LITTLE things that help keep you organised?

(542 Posts)
starrychime Mon 16-Apr-12 18:27:47

There's a lot of threads about cleaning routines, 15 min sessions etc which I love to read but never get round to following (one day, one day I will!)
Wondered if anyone has some little hints and tips that make things just a little bit easier about the house?
I use paper plates blush for morning toast, lunchtime sandwiches etc as I HATE washing up (no washer) - and it keeps it down a little bit.
Also keeping a small Ikea drawer sorter in the bathroom with DD's bobbles and clasps so they're to hand in the morning helps a bit.
Anyone else have any little tips?

ChaosTrulyReigns71 Tue 17-Apr-12 18:14:04

Oh arsefrippery.

again.

Bohica Tue 17-Apr-12 18:17:11

Chaos what are you doing???

ATF

I thought my iPad was broken grin

IamMummyhearmeROAR Tue 17-Apr-12 18:24:25

Pmsl!

LemonTurd Tue 17-Apr-12 18:27:50

I stand next to my recycling bin and shredder (helpfully they're next to each other!) when I'm opening post.
Things that need to be kept, bank statements, itemised bills, etc go straight into my personal file.

I buy birthday cards and presents in advance and keep them all in a drawer. This has saved my life on occasion!
It's worthwhile buying a job lot of cards to store away, so you're never caught short. Ocado sell cards, wrapping paper and stamps.

If you're on facebook, you can see a list of your friends' birthdays. On the lefthand menu on the home screen, go to events, at the top right hand of the screen there's a drop down menu, click on birthdays.

HateBeingCantDoUpMyJeans Tue 17-Apr-12 18:38:53

I thought there were lots of tips but it all chaos grin

notcitrus Tue 17-Apr-12 18:41:01

Tip I got from MN: never leave a room empty handed. There's always something to be taken out.

Stock up on birthday cards and children's presents in advance.

Get sticky labels made with your address, for use on parcels and in Christmas cards.

At least I'll not forget Chaos's recommendation grin

nannyl Tue 17-Apr-12 19:15:39

lmao at chaos!!!! grin

treadonthecracks Tue 17-Apr-12 19:25:40

I use hotmail email and I like the calendar for putting reminders in - I have all birthdays in there on yearly repeat and so a reminder pops up a week before everyone's birthday/anniversary etc. I use it to remind me about school trips and partys too.

Great thread - pinching lots of ideas.

pearliwhile Tue 17-Apr-12 19:28:06

Think we've got the message Chaos grin

bibbitybobbitybunny Tue 17-Apr-12 19:37:28

I am SO not organised, but a tiny thing I try to remember to do is to have a quick glance around any room when I am about to leave it and to take anything that doesn't belong in that room with me and to put it where it does belong as I go. I have small baskets on the top flight of stairs and the lower flight of stairs - we have lots of levels in this house - for the things I can't put away straight away.

When my dc were much younger and I was a sahm in the midst of the chaos that is the baby/toddler stage, I had a 3 point list of jobs to do every day, headed morning, afternoon, and evening and I had to put one job in each section and it could be a tiny weeny thing (like water plants or phone Mum or pair up clean socks) - that really helped me to stay on top of things.

treadonthecracks Tue 17-Apr-12 19:39:12

BBB I love lists too!

I have a to do list and I try to clear 3 things from it a day. One of them 20 mins worth of housework.

Petrean Tue 17-Apr-12 19:49:16

What was that chaos? grin

starrychime Tue 17-Apr-12 21:14:03

Came back to look and got all excited thinking there were loads of tips grin Bossybritches, we don't use THAT many plates - one for DD's breakfast toast/fruit and maybe a couple at weekend lunchtimes - and they get put in the recycle bin so don't feel too guilty!

Grockle Tue 17-Apr-12 22:27:06

Aww, I love chaos!

SkinnyVanillaLatte Wed 18-Apr-12 10:39:17

I second bibbity with the am/pm/eve list.It sounds soft but it really works!I agree with the tiny things that can get forgotten for weeks on end (I'm thinking watering plants here),but only take minutes to do.Also good for pet feeding/walking and the laundry routine - helps you get through a whole evolution of laundry per day.Eg:
am washing into machine
hang out or put in tumble drier

pm get washing in
finish any damp stuff in tumble drier/on radiators

eve fold/put away/iron.

Also get some of the instant liquid shoe shine stuff for when you realise kids shoes are a state and you can't be arsed haven't got time to polish them.

Finally,always have bag ready to go,whether it be handbag,changing bag or whatever,so when the shit hits the fan at the last minute (as it invariably does!) you can just pick up and go!

SkinnyVanillaLatte Wed 18-Apr-12 12:11:14

Keep a little kit in every bag - plasters,anti bacterial hand cleaning gel,mini pack of wet wipes, etc.
Keep a list of emergency/frequently used phone numbers in your purse in case your mobile runs out of charge and you can't access your contacts if you need to.

SkinnyVanillaLatte Wed 18-Apr-12 12:13:16

Oh,and have a 'destination station' by the door where school bags,coats,shoes etc go so there ready for the next day,ideally with a shelf to put anything on that's to hand in or not be forgotten.

tinymouse Wed 18-Apr-12 12:14:23

if you havent used something in say 5 years. get rid. recycle flog give away just clear it.

Solo Wed 18-Apr-12 12:16:52

I am SOOO watching this thread!

MarkStretch Wed 18-Apr-12 12:24:03

When the DC's come home from activities/playgroup I wash/dry/organise their bag and re pack it the same afternoon so the next time they go I only have to grab it out of the cupboard.

Same for the nappy bag, I top it up when I get home and it's ready for me to pick up as I rush out of the door.

I always keep a potty/nappies/wipes/change of clothes for youngest two in the boot of my car. Has saved my bacon, and other people's, on many an occasion!

MarkStretch Wed 18-Apr-12 12:25:04

I am definietely doing that duvet-cover-in-the-pillow-case tip.

SanityTrowel Wed 18-Apr-12 12:26:29

I did do the same job on each day of the week. E.g wipe down kitchen top to bottom and floors on mon, Bathrooms on tues etc. Then things didn't don't get too hideous and the routine just became becomes part of that days shape.

That all worked well for years until recently, when MN entered my life. Now just reading about doing housework makes me feel as though I have done it grin

Mspontipine Wed 18-Apr-12 12:38:47

You also spelled "annually" incorrectly every single time Chaos - I did think at first you were trying to correct yourself - or did you mean what you put? grin

fayette Wed 18-Apr-12 12:47:50

I'm a bit of a lazy person but try to be organised. I keep a diary on the breakfast bar (everything writes their appointments and stuff in). I like to make lists of jobs to do and stick them down next to diary. When the kids were younger and were going to football, swimming lessons, scouts, guides, netball (2 teams), school activities I used to keep all letters in a file with clear plastic pockets. Section for each activity.
Every so often I have a blitz and anything left lying around gets put in a cardboard box with the threat it'll be in the bin if it's still there next day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now