Part time, all year or part time, term time..?

(6 Posts)
mammasmadhouse Sun 11-Sep-16 17:54:31

Which do you do and how does it work for you if you have children at school...?

hutchblue Sun 11-Sep-16 18:59:52

I worked part-time for a while all year round.

I wouldn't want to work in a school. Love my kids but I have limits you know!

So I could never work just term time, unless it was a role not being a teacher within a school.

During the holidays it's a bit of a juggle with clubs and things when I was working. But I made it work. I enjoyed the stimulation and having a life again that wasn't connected to my kids or my immediate friend and family circle.

During school time it's a bit stressful. As they are getting older I'm glad I'm not working anymore for an employer as I think they will need help with homework and reading and such. Even working 3 days a week meant those 3 evenings were very intense and full-on.

I'm just starting to work for myself now, it's early days but this is best of all options I hope as I should hopefully be able to choose my own hours a bit more.

JustDanceAddict Fri 16-Sep-16 09:46:52

I work mainly term-time only 4 days (in a school) and so far so good. Means I mainly sync with the DCs' holidays and it makes life a bit easier. I will probably stay there til DD finishes year 11 and then look for something not restricted to term-time only. I have no family help and my kids are too old for childcare, but not quite old enough to be left to their own devices all day in the hols. When they were younger I worked 3 days a week non-term time, but paid for after-school/breakfast & holiday clubs out of my meagre wage! If I could've got term-time only then I would have.

DeepfriedPizza Fri 16-Sep-16 10:53:01

Part time all year round and holidays are planned with military precision. My work and Dh's work are pretty flexible, DH gets a lot of holidays as bank holidays are added on to his entitlement.

I work Monday, Wednesday and Friday. My mum or Mil does a Friday for me and the other days are covered with clubs and taking annual leave.

HelenaJustina Fri 16-Sep-16 13:55:33

Part-time term time, school administration. Perfect fit for me so far (until my Easter holidays don't match up with the DC school ones!)

rollonthesummer Fri 16-Sep-16 13:57:58

Part time/term time. It works well for us-all children at home and grandparents are marvellous and do wraparound grandparenting until we're home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now