Leaving job whilst on maternity leave and pay....what am I (we) entitled too...

(9 Posts)
MrsPearce2015 Tue 13-Sep-16 18:14:49

Ok so I am on maternity leave for my second child. I planned on taking the whole 39 weeks. The problem is I now don't want to return to my job. I have actually secured a new job that starts at the end of this month....

I have been told yes, then no then a 'oh sorry I don't deal with that, you'll have to call payroll' even a 'oh I'll have to get back to you on that, can you wait til the end of next week?' Wtf?

SO my question(s) are/is even though I am leaving my current job in 3 weeks time, am I still entitled to the whole 39 weeks pay? or just this month and any holiday I have accrued?

thanks ppl

StandoutMop Tue 13-Sep-16 18:17:15

I think if you are employed elsewhere you are no longer on mat leave, so no longer entitled to mat pay.

OneEpisode Tue 13-Sep-16 18:20:18

One question is "are you allowed to be employed in both jobs at the same time?"
Usually the terms and conditions in your hr stuff say no. Sometimes there is an option to have multiple jobs, "with consent", but that is not often agreed to! So usually we have to resign from one job before starting the next..

sixinabed Tue 13-Sep-16 18:23:51

As above my understanding is you are only entitled to smp while employed but not working, it automatically ends when your mat leave ends which is deemed to be when you return to work or cease to be employed by that employer, so as you will be ceasing employment and returning to work elsewhere you definitely won't qualify for any more smp.
I know that you accrue holiday entitlement whilst on Mat leave but no idea if you would technically need to end your mat leave and go onto holiday pay in order to take that money if you're leaving?
Good luck in your new role

OutragedofLondon Tue 13-Sep-16 18:24:04

You will only be paid up to the point your employment ends surely? Presumably you don't have any claw back in your contract regarding enhanced maternity pay but double check to be on the safe side.

Ninasimoneinthemorning Tue 13-Sep-16 18:24:36

Are you on SMP on its own or additional maternity pay too? As you could end up paying that back.

How long have you been off? I don't think you can claim SMP and start a new job either

Ninasimoneinthemorning Tue 13-Sep-16 18:25:45

Be careful I got totally screwed by my work place over accrued holiday pay.

MrsPearce2015 Tue 13-Sep-16 18:34:11

thank you everyone!

ok so I thought as much in regards to no longer being in employment with them and then starting a new job. its actually quite obvious I know, but upon calling my hr, I was told otherwise! hence the confusion

Ive taken 6 1/2 months now, was going to return officially in November then use my holiday to cover a month until December.

I don't have to pay anything back no, I made sure to ask! as it doesn't say it in my policy.

OneEpisode Tue 13-Sep-16 18:39:19

By the way most of the employment contracts where I work say 4 weeks min notice of resignation. But I know we can mutually agree a shorter notice period. You can quote your last day of employment and the holiday pay you are entitled to in your resignation letter if that helps...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now