Vitamix - worth £400??

(17 Posts)
greensmoothiegoddess Mon 08-Oct-12 21:12:06

Hi roses

One thing you must do is rotate your greens otherwise you get a build up of alkaloids. I rotate mine every 3 weeks. I find greens/cabbages are too bitter. My main ones are-

Weeks 1-3: spinach/pineapple/sugar free cranberry juice/lime or lemon
Weeks 4-6: pak choi/pineapple/sugar free cranberry juice/lime or lemon
Weeks 7-9: kale/pineapple/sugar free cranberry juice/lime or lemon

Can you spot a pattern here? Lol. I find this combination to be the most palatable, having tried all sorts. The pineapple masks the taste which is especially important during kale weeks.

If I could, I would just have the first one (spinach) but I MUST rotate.

Some purists say you mustn't mix greens with fruit but I just couldn't stomach it otherwise. My smoothies are mainly greens with only small proportions of the other stuff.

I have been doing WW and I have a green smoothie every morning for breakfast. I drink a huge mugful and it keeps me full till around 12. So it's good for slow release energy. My iron levels are great (13.4 av). And (ahem) my poos are regular like clockwork - if a little green.

bringmeroses Mon 08-Oct-12 18:42:33

Mmm that yoghurt sounds delicious. I've made a smoothie tonight in mine with one banana, one apple, a kiwi, slice of lime, a handful of grapes, handful of spinach/chard/rocket (from mixed salad bag!) and a cup of ice cubes. Ignoring the weird brown colour it tastes pretty good. I got mixed up between a couple of recipes in the vitamix book but I think you can put in whatever! The lime adds a nice fresh flavour.

If you have a minute could you fill me in on what goes in your favourite green smoothie? I've ordered the Eat to Live book from Amazon for a few ideas. I've only tried banana and spring greens so far, it was a bit strong/green tasting. Maybe that's the idea!

greensmoothiegoddess Fri 05-Oct-12 20:04:35

Have used mine for 4 years now - it is constantly on the go. Still going strong! The motor gives it great power hence its ability to pulverise.

I use it for:

Mainly - green smoothies for health.

I cook soups in it. Hub doesn't like the way it purees it as he likes texture in his soups and he says Vitamix soups are too airy and fluffy.

I also use it to chop and grind.

I make very low fat desserts involving yogurt and fruit e.g. Greek Total yogurt, raspberries, Splenda and loads of ice = one delicious dessert which tastes like expensive ice cream.

bringmeroses Thu 04-Oct-12 20:12:36

am jumping on here as got one recently and looking for ideas.. anyone?

Mikyahrose Sat 16-Jun-12 16:13:11

I've just bought one of these - i LOVE it!

This post is pretty old, but thought i'd re-use it.

Any one else got one.

Any good ideas for it?

beautyspot Mon 06-Dec-10 04:36:46

They are commercial quality blenders so they will blend almost anything to a puree. Blendtec also makes and heats soup! Haven't tried that yet.

I bought mine after loads of research as I wanted to get the best nutrients from vegetables. I can put in whole brocolli, carrots, kale etc and a very nice smooth drinkable (healthy) drink comes out (just like in the juicer/blender shops)

Grumpla Sun 05-Dec-10 19:58:11

How does it do that then? It looks like a fairly standard blades at the base of a jug set up - is there another stage to the process? Or are the blades constructed differently?

(I'm genuinely curious btw!)

sarah293 Sun 05-Dec-10 17:27:19

Message withdrawn

But I just grind seeds in the coffee grinder attachment which goes with the mixer and then lob them in the main bit and do the rest confused

sarah293 Sun 05-Dec-10 17:06:35

Message withdrawn

Grumpla Sun 05-Dec-10 16:55:28

What's the difference between that and a normal blender / food processor?

Alouiseg Sun 05-Dec-10 16:50:16

I saws these being demo'd yesterday. I'm usually a sucker for a demonstrated product but it didn't grab me,

beautyspot Sun 05-Dec-10 15:09:04

I bought a Blendtec blender for the same price because I want to blend vegetables to drink (need to consume more calcium). It's very good for that but I haven't used it for anything other than blending/mixing.

sarah293 Sun 05-Dec-10 11:16:23

Message withdrawn

are you mad.

It's an amazing piece of advertising - £400 for a blender it's a rip off!

pastaplease Thu 02-Dec-10 20:14:58

I was wondering if anyone would recommend (or otherwise) the Vitamix.

It's very expensive, but seems quite amazing! Might look out for one in the January sales.

Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now