Worried about references for my roller-coaster career

(7 Posts)
DependencyInjection Sat 07-May-16 14:12:18

In 21 days I start a new job, the offers been made and I received the link to the third party firm who will be doing all the checking.

I've been credit reference checked ( I can see that on my Credit Reference report).

I've got no criminal history so that will pass.

I'll pass the anti-money laundering check

My concern is is that my last three years of employment has been awkward. In a nutshell its this;

I quit a perm full time city financial institution because of illness. Then started out as a sole trader/start-up/entrepreneur/whatever and got no where. Then I got a perm job, which I then quit as me and the family moved to a quieter part of the country (from London). I then tried to get the sole trader/start-up/entrepreneur/whatever going again, which has been a fail and has shown me that I'm not suitable to run my own business (some of us just aren't entrepreneurial).

I've filled out my employment history for the employment reference checks honestly and accurately. The two perm jobs are fine, it's just that the two attempts at being a sole trader/start-up/entrepreneur/whatever I have absolutely nothing real to show for it and that's starting to give me sleepless nights (well not quite but you know what I mean).

I don't really know if I'm asking a question or making a statement, or what, just that I didn't want to keep the concern/worry bottled up.

thanks for reading

QuiteLikely5 Sat 07-May-16 14:16:46

Surely they only ask your two most recent employers ?

ijustwannadance Sat 07-May-16 14:21:44

As long as they can get the 2 refs off previous employers I don't see the issue.

DependencyInjection Sat 07-May-16 14:38:10

QuiteLikely5 - I would hope so

ijustwannadance - I hadn't though of that so that make me feel a bit better

Thanks both. I guess just to clarify, the new employer wants past three years of history, so mine goes
-2014 ended perm job
2014-2015 first stab at own business
2015 perm job, then left London
late 2015 till now-ish second stab at own business.

ijustwannadance Sat 07-May-16 14:48:22

It will be fine. You haven't any gaps and still have the minimum refs required. Stop worrying. You have already been offered the job do the hard work is done. The rest is just paperwork. Good Luck!

DependencyInjection Sat 07-May-16 14:56:43

ijustwannadance - thank you again, especially for the Good Luck wish, it's pretty much my dream job in financial services sector I know backwards, in a place that isn't London with a 20 min stroll to the office, where the kids have settled, they have a 5 min walk to school and are doing brownies, cubs and cadets and I'd like to get everything sorted after the turbulence of the last few years.

TomTomKitten Sat 07-May-16 19:52:53

If you've been honest then you've got nothing to worry about. Not everyone is Richard Branson.

Understand where you are coming from as my career is similar over a longer duration!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now