Dinner lady interview tomorrow!!!

(23 Posts)
Charlottelouiseox Tue 18-Oct-16 17:31:24

Hi! I have a interveiw tomorrow, at my children's school for a dinner lady. They've contacted my references already, is that a good or bad sign? I've been out of work for quite a while, but I'm ready to get back out here.

Any tips or advice? I am literally pooping myself. confused

Charlottelouiseox Tue 18-Oct-16 17:32:07

What sort of questions and answers should I expect?

sluj Tue 18-Oct-16 17:35:15

It may not come up but have a look at safeguarding issues. It's everyone's duty to report if they think there is something wrong in a child's life. I don't work in a school so you will have to Google it.
I should imagine you might have to talk about food hygiene if you are going to be handling food. And health and safety in the kitchen/playground?
No idea really but I wish you the best of luck !

KP86 Tue 18-Oct-16 17:37:39

Congratulations on your interview.

Some things to think about:
Being prepared for children with allergies

Ask about process if child doesn't have money

Definitely safeguarding, in a general sense

Preparing a nutritious menu plan

Charlottelouiseox Tue 18-Oct-16 17:40:54

Brilliant thank you!

I've been reading the schools policy on safeguarding and child protection and what would job enrol.

The question that usually throws me of is if I have anything to ask them? I don't want to say no and not seem interested

hesterton Tue 18-Oct-16 17:42:46

I hope you are not literally pooping yourself!

There will almost certainly be a question about safeguarding, which will be given a lot of weight.

Remember:

You can't agree to keep a child's secret

You should always, always pass on any child welfare concern to the school's child protection officer, asap, without chatting about it to anyone else.

You should never share social media or exchange phone numbers with a child.

Basically, make it clear that if you are in any doubt whatsoever about a child's safety or wellbeing, you will make it your business to speak to the appropriate member of staff.

Also - equal opportunities - there may be a question about that.

Consider that equal opportunities may mean more help for one child if they are further away from the starting point. It doesn't mean treating everyone the same regardless.

But it does mean ensuring all children have equal access to anything on offer as far as possible, so, for example, noone should tell a girl she can't play football because of her sex.

That should cover a couple of potential questions!

hesterton Tue 18-Oct-16 17:44:15

And if a child discloses something bad to you, listen without asking leading questions, and write down what they said asap, handing it to cp officer.

BlackDoglet Tue 18-Oct-16 17:50:16

Safeguarding will be No1.

A question we always ask is: "if you are supervising in the playground and a child runs out if the school gates/ premises, what would you do?"

potentialqualms Tue 18-Oct-16 17:52:07

Ime, decent applicants are few and far between so you have a very good chance.

References are always taken before interview - it's a requirement of safer recruitment (safeguarding)

At our school we have prospective midday come in and do a lunchtime rather than a formal interview as we've found the best ones are people from backgrounds where they won't have much interview experience, so don't perform well, but do interact very well with the children

potentialqualms Tue 18-Oct-16 17:54:45

I don't understand questions like that Blackdogley. Surely you have a policy for that which will be covered in the induction. It doesn't matter what the interviewee thinks is the right thing to do. It matters that she knows and implements the policy once she's started.

hippoinamudhole Tue 18-Oct-16 18:05:35

If they ask why you want the job doing tell them it will fit nicely round the children, that just sounds like you only want the job because it's convenient.

hippoinamudhole Tue 18-Oct-16 18:06:18

Don't tell them it will fit nicely round the children

Charlottelouiseox Tue 18-Oct-16 18:08:54

Thank you for all your tips!
Blackdoglet. Honestly I'd have no idea how I would answer that. However I'd raise alarm and I would try my best talking and encouraging the child back in, how would you expect someone to answer that?

hippoinamudhole Tue 18-Oct-16 18:15:31

Best thing is not to go after the child because if they run away from you straight into the road you could be at fault if they get run over. If there is an opportunity to talk to the child keep repeating you cannot keep them safe while they are outside the school, and yes definitely let someone know before you do anything

Charlottelouiseox Tue 18-Oct-16 18:20:39

Oh yes, I didn't even realise that could be a possibility. I have lots of homework tonight

hippoinamudhole Tue 18-Oct-16 18:24:54

Let us know how you get on

hesterton Tue 18-Oct-16 18:29:54

Another thing which might be useful for an answer is the idea of turning negatives into positives e.g. Instead of telling a child they can't go into one area of the playground, you reinforce the areas they can go into. Not, 'Don't play roughly' but a firm 'We play gently here'.

BlackDoglet Tue 18-Oct-16 18:51:29

Hippo is right. Also you shouldn't chase after them (which is a natural reaction!) as you'd be leaving the rest of those in your charge without supervision.
I agree with PP that there should be policies and procedures in place that you'll read on induction, but they may not cover every scenario and you wouldn't be expected to know all the procedures at interview.

Charlottelouiseox Tue 18-Oct-16 23:05:27

Brilliant thank you for all you're tips!! I hope I don't start talking jiberish or get the paw patrol song in my head🙈

Here's hoping!! Will keep you updated!

ThatGingerOne Tue 18-Oct-16 23:17:08

If you want to be a dinner lady like mine was you could 'graze' as we called it. One of them liked to walk around and pinch a bit of food from each kid. grin

Charlottelouiseox Wed 19-Oct-16 16:05:46

Interview went well. I think my experience working in and around children let me down. But they didn't say when I'd find out by. Not knowing going Tod rove me crazy

Charlottelouiseox Thu 27-Oct-16 19:43:43

Still no phone call or letter... usually other jobs I found out straight away!

hippoinamudhole Thu 27-Oct-16 19:51:57

I would imagine they are on half term holiday at the moment though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now