Concentration

(4 Posts)

Hello - I went back to work 5 months ago after DS2, I'm46 and, I work in the public sector. So far in my career one of my skills has been an ability to read and write very boring, complex documents very quickly. It's not useful unless you work in the public sector, but I can, so I do. Or.... I could. Something has kind of evaporated in my brain in the last few weeks, and I can't focus on anything at all. I have been winging it a bit, and so far, over summer nobody has really noticed. However, I need to get my head down for the Autumn term now and I haven't the faintest how to concentrate better on one thing at a time. I can't read more than a page, and when I get to the bottom, I've forgotten what it said at the top. It doesn't seem to matter if I work from home or in the office - I've got the sticking power of a gadfly.

Does anybody have any advice about building focus, or concentration, so that I can just stay with one task and get it done, even if that's reading something through and checking my own understanding of it?

I feel really silly asking this basic question, but it was a skill I took for granted and I have no idea where it's gone, but I want it back before I get busted !

Thank you !

VioletBam Tue 13-Sep-16 14:44:04

You're knackered. I'm 44 and also read and write for a living. If I've not had 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep...I'm good for nothing.

It's our age. You can't run on empty. Are you doing lots of night feedings?

argh, Violet, I know you are right, but I don't want that to be true!

So, we are waking up probs only once or twice in the night, and being forced up for good about 45 minutes earlier than usual routine by new AdoredInfant. Average nightly loss of at least one hour I would say. Sometimes more - eg last night big technicolour yawn, requiring change of sheets, bath and bottle before resettling. All fine, but it takes time and yes, leaves us both a bit slightly broken.

In my optimism tho, I like to think I can press on, it isn't just sleep, that there is something apart from sleep that I can do, to re-learn the concentration.... isn't there ? am I really screwed until small person sleeps for England ? What if it never does?

There must be like things... you can do... to... ..

improve... your....

VioletBam Wed 14-Sep-16 22:23:24

You could try taking Ginko Biloba and soy supplements...are you eating a good diet? Plenty of water?

Also, try to go to bed a bit earlier?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now