Interview for teaching assistant help!

(13 Posts)
Banana99 Mon 11-Jul-16 13:24:27

So I've got an interview for a teaching assistant post.

I am desperate to get it. I've not been a TA before. I have years experience of working with children in a more informal environment though.

The job is a little unusual as its actually working on a project with the teachers mostly (which relates to my old job and am very qualified for) but there is the option for more hours working as a TA reading with the children

I just want to say all the right things help!!!

ShirazSavedMySanity Mon 11-Jul-16 13:55:35

I interviewed for my first TA job 4 weeks ago and got it!! Woohooo!!!! I've never done anything like it before but I have been volunteering in a school for a while.

I was asked about safeguarding and what I would do if x happened. I replied that I would pass any information on to the safeguarding officer and never promise to keep a child's secrets.

I was asked about how I would build relationships with a child. I was asked abut being inclusive. As it was a church school I was asked about Christian values.

I can't really remember anything else as it was such a blur. I do remember being asked about outdoor learning and what experience I had of working with children with additional needs.

I had to listen to a Reception class child read at the start of the interview.

Good luck!!!

Banana99 Mon 11-Jul-16 14:24:57

Thank you!

JustDanceAddict Sat 16-Jul-16 08:20:08

They will always ask about safeguarding.

SnoopDoggyDogg Sat 16-Jul-16 08:29:46

I've been a TA since January. I got asked to give examples of situations where I've dealt with challenging behaviour and also a time I've felt rewarded when dealing with children. Safeguarding also so read up on that and the school's policy. Why did I want the job, what qualities I have that I could bring to the job etc. Experience with children (I'd never worked in a school before but had been volunteering and I also childmind in the afternoons so used examples from those)
Good Luck!!

RadicalPessimist Sat 16-Jul-16 08:36:01

I got offered a TA job yesterday! I had two interviews last week so have very recent experience in this.

Safeguarding came up in both interviews. It's a standard question as PP says - 'what would you do if a child disclosed something that could be a child protection issue?' Answer is that you must listen, don't interrupt or ask questions and don't say you'll keep the information secret. Then immediately afterwards pass on to the Safeguarding team.

I was also asked about what I thought could be barriers to a child's learning, what I would do if a child was disruptive in class, what I thought the role of a TA was, to give an example of when I had managed difficult behaviour successfully and asked what I thought I could bring to the school. This was useful in helping me think about the questions I might be asked.

Both schools also wanted to observe me working with a group of children for half an hour or so and one school requested I sat a short (25 minutes) basic maths and literacy test. So be prepared for that possibility as well!

RadicalPessimist Sat 16-Jul-16 08:40:51

Yes and as Snoop says it's helpful to read the school's policies beforehand. They should have their Behavioural Policy, Bullying Policy, Safeguarding Policy etc on their website. I would familiarise yourself with all of these as well as the most recent Ofsted Report so you can talk more knowledgably about the school. It's also useful in an interview to be able to say 'I would then immediately report the matter to Mrs X the Safeguarding lead' as it shows you've done your research IYSWIM?

ChickyDuck Sat 16-Jul-16 08:52:43

This is going to sound very silly but it is important. My mum has been involved with this kind of recruitment, and is always staggered at how some applicants just don't seem to like children very much. A TA needs to be really enthusiastic about kids, school and learning and you really need to try and get that across to the panel!

SnoopDoggyDogg Sat 16-Jul-16 11:51:38

Yes def look like you love kids! I had to bring in a book from home to read to a group of children so chose one that my children really like and tried to come across as fun and really interacted with the kids and asked them questions about themselves.

SnoopDoggyDogg Wed 20-Jul-16 07:18:48

How was your interview? Have you had it yet?

Banana99 Thu 21-Jul-16 17:59:33

Thanks for asking but I had it last week and it was a total disaster...... Nerves got me

Very disappointed

RadicalPessimist Thu 21-Jul-16 19:32:12

Never mind OP. Most people have had a bad interview at some point. It happens. Don't beat yourself up but try and use it as a learning experience as to what you might do differently next time.

KeepClam76 Thu 22-Sep-16 11:09:51

Hi All,
I am TA currently not working but I have got a job interview for HLTA. At the interview, I have been asked to show active lesson plan. Can anyone please guide me. How it should be? What the school wanted to see at??
What are they actually looking for ??
Please help me !!!!
I am wanted this job desparately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now