Getting stale milk stink out of car upholstery

(14 Posts)
katonggirl Sat 02-Feb-13 15:00:19

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

ceres Fri 25-May-12 06:14:10

that's good news! i have a bit of a vinegar obsession - use it for lots of things. hope your sister's car is soon whiff free.

Gincognito Wed 23-May-12 22:20:00

Quick update - vinegar solution appears to be working! Dsis reports that the smell is definitely lessening...

Gincognito Tue 22-May-12 08:57:01

Clam that is grim. Cheap aftershave!

Ok, will advise she tries the white vinegar mix and report back. Thanks all!

ceres Tue 22-May-12 07:59:31

bicarb won't work as the milk has soaked into the carpet.

a 50:50 mix of white vinegar and water should do the trick, pour it on leave afor a few minutes and then blot with a towel. if a lot of milk spilt it is probably best to repeat the vinegar rinse.

car will smell like a chippy until the carpet dries - the vinegar smell will disappear when dry and take the sour milk smell with it.

clam Mon 21-May-12 20:24:28

Oh God, the only time I was ever sick when pregnant was after dh spilt milk in the carpeted boot of his car, and then sprinkled cheap aftershave over it in a vain attempt to mask the smell. The sun came out, it fermented a bit more, I drove barely 100 yards and opened the door to vomit in the road!!

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Mon 21-May-12 20:19:14

Bicarbonate of soda, sprinkle it on, leave overnight before hoovering off.

This happened to my parents. They sold the car.

NorbertDentressangle Mon 21-May-12 20:13:59

I don't know if its a smell you can ever shift from cars TBH as its not as though you can get in there with a carpet shampooer etc.

DP once had one of those little plastic pots of milk with a peel back lid lying around in his car for ages until one day it exploded. It stank no matter what we did to get rid of it. Eventually he sold the car.

DeeLinquent Mon 21-May-12 20:13:27

I used a carpet washer on mine, it was one that had a spot cleaner hose thing. Worked great although did have to dry it with a hair dryer grin

DaisySteiner Mon 21-May-12 20:13:21

I would hire a rug doctor-type thing and use the upholstery attachment, which will actually clean it with hot water.

Gincognito Mon 21-May-12 20:10:43

No one, really?

Gincognito Sun 20-May-12 19:42:41

Bump to catch the early evening crowd.

Gincognito Sun 20-May-12 18:17:30

Does anyone know how my Dsis can get the stink out of the footwell of her car? She spilt three lattes over it and it hums! Despite trying vanish carpet mousse, dettol wipes and 1001 stain remover, the smell is getting worse. That lovely sicky smell that catches the back of your throat envy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now