where can I buy white vinegar?

(22 Posts)
Theala Sat 13-Apr-13 09:27:26

this is a stupid question but... is white vinegar normal clear vinegar or is it something else?

Alwayscheerful Sat 13-Apr-13 09:23:19

I buy 5 litres from booker cash & carry, macro sell it too for approx £3. Use with bicarbonate of soda to clean oven and stainless steel sinks, in a washing up dispenser 50:50 with fairy platinum to clean baths and showers and in place of fabric conditioner to make clothes soft. Lots of tips on Pinterest, best cleaning product ever.

iamfizzy Sat 13-Apr-13 09:07:38

can you buy white vinegar in chip shops? Also, not sure, but if you are looking for a 5 litre bottle can you try a catering supplier like Macro or 3663. Not sure if they do, but worth a try maybe?

slatternlymother Fri 12-Apr-13 21:26:56

Haha! echt I just was thinking that! grin

What else can you clean with white vinegar?

echt Fri 12-Apr-13 12:29:58

Am I the only one wondering just WHAT THE FUCK you could post on a vinegar thread to get deleted?

<disclaimer>I use white vinegar as cleaner for hardwood floors and general fabric conditioner. I am normal.

compoundinterest Thu 11-Apr-13 18:21:40

48p for a bottle in ASDA is the cheapest I've seen.

treesntrees Mon 08-Apr-13 21:38:05

yes Chinese supermarket

specialsubject Mon 08-Apr-13 18:14:45

spray bottles sold in Wilkinsons.

never seen it in supermarkets.

Rattitude Mon 08-Apr-13 16:01:00

It is a zombie thread, but the question is asked regularly anyway. I got a 5L bottle recently from a big Chinese supermarket in Manchester.

It cost me about £2.50, I think.

PipkinsPal Mon 08-Apr-13 15:55:46

I bought some white vinegar in a squirt bottle, think it was either from Wilkinsons or Home Bargains.

tostaera Mon 08-Apr-13 15:53:58

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Seona1973 Tue 20-Jul-10 09:27:35

some of the pickling vinegars have other spices added to it so I wouldnt use them. You want white distilled malt vinegar not the pickling stuff.

fustyarse Tue 20-Jul-10 09:22:32

it IS the pickling stuff? Well, who knew? smile
will get some today. Had it in my hand yesterday at tesco's but thought, nah, in my wisdom wink

thanks all

OgreRebel Mon 19-Jul-10 12:37:53

Sainsbury's. smile

peachybums Mon 19-Jul-10 12:34:56

I get mine from morrisons

dreamingofsun Mon 19-Jul-10 10:34:58

i got some at the fruit and veg shop - great big plastic bottle and very cheap. my dishwasher man recommended the cleaners you can get at the supermarkets

ppeatfruit Mon 19-Jul-10 10:19:13

Yes orm white vinegar is the stuff used in pickling I can't eat them, but vinegar is a great.cheap and versatile household cleaner.

Seona1973 Mon 19-Jul-10 09:50:00

we get it in the supermarket - it will say white distilled vinegar.

fustyarse Mon 19-Jul-10 08:37:32

Will check supermarket again today, was looking for a big container of it - maybe I can just buy a few bottles

It's just handy to have in the house for cleaning lots of things, I used to get it when we lived in Germany , big 5 litre jugs of the stuff and it lasted an age

Orm, don't think so - white vinegar is really potent stuff - I made the mistake of sprinkling it on my salad a few years ago and it almost choked me hmm grin

OrmRenewed Mon 19-Jul-10 08:32:17

White vinegar? I have some pickling vinegar that is clear. is that what you mean?

4andnotout Mon 19-Jul-10 08:26:18

Most supermarkets stock it, I found it in the condiment aisle for around 78p

fustyarse Mon 19-Jul-10 08:20:22

Have just moved house and the previous owners have left behind the dishwasher and washing machine (integrated)

they are grimy, and although I've cleaned them as best as I can, I want to run a hot wash through each with white vinegar to get rid of the muck that I can't see

Can't find it at any supermarket! Buying online costs a fortune in postage from the 2 places I've seen it dri pak and summer naturals)

just hoping someone will know of a high street shop that stocks it? Or another way to give the machines a good clean?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now