How to reply to 'tell me a bit about yourself' when you don't have anything to tell?

(8 Posts)
KateLivesInEngland Wed 09-Nov-16 22:16:18

I'm job hunting after a career break, been approx 10 years.
I've had one interview and and the first question asked was 'tell me about you' and I just waffled! I didn't get the job, I went to pieces a bit.
I'm a mum, I do mum crap and I don't have any hobbies.
Do you invent something or just phrase better?
I'm applying for part-time lower level admin jobs at the moment, I want to get my foot back in the door and to at least get something relevant on the CV and also just accustom myself with working again.
Please help wine

KateLivesInEngland Wed 09-Nov-16 22:17:55

By the way, got another interview for great job on Friday!

Bookishandblondish Wed 09-Nov-16 22:28:55

Ok so thinking about how I introduce myself, you need three short sentences. E.g. previously I did X, took a career break to bring up family and now looking to do Y.

You actually don't need more than that -it is literally highlights and succinct explanation.

BackforGood Wed 09-Nov-16 22:54:57

Agree with Bookish. It's just a bit of a 'settling' question - supposedly to help you relax in to the interview.
Tell them what you did before, the fact you've had a career break to bring up your family and that you are now looking forward to X,Y,Z
If there's anything you do, or have done that might be in some way related (treasurer for something? Secretary of something you volunteer with?) particularly if it shows you are up to date with something you might use - say a spreadsheet or other IT things, then bring that into th e conversation. Or if you enjoy volunteering with Brownies or something, mention that - it often makes a connection with someone.

hutchblue Thu 10-Nov-16 10:14:27

Yes good advice above and then actually practice saying the sentences out loud and then in front of the mirror at yourself. It feels a bit weird but I find actually saying stuff out loud gets it to lodge in my brain and feel more natural when the time comes to say it at interview.

Write out some sentences and then say them over and over again. There's nothing like practising to get it to stay there.

Job on Friday probably won't ask that question!! It's dreadful!! I did just the same at an interview a few years ago when they asked me about myself and why i wanted the job. Gave all sorts of unneeded crap about myself smile Didn't get the job!

But now I know about this question it's like a chance to describe your past and what you want for your future, why you're looking to work again.

I just say I want to have a life outside of being a Mum and be valued for the skills I learnt from before having children and pick them up again and keep growing/learning. Which is true for many of us who've been at home a long time. We've done the hard work of raising the little people in the early intensive years, now it's back to us ;) Well sort of :D

KateLivesInEngland Thu 10-Nov-16 13:50:37

Thankyou everyone, I will practice these tips.

KateLivesInEngland Tue 15-Nov-16 11:09:47

Thank you to all that offered suggestions, I got the job! A great job with prospects so I'm quite glad I didn't get the first one now as it would have been fairly dead end and prevented me from finding this one smile

hutchblue Tue 15-Nov-16 13:55:31

Congratulations Kate!!!
Fantastic smile So pleased it all worked out and all for the best in the end!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now