Magistrates

(13 Posts)
chubles5 Fri 09-Nov-12 14:21:14

Anyone had an interview to become a magistrate recently? Any hot tips on what to expect?

JollyPirate Sun 04-Apr-10 21:35:39

hmm Message deleted! Did I offend?confused

JollyPirate Sun 04-Apr-10 09:29:21

Cod is a poster here (who is also a magistrate afaik). She goes under several names though so you may not see her as Cod.

Jellycat22 Sun 04-Apr-10 09:17:01

Can someone advice what or who 'COD' is.

pageturner Tue 13-May-08 18:18:08

Excellent! A supportive DH is essential! smile

McDreamy Tue 13-May-08 09:34:21

Thanks everyone, I think I will look into it once I get back to the UK. I may be picking your brains again! Talked to DH about it last night and he was very supportive. smile

pageturner Mon 12-May-08 23:21:22

Hello there. I'm another new magistrate, appointed last year and started sitting recently. (Much help received from Cod!)

I'm really enjoying it so far. I am SAHM and my DH works from home which makes it very easy for me to give up the time. I sit about once a fortnight and there's a bit of training and bench meetings on top. I think if I got a job I'd be able to fit my sittings around it. They're very flexible about setting your dates around your availability, for instance, I don't do the school holidays. And there's a very healthy swapping system!

Go and visit your local court and see what you think. Good luck!

FluffyMummy123 Mon 12-May-08 16:25:59

Message withdrawn

nogginthenog Mon 12-May-08 16:24:00

I too have just been appointed, being sworn in this week and next week will meet my mentor. Cod - what does my mentor do?? Do I have to sit with him/her when they sit, or is it more non-court based? Am really looking forward to it now, it has taken 18 months to get appointed!!! Interviews were tough, but I felt only on the basis that they wanted to know what you really thought about something, rather than what you feel is PC.

NewMagOnTheBlock Mon 12-May-08 16:14:53

I'm a newly appointed magistrate, I'm being sworn in next month. I am pretty much the same as willali apart from the Oxbridge and legal but I am university qualified and a teacher. I was appointed - one of 10 successful candidates out of about 70 applicants I think.

The interviews were tough but if you were prepared - which I was, with help from Cod and another Mag on mumsnet who pointed me in the direction of lots of good websites to read up on, they were fine.

They are NOT allowed to appoint people according to their race, gender, age etc. Originally I had hoped the fact that I'm youngish (32yrs) would stand me in good stead but they mark the interviews on a points basis (highest point scores are appointed) so that everyone is supposed to be on an equal footing.

First interview is about the sort of person you are, views you have etc. The second interview you were given a case study and a seriousness test (how seriously you rated different crimes) to read for about 3/4 hour which you then discussed with the interview panel.

I would go to court and see what you think. I only managed a few visits before my interview but they were interesting. Hope that helps.

FluffyMummy123 Mon 12-May-08 12:42:18

Message withdrawn

willali Mon 12-May-08 12:37:33

I applied last year - thought I would be a good candidate - Oxbridge graduate, legal background, SAHM so time to give, previous volunteering experience. Interview was the worst ever - they were basically obsessed with how many poor ethnic minority people I knew, told me off for privately educating my children etc etc. I appreciate they need to have mags which reflect the local populace but I live in leafy suburbia!!!! In the week running up to the interview I spent a few hours every day sitting in the mags court (as they advise you to) and NOT ONE of the all white all late middle age all VERY middle class mags could have answered any differently than I did. They clearly have quotas to fill....It was an extremely dispiriting experience as I know I could do a good job. Sorry to be so negative but you should be aware of what it is they are looking for (or what they are not looking for more like!) Good Luck

McDreamy Mon 12-May-08 10:39:08

I am interested in applying to become a magistrate when I return to the UK in the summer.

Can anyone share their experiences? There must be a couple of magistrates on mumsnet?

How much time do you commit to? Do you work as well?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now