Anyone a project manager?

(8 Posts)
BWatchWatcher Fri 18-Nov-16 19:22:54

Hi guys,
Is anyone a project manager?
Work are offering to retrain people.
I've been in a technical role for years, had dipped my toes in management, but I'm not sure it's for me.
I'm a project lead and already allocate work and spec it. I'm exhausted though. I manage all the code releases, fill in everything amd still have tech work on top. Meanwhile I'm meant to be learning new tech and creating new designs.
I like the managing and analysing.
Any ideas? I also fear my tech skills are not transferable. I'm mostly good at a range of things but not excellent at any of them.
Bleh.
Thanks!

yeOldeTrout Fri 18-Nov-16 19:32:43

not me, but I sit next to one.
He spends a lot of time managing personalities, and forecasting problems so that he can prevent them. Also all the bureaucracy of procedure, policy & rules. And money, gotta manage money....

Friend produces online games & gets like 200 emails a day of progress reports; has to be very organised to spot where things are going right or wrong.

Lalunya85 Fri 18-Nov-16 19:41:19

I am.

Plan lots of buffer time when designing project timelines. There will always be people delivering their input late, or someone gets sick, or someone cancels a meeting...

Don't be afraid to be firm with colleagues. This can be tough if you're on friendly terms, and if the new role means that you might now be in a position to manage them.

Show people that you are serious about deadlines etc, and in my experience the vast majority of people will deliver as they should. There will always be a few that don't. It's annoying. Make sure you tell people that if they can't meet deadlines, they need to initiate and tell you in advance so you can plan accordingly.

Dont micromanage. It's patronising and annoying. Having said that, I have micromanaged in the past if certain colleagues were so unreliable I had to watch their every step. Terrible.

The fact you are project manager doesn't mean you have to know everything. It's all about splitting the work in a sensible way and understanding your weak and strong points. Get good people on your team! smile

BWatchWatcher Fri 18-Nov-16 19:45:41

Briliant advice folks!
Thanks so much!
Lalunya, do you like it?

MotherFuckingChainsaw Fri 18-Nov-16 19:48:28

If you are asking whether it's a good idea to train as a PM

I'd say yes. I'm a PM in another industry, having being eased into it from a technical role by my employer. I prefer the tech stuff, but I love that having some PM experience means I have a massively transferable skill set. Work paid for me to do loads of stuff like PRINCE2 and contract management training so I'm quids in with it. I only let them guide me into it because my industry is notoriously boom-bust and I thought it might help me weather the next bust cycle a little better if I broadened my transferable skills. Seems to be working so far.

If you take them up on it are you locked in?

Microwaste Fri 18-Nov-16 19:51:55

You sound like me! I trained as a project manager after maternity leave, but honestly found it so difficult to manage as a part-timer. I worked three days and would always get in on a work day to find whatever was supposed to have been done in my absence hadn't been.
I hated it and didn't return to work after my next maternity leave. Now I'm trying to get back to work after a period at home and am hoping to go back to a technical role - machines suit me better than people!

Lalunya85 Fri 18-Nov-16 21:12:52

I really love it.

I love interacting with people and pulling together lots of strings to make something bigger happen.
You have to be very organised, but I love planning and structuring so it suits me.
I also quite like telling people what to do... blushgrin

BWatchWatcher Fri 18-Nov-16 23:55:20

Ooo ;) I think I could do that!
Thank you!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now