How to fill the gap?

(5 Posts)
user1470164980 Fri 05-Aug-16 17:25:16

Hello,

I hope you are all great. I took a career break before having my daughter (fertility treatment/personal reasons) then I had her and decided to be a stay at home mum for a couple of years. That means that I have never been on maternity leave, and now I want to go back to work. I am writing my CV and I don’t know what to write in the stay at home mum gap. What do mother’s who go back to work do these days?
Off topic/Btw, how do I change my user name in here?

SherryRB Fri 05-Aug-16 20:03:36

Sorry don't know how to change your user name but with regards to your CV. Generally I would suggest to mums that they don't need to hide the career break but ideally, you want to demonstrate WHAT you have done during that career break to keep your skills ticking over e.g. have you been treasurer for your local NCT branch (accounts, attention to detail)? did you help to run the toddler the group (leadership, volunteer coordination)? did you help out in your local church? or organise a big project such as a house extension etc.

I hope that helps.
Sherry

Obsidian77 Fri 05-Aug-16 20:18:13

I'm in a similar situation to you. Have found useful advice on recruitment agency websites, although for some reason I can't post any links. Check out Robert Walters website, Careers Advice section, articles about Women Returning to the workforce. Could you look at any returnship schemes? Good luck.

user1470164980 Fri 05-Aug-16 22:18:22

Thank you Sherry RB, I will think about transferable skills… Obsidian77 I am going to look at that website. I found one that I really like, it’s called standout cv but they don’t mention anything specific about “stay at home mums”. In any case I really liked their website.

user1470164980 Sat 06-Aug-16 10:20:10

Anyone else? blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now