Any point applying when they 'favour' certain applicants?

(3 Posts)
ricepolo Sun 27-Nov-16 14:05:08

I've found a great looking job. It's for a charity and it says that 'particularly welcome' applications from people facing the issues the charity helps with. I'm not and neither is my close family (this isn't necessary to do the job: it's not a hands-on role). Is it even worth applying or will they automatically choose the candidate who is facing this particular issue? I'm not arguing against this form of positive discrimination, in case I get shot down for seeming to do so, more wondering if it's worth the effort of writing a personal statement if I'm going to be almost automatically excluded from the running.

NoTractorsAtTheTable Sun 27-Nov-16 14:10:53

Definitely still worth applying! In my experience, candidates with the background they want are likely to get an interview (IF they apply - don't assume they will!) but at the same time, they won't knock back a suitably qualified candidate for interview. It's a shot worth taking, IMHO.

Matildatoldsuchdreadfullies Sun 27-Nov-16 14:15:12

My sister was the candidate whose application was 'particularly welcome.' She got rather used to going to interviews to discover that her interview was mere lip-service, and she was not a genuine candidate after all.

So yes, it's definitely worth applying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now