how much does it cost to get curtains dry cleaned?

(10 Posts)
brimfull Fri 04-Mar-11 19:35:31

have had them up for yrs and desp need to be cleaned

snorkie Fri 04-Mar-11 19:46:44

We paid £70 for 2 pairs - complete ripoff imo

brimfull Fri 04-Mar-11 19:53:30

that's what I am afraid of.

may have to do one at a time

northerngirl41 Fri 04-Mar-11 21:10:56

Are they interlined/thermals? If so be prepared for the horror of £150 for 2 pairs. Mind you, I'd had those up for 6 years so £25/year ain't bad!

Do they really need to be cleaned though? Could you get away with Frebreeze and a steam iron? (Massive amount of faff but I've just regenerated a pair of curtains which have been in a plastic bin bag for 25 years with that method!!)

brimfull Fri 04-Mar-11 21:18:56

they're lined but not interlined
they are cream and filthy if you look closely
I have a steam cleaner actually , never thought about using it.

CeliaFate Sat 05-Mar-11 14:46:14

Do them on cold wool cycle in the washing machine. Do one at a time, low spin speed and plenty of fabric conditioner. Hang them up straightaway and pull them so they dry with very few creases.

Ooopsadaisy Sat 05-Mar-11 14:52:49

I started a thread on here regarding dry cleaning a while back.

I admitted to never having ever had anything dry cleaned and asking if I was weird.

I have always just hand-washed anything that says dry clean - curtains, rugs, bridesmaid dresses, coats, duvets etc.

One post was all about the chemicals used in dry cleaning.

Definitely made me feel I'd made the right decision!

If curtains are lined, I would detach the lining and wash separately. Then sew back in when dry. Sometimes one will shrink just a tiny bit and this makes the hems/seams all bobble up. By taking out and sewing back in you will be able to line them up again.

brimfull Sat 05-Mar-11 15:04:27

great thanks
Can't be arsed to take the lining out , would take me hrs
am willing to risk it
will put one in and do test

thanks sooo much !!!

why the fabric conditioner?? haven't got any

CeliaFate Sat 05-Mar-11 19:57:02

Fabric conditioner will make them soft and less creased and your room will smell gorgeous while they dry!

potplant Sat 05-Mar-11 20:00:30

They charge by weight in my local dry cleaners. Couldn't believe how much it cost.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now