Flexible working considered: how to broach this

(9 Posts)
winkywinkola Sat 01-Oct-16 10:00:12

I've got an interview on Wednesday.

The job advert said flexible working considered.

What does that mean then? Working from home? Covering the stipulated hours when you can, be it day or evening?

And in the interview, should I approach this question only if I get offered the job?

I mean, I would prefer to work from home. I do already as a freelancer but my current work isn't keeping me busy enough.

I've not had an interview in ten years so I don't want to mess this one up becoming across as grabby and opportunist, iyswim?

hutchblue Sat 01-Oct-16 10:32:56

There are lots of different ways to work flexibly.

www.gov.uk/flexible-working/types-of-flexible-working

Usually at the end of the interview there's a chance to ask questions to the interviewer about the company etc and I'd suggest asking then.

You could couch in fairly vague terms like "I saw in the advert for this role that you may offer flexible working. Could you give me a bit more information about that and how it would work if I was to start working here?"

There's also more detail in this link below about flexible working and it mentions you can't formally ask for flexible working until you've been at a company for 26 weeks.

www.workingfamilies.org.uk/articles/flexible-working-after-30th-july-2014-a-guide-for-employees/

Maybe just good background knowledge smile

Good luck with your interview! I hope you get the job! smile

winkywinkola Sat 01-Oct-16 11:31:23

Thank you v much for those links and your advice. Brilliant.

SherryRB Mon 03-Oct-16 20:25:32

I've written about flexible working on my blog: theconfidentmother.co.uk/flexible-working-rights/ plus there's this article from Talent Gateway from the employer's perspective: www.linkedin.com/pulse/employers-guide-flexible-working-part-5-barriers-how-overcome-jupp

Sherry

winkywinkola Wed 05-Oct-16 15:36:00

Brilliant. Thanks Sherry.

The interview went well. They said they were prepared to accommodate home working for the right person but it's an office based role really. 22.5 hours a week so like 10-2/3pm every day.

It's school holidays I'm worried about too.

I wonder if they offered me the role, I should just say from the off I could be in the office one of two days a week and work from home the rest.

It's all such a juggle with the dcs the dogs and school holidays. The pay isn't marvellous either but I guess getting back into work is never easy.

SherryRB Wed 05-Oct-16 16:09:17

So the law says that to make a formal application, you need to have been employed for 26 weeks, however that doesn't mean you can't request flexible working before that. If you want to work from home one day a week, be prepared to compromise. Don't just say what you want.

One compromise could be to work in the office in school term; from home during school holidays.
Or to work the first 3 months in the office (so you build relationships, on the job training, they get to realise that you're conscientious etc) then work from home one day a week after 3 months.

Offer to do on a 1 month or 3 month trial basis so that it gives everybody wiggle room; even if it's not needed.

Good luck.

SherryRB Wed 05-Oct-16 16:09:56

Perhaps also helpful to find out if anybody at the company has already got some sort of flexible working pattern.

winkywinkola Wed 05-Oct-16 22:21:14

Hi Sherry,

The two people who interviewed me work from home. They also travel a bit to London and Manchester. They are in the office 1 or 2 days a week max. That's why they want me there all the time.

I'm thinking my petrol bill will rocket - it's 20 mins drive away and 40 mins from my dcs' school. The pay isn't that great and well, perhaps it's just not right for me.

Shame as there was a real positivity in the interview. They said they would consider homeworking for a few days in the interview (for the right candidate), then an hour later, they called me, said how they enjoyed the interview, could I come for a second interview but that they required office presence five days a week. Which seemed to contradict what they said earlier.

Not to worry. Something more suitable will come up.

I do appreciate all your input on this. Thank you.

SherryRB Mon 10-Oct-16 16:15:57

It was fabulous interview experience and the right thing for you is around the corner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now