Cordless lamps? Does such a thing exist?

(28 Posts)
SlinkyPebbles Thu 09-Aug-12 21:41:23

Plugholes in the wrong place for landing lamps. Rather than move the plugholes, does anyone know if such a thing as a cordless lamp exists?

Stuartbrown69 Fri 11-Oct-13 22:22:31

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Stuartbrown69 Fri 11-Oct-13 22:02:04

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

SlinkyPebbles Tue 14-Aug-12 22:15:15

Thanks all!

Follyfoot Tue 14-Aug-12 06:43:37

Could you use a couple of night lights that plug directly into the socket? We used just one on our landing and it was enough to light the way for the children so two should give you plenty of light. If they are light sensitive ones, you can just leave them switched on all the time.

TeaAndSlanket Tue 14-Aug-12 06:33:58

Ikea do rubbery rechargeable night-lights, with coloured bulbs, in their kids section.

Honu Tue 14-Aug-12 05:01:46

We saw solar powered indoor lights in Ikea a few weeks ago.

SlinkyPebbles Mon 13-Aug-12 22:21:47

Mathmos do have a decent selection, thanks!

SlinkyPebbles Mon 13-Aug-12 22:19:08

A dimmer switch is a great idea actually. O do like the idea of a cosy lamp, but I don't think i'm going to find what's in my imagination! Thanks for the other suggestions too, I'll certainly have a look at some of those.

nextphase Mon 13-Aug-12 07:33:33

We have one of these similar to CMOTDibbler, but got it from Wilkos, but if the sockets are in the wrong place, it might not help!

Our main landing light is also quite good. It gives off a blue / purple glow, so is enough to wander round at night, but not bright enough to wake you up, IYSWIM? No idea what it is, or how to find it - a quick google didn't bring anything like it up.

And a friend has something like these where the torch is detachable for trips, but charges the rest of the time?

these might be bright enough?

comixminx Mon 13-Aug-12 07:20:45

You used to be able to get globe Mathmos lamps that plugged in to charge up and could be unplugged when ready; they are then free-standing/cordless.

Ooh, where did you get those CMOTDibbler?

PigletJohn Sun 12-Aug-12 21:51:08

aha

are the switches for the landing light, single switches (square, with just one tumber)?

How would you feel about changing one for a dimmer so you could leave the lights low overnight?

Returning to the electrical sockets in the bedrooms, if any of them magically transported themselves through the thickness of the wall, so they were on the landing side, would that help?

CMOTDibbler Sun 12-Aug-12 21:49:28

No, not motion, light, so it comes on automatically when dusk falls

SlinkyPebbles Sun 12-Aug-12 21:45:58

Hello dibbler, yes I have a couple if sensor lights, but the kids have to walk out into the dark landing to activate them IYSWIM.

SlinkyPebbles Sun 12-Aug-12 21:44:49

Yes Piglet, two-way switching up and down. Landing has 4 bedrooms off it, and there are two switches, one at either end of the landing. The switches do happen to be outside each of two rooms. Landing is approx 12 ft long........

CMOTDibbler Sun 12-Aug-12 21:44:24

We have a plugin night light (handily with light sensor so you can leave it in all the time) thats plenty of light to see your way to the loo, and as long as theres a plug somewhere visible, it would be fine. Got it in Asda

Ikea do little light things that are designed to go in wardrobes that are motion activated, run on batteries and stick on the wall. Would that be any good? They also do a reading light thing that you push to turn on, again on battery power that sticks to the wall.

PigletJohn Sun 12-Aug-12 21:32:25

yes, I use table lamps on the landings as well. But how long is your landing, and where are the sockets?

Presumably the ceiling lamps have two-way switching (from upstairs and down) that operate all the landing lights together, is that right?

Do any of the rooms off the landing have sockets either on the wall adjoining the landing, or close to the doorways?

If you had rechargable lamps, would it be acceptable to recharge them each day?

SlinkyPebbles Sun 12-Aug-12 21:27:25

Hello piglet, it's subdued evening lighting I'm after, so the little ones can see their way to the loo.

PigletJohn Sun 12-Aug-12 19:42:52

how long is your landing, and where are the sockets?

does it have enough ceiling lamps?

SlinkyPebbles Sun 12-Aug-12 19:23:44

Hi Piglet and Sossige, the long wires is what I'm trying to avoid IYSWIM....

Sossiges Sat 11-Aug-12 22:14:28

Or use an extension lead

PigletJohn Sat 11-Aug-12 22:08:42

Plugholes in the wrong place for landing lamps. Rather than move the plugholes...

...fit a longer flex to the lamp.

SlinkyPebbles Sat 11-Aug-12 21:41:07

?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now