Civil Service Advice

(5 Posts)
JoChapman Fri 11-Nov-16 13:50:23

Hi all,

I am returning to work and looking at a C1 grade Civil Service job in Glasgow within a major Government dept with offices across most of the UK. There is a "mobility clause" within the terms and conditions stating:

"Full time staff at Band D level and above are also considered mobile across the <Government Dept> in the UK and overseas."

That seems a fairly major clause! Presumably there are limitations or restrictions? I don't particularly want to take a job in Glasgow and then be told I need 24 months later I need to relocate to the other end of the country. I am told this is a standard clause for civil service personnel but I don't see how they can expect everyone/anyone to be ready to up sticks and move as required? Accordingly I am wondering if I have misunderstood?

hutchblue Fri 11-Nov-16 19:05:06

I'd say nothing is certain beyond the end of this week in the terms of employment these days.
If you want job permanence I suggest finding yourself a Tardis and a quick trip back to the 1950s where a job was for life ;)
Sorry, I'm only teasing but I think perhaps your expectations may be a little too high.
If you want to stay in Glasgow, could you not find another job within the Civil Service and stay there? They seem to be very good at allowing people to move within departments.
As it is a government role, I don't think you can expect location permanance, as government has a nation-wide remit but also, I have a couple of friends who work in the CS and they both move around constantly within departments at the same location and never moved anywhere else. Maybe it's the same in Glasgow?
They probably just have to put that in the job application to be seen to be 'fair/equal' etc', do the box-ticking etc.

BananaPie Fri 11-Nov-16 19:11:29

I would say that it is very unlikely that they would force you to go anywhere you didn't want to. The clause is there to ensure the workforce is flexible, but it is very rarely enforced.

Rumdoodler1 Fri 11-Nov-16 19:36:24

This is indeed a standard clause for new civil servants.
The reality is that they are unlikely to make staff move if it can be avoided and they would consult you and would have to give you reasonable notice if they did exercise this right.

JoChapman Sat 12-Nov-16 10:13:52

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now