NHS Application Form help!!

(4 Posts)
Maki79 Sat 10-Sep-16 15:20:58

I am massively excited about applying for a SLT Assitant role after 15 years as an accountant/economist.

My dh has taken the kids out for a few hours so that I can fill in the application form but I'm a bit stuck and I thought that I'm bound to get some useful advice here!

Basically I've had 5 main employers since University and today (all finance roles). Before that (during A levels and Uni) I worked in the NHS as a Ward Assistant initially then a Healthcare Assistant. Very few hours (after college and summer holidays).
I obviously want to tailor the form as much as possibe to highlight the NHS roles I did SO many years ago, and my personality traits.

However, the form asks for each employer then also to explain any gaps in employment.

As I don't want to bog them down with 5 lots of accountancy roles/tasks, do you think it would be OK to give in detail my last 2 roles, then add into the employment gap section that I haven't included the other 3 employers as they're not relevent to the position I'm applying for or do you think that it will look like I'm being lazy or have something to hide??

I really really really want to be given the chance of an interview, although I know it's very slim so I need this application to be as good as it can be.

Thanks so much if you've got this far!

tribpot Sat 10-Sep-16 15:39:37

No - you need to fill it in as it specifies. The whole point of using a standard application form like this is to prevent applicants from being able to tailor things too much and make it hard to compare candidates fairly. You need to fill it all in and account for the gaps.

The fact that all your recent experience isn't relevant will be difficult for you to overcome, but this is where your personal statement comes in.

I think you probably do need to be realistic about how your application will compare to possible others with more recent NHS experience, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. At the very least you are getting application practice and can have a conversation with them about how to gain relevant (voluntary?) experience if you aren't successful this time. Fingers crossed for you.

Maki79 Sat 10-Sep-16 16:53:31

Thankyou tribpot, useful advice!

I am realistic, and I know that it's very unlikely that I'll get an interview but I'm prepared to spend the many hours filling this form in just in case they decide I might be worth a gamble!!

tribpot Sat 10-Sep-16 19:21:52

Make sure you link your recent experience to the essential and desirable competencies if you can.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now