Why are TA roles seen as temporary?

(13 Posts)
cakedup Thu 12-May-16 20:46:14

I'm looking for work and considering TA positions. I've noticed a lot of the job ads say things like "a great way to kick-start your career in teaching" or "looking for a way to gain experience in a school prior to teacher training?".

I definitely don't want to be a teacher, but wondering why a TA role is not seen as an end role in itself, rather than a pathway to a teaching career. Some even seem to prefer candidates who are wanting to end up as teachers.

TheDrsDocMartens Thu 12-May-16 20:47:24

Often attached to children or specific projects.

NewLife4Me Thu 12-May-16 20:49:16

It's a great way for trainee teachers to gain teaching experience so this is stated.
you don't have to want to be a teacher.
To confuse things more, there are many qualified teachers who have left teaching and are now TA's.
you can go for a position and find it's taken by a teacher, especially if it's advertised for a specific school and not agency.

cakedup Thu 12-May-16 20:51:32

there are many qualified teachers who have left teaching and are now TA's. That doesn't surprise me in the slightest! I was just telling my mum, being a TA is a bit like being a grandparent; you get all the best bits without the huge responsibility and long hours!

cakedup Thu 12-May-16 20:52:25

Oh yes that's a point TheDrsDocMartens, I have seen some TA roles attached to specific children.

JOEYDOESNTSHAREFOOD Thu 12-May-16 20:54:35

Funding is linked to a specific student, or sometimes sourced form pupil premium - both of which fluctuate on a yearly basis.

Pico2 Thu 12-May-16 20:58:21

There is probably a perception that you attract better candidates if it is a stepping stone to a more qualified career. Whether that actually is the case, I've no idea.

NewLife4Me Thu 12-May-16 21:08:26

I am applying for a cover supervisor job, you don't need to be a teacher as it is only covering, baby sitting really.
The work is already prepared and the cv photo copies it for students, no teaching at all.

I am a qualified teacher who would much prefer this to teaching and the environment I came from, this is better paid tbh.
There will be lots of other teachers applying for the same job.

NewLife4Me Thu 12-May-16 21:10:28

you can usually tell as it will say funded until x time, which means it's for a particular child, not the full class.

cakedup Fri 13-May-16 14:24:44

I'm surprised to hear you don't have to be a qualified teacher to be a cover supervisor NewLife4Me!

NewLife4Me Fri 13-May-16 14:35:13

There is no teaching involved cakedup

All you do is hand out pre prepared work from the teacher. There's no marking, you don't even have to know about the curriculum but and course you pick it up from the various classes you cover.
It involves things like supervising breakfast and after school activities, detention, playground duty.
Photo copying work, taking registers, obviously knowing emergency procedures.
Supporting the policies and procedures of the school, I think that's about it.
Oh, some that work in secondary also invigilate for exams.

iwillnevereatspaghetti Fri 13-May-16 14:45:10

There's a difference between a teaching (teacher's assistant) and a LSA (learning support worker). LSAs are attached to specific children and are there to ensure that those children with additional needs are able to access the curriculum.

TheDrsDocMartens Fri 13-May-16 16:03:45

Here all advertised jobs are referred to by grade , LSA isn't used so it can be a regional thing in adverts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now