where is the slattern thread?

(103 Posts)
twonker Fri 10-Aug-12 22:14:56

calling any fellow slatterns, please point me in the direction of your thread! i am looking for the company of those who really struggle with procrastination, and a blindness towards mess and junk.... please help me open my eyes!!!

I managed to slog through yesterday, and now have a hallway smile A hallway that needs a hoover admittedly, but I have a hallway. I now have less than 4 hours, and a living room and kitchen to remedy (not tidy, they wont be brilliant, but they need to be better than they are). I reckon, for me, I managed a mile yesterday smile but the downstairs is another 4 miles sad But I'm focussing on inches, and ignoring the miles. The more inches I do, the closer to the miles I will be smile

I have, the last few days, managed to be more focussed. Still struggling with getting up, but not been getting up and spending all my time on the computer just to stop me going back to bed.

ComradeJing Mon 13-Aug-12 14:05:10

I did nothing in the end. DHs flight was cancelled so we just hung out with DD.

SirEdmundFrillary Mon 13-Aug-12 14:09:31

Me too I'm afraid and what's worse I don't care. We have dust balls.

twonker Mon 13-Aug-12 14:57:00

Hello everyone
glass sounds like you have done absolutely loads today. Well done,and I hope the visit goes well for you. Sometimes a bit of pressure gives me motivation to get quite a long way. It's maintaining it that I struggle with. As soon as the pressure is gone, I back slide terribly.

comrade I think hanging out together is so important, and especially when you get an unexpected moment together.

slattern motivational tips. . . . Dunno. 15mins? Our kids will NOT have this difficulty, so I need to show them how to be better?

Argh. Not feeling very focused today. My agency pissed me off by giving my best job, which I have carefully cultivated over the last 4 months to someone else,mbecause in the crucial hour when they needed confirmation my battery was dead. Soooooo pissed off. Which means I now can't be bothered with. aNYTHING because even when you do try really hard to get something right, some minor human error always creeps in to fuck it up. So what's the point?

twonker Mon 13-Aug-12 14:59:47

Hi edmund do you always not care, or is it just now? How about anyone else in your house? Do they care? Nice to meet you.

twonker Mon 13-Aug-12 15:01:29

in need of brandy hello, yes I think we all struggle with the computer...... Must get off it myself!

SirEdmundFrillary Mon 13-Aug-12 15:10:38

Hello twonker

It's a definite trend. My DH is here too, he'd probably prefer it slightly better but isn't too bad about it. Good to meet you too smile

twonker Mon 13-Aug-12 15:33:33

edmund i can see the motivation might be quite hard to find.... i'm keen to improve things so that my kids think tidy is normal and will get used to tidying up after themselves. also my dp is unhappy living in a s**thole. that should be enough motivation. ok, i am going to get off my arse and tick something off the list NOW!!

twonker Mon 13-Aug-12 16:05:33

hurray, i threw a completed list in the bin!!!!!!

1st time ever. think thats why i hate lists. they hang around forever.

SirEdmundFrillary Mon 13-Aug-12 16:05:58

Twonker I'm sorry - I think I misinterpreted your thread as embracing slatterniness. I'm happy to be one but I can see why you might not want to.

Trazzletoes Bosnia-Herzegovina Mon 13-Aug-12 16:13:31

Hello! Please can I join? I've lost my coffee table and have no idea what colour my carpets are...

Stangirl Mon 13-Aug-12 16:35:26

Do I belong here?

Total slattern with some aspirations to sort things out eg sell 8 bags of kids clothes and loads of baby equipment on ebay, but some things I just don't care about eg if my bed sheets get changed 4 times a year it's a miracle.

Slatternismymiddlename Mon 13-Aug-12 20:05:12

Twonker - congratulations on your first completed list wine!!

Trazzle - I sympathise about the coffee table, I think I own a dining room table but not really sure.

Stangirl - I too have allusions of grandeur that one day I will not be as useless at all things housekeeping as I currently am. I like AGlass's thought process - small steps. To me ebaying is just too big a mountain to climb, but good luck!

Well done twonker smile I must admit my list can always go in the bin, cos I only ever have one or two items on them, any more is too much. I add a new item when I cross the old one off.

Trazzle I know I own several tables... I'm not quite sure of their size, height or colour though.

Stangirl I want to declutter and do a major carboot (um, do they allow you to take a van, am sure I could fill one....) but changing bedsheets, doing the dishes, the hoovering etc, they are all inches I struggle with.

The appointment today wasnt brilliant, but equally could have been worse, which is something I suppose. I managed to find some of my livingroom floor, the part which we are supposed to be able to walk on, rather then the bits round the edges which consist of boxes of stuff to go upstairs and be sorted out. Small steps, inches at a time. The hallway is still sorted, so I havent slid back by achieving a new target but slipping back with the previous one. I'm out all tomorrow, then back at work Wednesday, but will continue on Wed evening - I have family down from Wed who are going to give me a hand, so hopefully come the end of the weekend, several miles will have been covered. but even if it is only inches, anything is better than nothing smile

Slatternismymiddlename Tue 14-Aug-12 22:30:32

Oops, nowt done today except prep for tomorrow nights dinner. Not a good cleaning/sorting day, however I did some exercise so feeling okay about the day in all. Hope all of you got something done today.

twonker Tue 14-Aug-12 22:39:55

Hi everyone. A day for treading water. The kitchen is no dirtier, the living room is only slightly dirtier, and the toilet and bathroom are slightly cleaner. Plus I had the washing maching fixed yesterday so am several loads further on.

a glass it sounds like you are moving forward. I find it hard to get a plan together: look at A, describe B and then lost the steps and help needed to get from A to B. i hope you enjoyed your day out today, and that your family give you the support you need. I like your list tip. It's true it was a very short list I completed yesterday, but it felt good!
stan girl welcome! Targets are good, right? I have to do a lot of targets at work, and I get a bit jaded with them. . I think I need to set some for myself, they will have to be SMART!

edmund I think a thread embracing slatternly ways would be great! I wish I could, but living in a small house, it is not working for us, so I am afraid I need to change my ways.

trazzle hi and welcome! I'm sure we will be locating many things on this journey, coffee tables included! I would like to find my front door eventually. It has a little porch which is used as a coat cupboard--dumping ground--It is very embarrassing when I let visitors in through the back door, and they try to get out through the front doorblush

slattern hope you had a good day today.

ComradeJing Wed 15-Aug-12 02:49:29

Hi everyone. I, again, did bugger all yesterday. Felt very down as our move to Sydney has been shelved again so motivation went down to zero. Of course, today we've been told that as far as the global CEO is concerned we're still going. This bloody roller coaster is killing me so I'd like to just know one way or another.

Out to lunch and dinner today with friends. Can't wait. Hope you all get through your todos!

Twonker my study is like your front porch! The door is kept firmly closed. grin blush

BeaWheesht Wed 15-Aug-12 09:28:51

Hello, can I join?

Our kitchen is cluttered which is my main bug bear and the master bedroom. The rest of the house doesn't take too long really to get presentable.

Am fed up of it now though. My problem is half motivation and half a kamikaze toddler who can't be left for a minute!

ComradeJing Thu 16-Aug-12 04:28:37

Hi Bea, I've heard that the easiest way to deal with a cluttered kitchen is to pack all of your utensils in one box and all of your kitchen appliances in a second box. Every time you use something from either of the boxes you clean it and then put it back in it's rightful place in the kitchen. After a month you throw or charity shop or ebay everything that is left in the boxes and therefor you haven't used.

Obviously season things like christmas cake decorations don't count but the same theory applies - if you don't use it EVERY Christmas/season then you throw it out.

No idea if this all works of course as my kitchen is a cluttered mess too! grin

Just been confirmed that DH has the posting to Sydney. He leaves next month. So I need to massively ramp up my uncluttering efforts!

Slatternismymiddlename Thu 16-Aug-12 08:47:49

Woo hoo Comrade, congratulations! Now you finally can start planning. Considering I am so absolutely useless at all things cleaning and organising I love the 'theory' and planning of them, therefor if I was you my mind would buzzing right now!

I'm off work today so hopefully will get something done, not sure what.

BeaWheesht Thu 16-Aug-12 10:24:58

I dont think you can get boxes big enough!

We just have so much stuff, we dont use it now but Im sure we'll use it one day hmm. (eg: Marguerita glasses)

The thing is we actually have quite a lot of really nice stuff but you cant see it amongst the clutter!

Ds is at school and dd is playing so I should be decluttering now but Im not, Im on here, just walked dog and in 10 minutes I need to get dd to have a sleep.

Oh well.

twonker Thu 16-Aug-12 21:52:53

Hello slatterns! I have got a few days of work, and With the kids off school, we have lost all semblance of any routine, so I might get the bathroom tidied, but then I forget to give them lunch until 5pm blush.
So I'm going to have an early night tonight and aim at getting up at a reasonable time, and have meals at sensible times as my main aim tomorrow.

Comrade.... I've a journalist friend Whois reposted occasionally, and the whole year leading up to the reshuffle is so stressful for her and her family. I bet it's been hard to keep focussed with that sort of uncertainty. I'm glad you've got the definite answer now though.

So, location of coffee table, dining table, porch, kitchen and study needed!

In the meantime, I'm going for location of shoes and lunch!

Slatternismymiddlename Fri 17-Aug-12 12:27:40

Hello all slatterns. I have visitors tonight so have unearthed my dining table smile however have put all the stuff that was on it in a pile upstairs blush. As usual didn't bother sorting it. I'm now at the stuffing stuff in random cupboards stage of proceedings.

BertieBotts Germany Fri 17-Aug-12 16:12:03

Hi all.

Having a cleaning day today because I've been feeding my neighbours' cat while they were on holiday, only to realise on the day they got back (luckily!) that I'd lost their key blush blush so really have to do a big tidy up to find it.

Does anyone else find they feel sluggish on days they've set out to tackle something? It just seems like such a huge, never ending job. Perhaps I should break it into smaller tasks before attempting it or something.

We have far too much stuff. I have had a new brainwave that I'm going to shove all of the "stuff" into my bedroom because it's massive and I don't need the space. It seems a shame but perhaps it's a good first step to get it out of the living space, then I can either get it sorted, or get it gone completely.

Nigglenaggle Fri 17-Aug-12 20:27:02

I think smaller tasks is definitely the way to go. But sometimes its just where to start. Our worst room has two big armchairs piled high with clothes (and other junk) - probably half of them dont even fit post baby if I could reach them to try them on, boxes all over the floor and the bits that dont have boxes have cat litter (unsoiled I will add! Its where we keep the clean bag) all over them ouch ouch ouch every time I walk on it but the room is so crowded the hoover doesnt really fit in it - every time I walk into the room to do... just something... it overwhelms me and I have to go away quite quickly!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now