What do you do with flannels?

(60 Posts)

Do you reuse them? What do you to with them in between & what do you do with them when they are ready to go in the laundry but still wet? Hoping for some innovative solution

bibbitybobbityhat Sun 09-Jan-11 19:50:57

The dc use flannels to wash their faces.

They get used for about 3 days.

Then hung on the lower reaches of the heated towel rail in the bathroom to dry.

Then put in the laundry basket.

Then washed at 60 with the sheets or towels.

Hth.

deemented Sun 09-Jan-11 19:51:01

I only ever use flannels as boosters in DS3's nappies blush

UniS Sun 09-Jan-11 19:52:22

Depends on what they were first used for... Dump them in the bath normally.
they get chucked in first available wash load so seldom in bath more than 48 hours.

I have LOTS of flannels and they are jolly useful. Wiping condensation off windows, washing child, washing bits of adult, mopping up spills... Some have been demoted to dedicated cleaning cloths for Stove window and conservatory windowsills.

NorbertDentressangle Sun 09-Jan-11 19:54:00

What bibbity said.

When clean they are kept in the laundry cupboard in the bathroom with the towels and sheets.

When the DC were little we used have some in the kitchen drawer too that were used after meals to clean up their hands and faces

Used once and washed.

CottageFrog Sun 09-Jan-11 20:14:08

If flannels are used here, they are washed afterwards. I could not stand the thought of them being used for several days. I suppose though, it does depend on what you are washing wink

expatinscotland Sun 09-Jan-11 20:16:11

Use once and wash.

Ragwort Sun 09-Jan-11 20:18:32

Must be a slut as I use a flannel daily (only on face grin) but only wash it about a once a week (hurridly rushes to put it in the wash...)

TheMonster Sun 09-Jan-11 20:19:29

I use my flannel for my face only, and like Ragwort, for about a week before they go into a hot wash with the towels.

bibbitybobbityhat Sun 09-Jan-11 20:20:45

The level of prissiness on Mn astounds me sometimes.

TheMonster Sun 09-Jan-11 20:23:02

me? prissy? no way!

onepieceoflollipop Sun 09-Jan-11 20:23:03

Use once and then wash. If I am not doing a wash that day I rinse them out, wring out well and hang on airer so they dry.

I hate the smell of damp/mildewy flannel in a bathroom.

We have face flannels that are used after meals on children. I occasionally use one to wash my face at night (find the warm water really soothing). And the dds use them in the bath as well.

TheMonster Sun 09-Jan-11 20:23:34

I hate that damp smell too, but they never get to that stage.

Even if you only use them once where do you put them before you wash them?

peachybums Sun 09-Jan-11 20:27:20

We have a small basket next to the sink in the bathroom with clean ones in, i use them for cleaning up DD2 and the other two use them to wash after meals etc. They use them once then get thrown in the wash with towels

TheMonster Sun 09-Jan-11 20:28:45

I put them on the side of the bath until they go for a wash, when they get chucked on top of the washing mountain pile on the landing.

onepieceoflollipop Sun 09-Jan-11 20:28:51

Bumper I wring them out and hang them to air/dry. Then put for laundry as normal. I don't put damp towels or flannels in the laundry basket unless I am about to put a wash on.

BertieBotts Sun 09-Jan-11 20:32:13

I have loads but hardly ever use them because I hate the smell of damp flannel too and they never seem to dry quickly enough to avoid it, wherever I hang them.

If I have a damp one I tend to fling it straight into the washing machine, but my bathroom is next to the kitchen so it's not very far to go. Invariably the next wash I'm doing is a normal 40 wash so I end up taking it out again but at least it's dry by then.

Geepers Sun 09-Jan-11 20:33:40

Use once and wash, same for towels and tea towels.

Erm... wash them when I remember...

DH was poorly with a bout of heinous manflu a few weeks ago. He asked for a flannel for his head.

I got one for him.

But I didn't tell him what the kids were washing with it the day before.

TheMonster Sun 09-Jan-11 20:47:01

I put mine by the fire until they are nearly dry, then tumble them until dry and they don't smell.

WimpleOfTheBallet Sun 09-Jan-11 20:50:14

We use them once...they stink otherwise. Once used I bring them down and put them straight in the washing machine...they get washed with the next load. Doesn't matter i they go in with coloureds...they're flannels so I don't mind if they go pink or whatever.

lovelyopaque Sun 09-Jan-11 20:50:59

They are fantastic for exfoliating my face! I chuck them in the wash when damp as they are going to get washed and become more damp. Am a bit confused about why you would dry them before putting in wash.

onepieceoflollipop Sun 09-Jan-11 20:53:01

opaque, sometimes I might not be doing a wash for a day or two, but I don't re use flannels. I prefer not to leave them soaking wet/scrunched up in bathroom or whatever as they start to smell.

So I don't deliberately dry them before washing, only if the washing machine won't be on for a day or two. If I am doing a wash straightaway, they go in wet straight from the bathroom.

lovelyopaque Sun 09-Jan-11 20:55:34

Ok, makes sense. But fear I am careless about these things.

southeastastra Sun 09-Jan-11 20:56:30

do people still use flannels? :D

thefentiger Sun 09-Jan-11 20:58:10

Flannels- shudder didnt think they still existed tbh blush

schroeder Sun 09-Jan-11 20:58:23

I wash them after every use, otherwise I'd probably lose track of what I used them for last.<bleughk>

Flannels are great though I always wash my face with one(great for rubbing those flakey bits of my nosey) and then wipe the sink with it too.grin

We used to keep them in the kitchen aswell when the kiddies were little; I've never been a fan of wipes.

I just put them in the wash basket with everything else-is that wrong?

starfishmummy Sun 09-Jan-11 21:01:43

Use once on "person" then may use for a qu k wipe.of bath or basin. Just chuck in the washing basket as it's emptied daily anyway.

Yes Schroeder. I now learn that they must be doused in Milton if not Jeyes Fluid.

I stand corrected.

Flannel hygeine will now be introduced chez Rennies.

onepieceoflollipop Sun 09-Jan-11 21:03:39

I am quite particular re laundry and damp stuff. (probably excessively so).

Very occasionally I soak them with a drop of bleach or in boiling water if stained. (kitchen flannels rather than bathroom flannels, e.g. if dd2 has washed her face in bolognese sauce)

bnm Sun 09-Jan-11 21:05:24

If you don't use a flannel how do you and little ones wash your faces? We use to wash face only. They then go on radiator to dry after a couple or more uses they go in the wash. Sometimes they go in wash after a week. If eye infections ever occur then gets used once and washed/high temp of course after every use. should I explain that everyone has their own or is that the case for everyone? confused face needed.

CaurnieBred Sun 09-Jan-11 21:08:36

DD and I use a clean one each daily. She has eczema so hers are soaked in a liquid paraffin wash. They dry on the side of the bath and then go in for a hot wash. We have lots of flannels!

PDR Sun 09-Jan-11 21:10:56

DS uses them.

Use once then wring out and chuck in laundry basket (I usually do 2 loads a day so never there for long).

Once washed and dried I fold them in 4 and have a wicker basket where they live in DS's bathroom. Have about 20 of the things so never short!

thefentiger Sun 09-Jan-11 21:26:34

Wash face in bath or shower -so do teen DC (hopefully)

bibbitybobbityhat Sun 09-Jan-11 21:39:09

See, I am obviously not terribly prissy in that I will allow my dc to use a flannel up to three or four times ...

... but the thought of just chucking them in the machine, with whatever else needs washing that day (possibly jeans? or your dh's smelly socks?) just fills me with horror.

Flannels need to be washed at 60 minimum. White flannels with white towels and bedding, coloured flannels with coloured towels and bedding.

Do you not see?????

I chuck them in the nappy bucket until I put a wash on, have a small tub trug in the kitchen for used teatowels, muslins, flannedls etc too (as I don't like damp stuff in gen laundry).

Flannels are used for a day or so before wahsing.

lovelyopaque Sun 09-Jan-11 21:45:09

Never thought I would be on a thread about flannels which was running to 38 posts and counting grin

DreamTeamGirl Sun 09-Jan-11 21:48:31

We have 2 flannels, 1 for faces and 1 for belows
Same with towels

They are hung up after use and washed after 3 or 4 days.
What makes me (boak) is people who use the same towel on their face and personal areas... Makes my skin crawl.

said Sun 09-Jan-11 21:51:27

Same as bibbity on this

Do some people really put a towel in the wash after one use? shock Actually, unshock as remembering mn prissiness

Ohhh - you see, DreamTeamGirl has really worried me...

This takes me back to the time I was on a thread about how often you clean your fridge shelves.

I realised I'd NEVER cleaned mine.

I do them once every six months or so now, just to show willing.

I'm going off now to embroider Upstairs and Downstairs onto all our towels and flannels...

There is someone on MN who changes bed linen EVERY DAY...

amistillsexy Sun 09-Jan-11 21:54:15

We have separate flannels for everyone (but DH never uses his hmm. When the DSs have had their bath, they're usually left dripping in the soupy water, so I fill the washbasin with hot water, add a drop of lavender oil and give them a rinse. Then I put them on the radiator to dry for next day. Use for prob 2 or 3 days. Agree with posters who don't like damp stuff in general landry and dry them before washing grin .

Do they work in a hotel, Rhinestone?

Kbear Sun 09-Jan-11 21:56:46

Am I freakish cos we don't possess flannels?

I have flannel issues stemming from being traumatised as a child by flannels.. honest, I shudder at the thought of a flannel!!

Rennies - nope, it was on a 'how often do you change your beds' thread, and apparently it doesn't take that long hmm

Duck Kbear! There's a flannel!! It's coming to get youuuuuuuuu!

My mistake. It's just crawling on it's own to the washing machine from behind the loo...

Jeesus, it takes me two weeks to change a bed. That's roughly the time between 'Oooooh, new sheets, lovely... must do this again soon'. To 'Nooo, the linen cupboard of doom is going to eat me...' and 'Will changing the double duvet give me an asthma attack?' {NB I don't have asthma} to eventually 'Oh bloody hell, I'll strip it now and remake it later'

Then sleeping in the spare bed...

Kbear Sun 09-Jan-11 22:06:17

eff orf Rennie - I have had flannel therapy and can now work through my flannel anguish...

Flannel = festering bacteria

and I don't even mind a bit of bacteria here and there, just not festering on a mouldy flannel

urgh

duckyfuzz Sun 09-Jan-11 22:08:18

Only on mn...!

I use a flannel on my face daily, it gets washed weekly with towels, dried out between uses, never gets smelly. Same for DTs, but I did wash theirs more often when they were younger and messier

I have similar bed-changing technique Rennies...

DreamTeamGirl Sun 09-Jan-11 23:38:24

Aww sorry Rennies, its just a thing for me

I liken it to wiping your girl bits then your nose with the same tissue....

My absolute pet hate is going to peoples houses and there being no obvious hand towel just lots of personal towels

I am afraid I usally dry my hands on the back of a towelling dreessing gown in those instances blush

(oh and I wash my fridge shelves every 6-9 months TOPS- unless I am doing flylady that week and it comes up sooner)

LittlePushka Sun 09-Jan-11 23:52:22

If they are only used once and washed,...why use them at all? Would wipes not do?

mousymouse Mon 10-Jan-11 13:20:33

I use
- flannels instead of wipes for dd - changed daily/after no 2s
- flannels also in the bath for the dc - change after 1 use
- flannels to wash my face/remove make up - change when smelly (3days or so)

wash all flannels together with towels at 60

BadPoet Tue 11-Jan-11 11:31:01

Used once and washed, wrung out well and chucked in laundry basket. We have a very high turnover of laundry so no fear that they will fester there - washed at 60 with towels or whites (if white).

LittlePushka - it's cheaper & probably more environmentally friendly than wipes!

There's days I wonder if I inhabit the same universe as many people on MN....

valiumredhead Tue 11-Jan-11 16:58:15

Used and then in the wash in this house - can't bear damp flannel smell urghhhhhhh!

verysomething Tue 11-Jan-11 21:29:03

If I'm feeling virtuous I use white flannels... so pristine, like in nice hotel smile

But mostly I use dark coloured ones so I don't have to see what filth lies thereon as I use them for the 4th day... blush

Only for face, mind you.

Used on feet or anywhere else, straight into the wash. Mostly.

stealthsquiggle Tue 11-Jan-11 21:37:28

We have (lots of) dozens of them - get used as general mopping up children/spills/other things (and were comfort objects for both DC when they were small) - always a bucket in the utility room, they get chucked in there to soak (sometimes with added Milton tabs) until there is a towel/sheet (hot wash) load ready to go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now