10:32:16

Morning to new and old!

Mymumsdaughter - as I understand it it's babysteps first, then decluttering, then missions, then 'deep-cleaning' but really most people adapt it to suit themselves and their lives. I have been here for ages and have some of the babysteps ingrained but I declutter in fits and starts, do the missions randomly and have never got to the deep clean stage!! I am going back to basics again this month and am determined to get this house sorted.

Engelsemama - I feel your pain. Part of the problem I have in this house is that it was DH's childhood home and still has lots of his dad's stuff in it (this will be the dad who died 20 years ago this week shock) I often feel that I don't belong inspite of living here for 10 years and giving birth to DS in the living room. There is too much stuff, some of my things are still in boxes and DH doesn't see mess at all most of the time. Those who have been here a while kindly put up with my ranting when it all gets too much.
However, pancakes, mmmmm. DH lived and worked in Amsterdam for nearly 2 years a long time ago and we spent many a happy Sunday morning in a pancake house by one of the canals. Have even found a Dutch pancake house in London and introduced the DC to the scrummy delights smile

On to Flying:
- Washing on - done
- Work (invoices today)
- Washing up then soak sink then shine it
- S&S bathroom
- Menu plan, shopping list, shop
- Sort out file re my flat as tenants are leaving and I need to ensure I have forms etc to give to new prospective tenants
- Ironing again

That will do, must remember Babysteps.
Have a good w/e everyone.

laurenamium Sat 01-Sep-12 10:48:29

They do say that dogs choose their owners toffee! It's a shame that you couldn't keep her sad I admit to thinking that at the end of the holidays the owners were going to say you could keep her blush but looks like I was wrong!

IWipeArses Sat 01-Sep-12 11:08:44

Morning all!

feetheart I visited a dutch pancake house in London with my sister a few years back, it was amazing.

washing on
breakfast done (+ table + blw debris cleared)
washing up started

ready to go out
out
lunch
walk + kite (fingers crossed)
sort washing and put away
dinner
clear up
washing up, wipe sides
sweep and mopq

IWipeArses Sat 01-Sep-12 11:11:04

Morning all!

feetheart I visited a dutch pancake house in London with my sister a few years back, it was amazing.

washing on
breakfast done (+ table + blw debris cleared)
washing up started

ready to go out
out
lunch
walk + kite (fingers crossed)
sort washing and put away
dinner
clear up
washing up, wipe sides
tidy through
bath and bed
Goo Gone
and shine sink (ish, it's a funny sort of granite effect plastic stuff, so doesn't really shine)

Iburntthecakes Sat 01-Sep-12 11:12:11

Right.

Baby sling ready.

Ta da:
Wash nappies

To do:
Shine sink
Get into town
Make lunch for BIL
Hang up nappies and sheets to dry
Pay bills
Put away baby clothes

IWipeArses Sat 01-Sep-12 11:13:38

Woops! The baby did it.

feetheart Sat 01-Sep-12 11:23:26

Iburntthecakes - nothing like a line full of nappies to make you feel good smile

Work - done
Now need to get washed and dressed blush. Shoes step is tomorrow so I'm still being a good Flyer aren't I?

ShiftyFades Sat 01-Sep-12 11:54:14

Morning all!! Happy September grin

Toffee glad you got a lie in envy
And even more glad to hear you are feeling better grin

Flying:
Lots of washing and ironing today sad
Done:
Washing up
S&s bathroom
5 min room rescue of DS's toys - can see his floor grin
Got a large loan for extension grin
Bank man coming in a mo to sign the last of the forms (was running out of "free" parking at local supermarket)

Think this will be my last weekend of not decluttering sad

Got to face facts- its going to be a messy Autumn and I need to chuck anything I don't use / love sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now