Rug Doctor Carpet Cleaner and detergent/Persil

(14 Posts)
LindtLover Sat 08-Jan-11 21:46:26

I'm planning on renting a Rug Doctor carpet cleaner and saw this thread here where Hecate said she used Persil Small and Mighty liquid rather than buying the Rug Doctor detergent.

Hecate has left MN now, at New Year I think, so I can't ask her how much she put in etc so I was wondering if anyone else has used this trick? If you have, can you tell me what you did and whether it worked?

I don't want to bugger it up and break the machine!! Thanks.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but what happened with Hecate?

Don't know much about persil in rug doctor.

LindtLover Sat 08-Jan-11 22:02:35

See her goodbye thread here

Wish she had waited until I'd cleaned my carpets before she left!!!

onadietcokebreak Sat 08-Jan-11 22:08:38

Can you pm her so she gets an email and you can reel her back in grin

LindtLover Sat 08-Jan-11 22:13:59

dietcoke do you get an email if you get a PM?

I could give that a go, thanks!

onadietcokebreak Sat 08-Jan-11 22:20:08

Yep-worth a go!

LindtLover Sat 08-Jan-11 22:57:51

I love Hecate, she very kindly got back to me!

Honeydragon Sat 08-Jan-11 23:03:50

good please post quantities as I want to try this too grin

but I will shamelessly also wait for a update incase you end up knee deep in bubbles wink

onadietcokebreak Sat 08-Jan-11 23:15:14

Yay. Details and update required!

LindtLover Sat 08-Jan-11 23:33:09

I'm sure she won't mind me sharing her response as its for the good of carpet-kind everywhere!

"I used a bottle full (over several tankfuls of water) but tbh I could probably have used less. I just put a few good glugs in every time I had to fill up the water (as you would with the rug doctor detergent) and VERY hot water. It is, imo, just as good as their £20 bottles of cleaner. I shall not be bothering with their detergent again, that's for sure"

So when I go to rent the machine I will have a sneaky look at what they recommend for their own cleaning solution and do the same, maybe a little less.

It'll probably next weekend I rent the machine so I'll come back and report how it went. If I forget, feel free to pester me for an update!

LindtLover Sat 15-Jan-11 15:14:39

I rented the Rug Doctor on Thursda, only just remembered to come and give an update though.

The Persil Small and Mighty did a great job, on both the carpet and on my sofa with the upholstery attachment. Everything looks really good and it smells lovely now too.

On the Rig Doctor bottle of detergent it said 150ml per 9litre bucket of water, so I used about half of that in case it made too many bubbles but I needn't have worried. It worked best when the water was really hot, as hot as it can come from your taps, once the water had cooled towards the end of a load it wasn't as effective so the trick is to do the dirtiest bits straight away with fresh water.

For the sofa I found that if you press the button to spray the water on the upholstery 'wand' and put a fine mist over the section you are working on and then go over it with the wand and suck up the water it works best, otherwise you end up with a very soggy sofa.

It has given our very heavily soiled living room carpet almost as good a clean as when we paid a professional to come and do it, not quite as good but close. It was well worth doing because for less than half the price I have done all the rooms in the house plus the sofa. The disadvantage is that it doesn't do very well right up against the wall/skirting board. Where I could get away with it I left it, where I couldn't I had to use the hose wand attachment to get right up to the wall (ie. the last 2cm to the wall) but it doesn't do as good a job as the main cleaner.

You do need a separate bucket to fill up the water reservoir, I thought I could save time and just fill up the water collecting bucket and use that to pout into the reservoir - you can't, it doesn't pour well and I ended up with about 3 litres of water all over my living room.

The machine is smaller than I thought it would be and easily fit in my car. It was lighter than I expected too, though don't try to carry it upstairs when full of water, its heavier than you would think!

The other thing is that unless you have a big house I would imagine a one day rent would be enough. I did the living room, stairs, landing and three bedrooms in about 4.5hrs, no breaks though.

I'll definitely rent it again and do the same again. One day rental was £19.99 I think so its very cheap when you think the all the carpets in the house have been done.

Hope that helps somebody!

DreamTeamGirl Sat 15-Jan-11 17:00:10

Really useful Lindt
One last question
How wet did it leave the carpets, and how long did they take to dry?

(ok so thats two LOL)

LindtLover Sat 15-Jan-11 21:00:00

Huh,just typed an answer and it lost it hmm

Stayed damp for the rest of the day, dry by morning and the sofa was quicker to dry, we sat on them that evening with no problem. HTH

Thanks again to Hecate wink for getting back to me otherwise I wouldn't have risked the Persil thing.

onadietcokebreak Sat 29-Jan-11 23:18:57

Just searched for this and pleased to see it worked.

Got to clean my carpets soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now